Reasonable fans post game discussion

Because the “open” stat is extremely flawed.

That stat doesn’t consider who is shooting or the shot clock. As earlier posted, that pull up 3 from JJJ with 28 seconds on the shot clock is considered an “open” look and I guarantee you Barnes is going to the film and marking that as a negative play.

Another play. Against Alabama for that 3 near the end…Bailey is considered open. That’s considered a good look. Only person on this board thought that was a good shot considering time and person.

I’d rather have Santi take a 3 with a guy 1 feet away from him than Bailey and JJJ with nobody within 5 feet of them.

I love advanced metrics and numbers, but that “open” stat is severely flawed.
This makes way too much sense. I wonder if JJJ could score in a gym by himself.

This makes way too much sense. I wonder if JJJ could score in a gym by himself.
There are some nights when JJJ couldn't score as the only boy at an all girls school. Fortunately, he does everything else well enough to help negate his offensive woes. He just needs to quit settling for jumpers and drive the ball.

Reactions: Ttucke11
Chris - I haven’t seen him dribbling very much since he returned from the hand injury. Guess we can’t rule out the hand as contributing to his inept offense of late? Seems like he wouldn’t take many shots if his shooting hand was compromised?

Chris - I haven’t seen him dribbling very much since he returned from the hand injury. Guess we can’t rule out the hand as contributing to his inept offense of late? Seems like he wouldn’t take many shots if his shooting hand was compromised?
He's rarely dribbled in 3 seasons really. Always looking to get the ball out of his hands. He plays too unselfish. Like you said, if the hand is still bothering him, I'd surely hope he wouldn't continue to shoot the ball from outside, especially in light of the recent results. I wish he'd try and get to the rim more.

Reactions: walkenvol
Driving to the hole in college must be a different experience than many of these athletes know. I recall Pons as a freshman. Dude could jump like crazy. Don’t recall the game but it was fairly early in the season (might have been Gonzaga). He decided to drive to the basket and tomahawk dunk and the defender blocked him cold. Seemed to make Pons hesitant to try that again for a long time

Reactions: cncchris33
Driving to the hole in college must be a different experience than many of these athletes know. I recall Pons as a freshman. Dude could jump like crazy. Don’t recall the game but it was fairly early in the season (might have been Gonzaga). He decided to drive to the basket and tomahawk dunk and the defender blocked him cold. Seemed to make Pons hesitant to try that again for a long time
Brandon Clarke, Zags, now the Grizzlies

Yep, it was against Gonzaga. Brandon Clarke ate his lunch.

Yep, it was against Gonzaga. Brandon Clarke ate his lunch.

Now, they are team mates. Don’t know if he will work out, but Pons is on one of the best teams for development. They’ve won 10 straight now, and some of these games, they’ve played with guys I haven’t heard of. Desmond Bane has turned out to be a heck of a draft pick as last pick in the first round.

Good to see the Vols reverse their momentum going into a game against a team we usually perform well against. Kentucky is gonna get physical and try to push us around similar to what LSU did. Let's see if that game toughened us up a little.

Reactions: berryvol
Did not catch the game but just a quick peruse of the box score isn’t super encouraging, even considering Vescovi went 2-9 from 3. 15 turnovers way too much considering our pace as well. Another game below 1ppp

Did not catch the game but just a quick peruse of the box score isn’t super encouraging, even considering Vescovi went 2-9 from 3. 15 turnovers way too much considering our pace as well. Another game below 1ppp

0.67 ppp for USC
That’s super encouraging

I mean @mr.checkerboards and @1985Vols are usually here rain or shine after a L???
I saw the game but had to take care of some business after it was over. A win is a win. I think we will all admit SC is one of the worst 2 teams in the SEC. We are hard to watch offensively and I still blame Barnes for that. His rotations and constantly substituting players prevents any kind of rhythm offensively. Now we head North for a matchup with the team that BTO said a few weeks ago wasn’t even considered a tournament team. I guess we shouldn’t have any problem winning that game, right? All kidding aside, if we can somehow pull out a W in Lexington it will take a little sting out of the Bama and LSU losses. However, I am not at all confident based on our continued shooting woes and especially 11-25 from the FT line.

Main problem was FT shooting, offense never got in a rhythm in the first half because of how much they got fouled.

Reactions: cncchris33

VN Store

Back