Reasonable fans post game discussion

Don’t know where all these crazies have come from, but I hate being run off the forum by these guys spewing over the top trollish negativity. If you can’t have a reasonable discussion without mentioning CRB’s salary or making over the top insults of the staff, team, or individual players then please move on to one of the 10 other threads where like minded folks will welcome your venting.

Let the reasonable discussion begin!
What is a “reasonable” discussion? I think most fans, coaches, and players agree that losing to Ole Miss and performing the way the Vols did is a very poor return for the University. It is not unreasonable to ask why that happened. Is it “unreasonable” to discuss coaching, player performance, and scheme? If so, then what’s left to discuss? Bottom line: this team has significantly underperformed and the buck stops with the head coach. He knows that. He’ll either fix it or move on. That’s it. Nothing unreasonable here.

Don’t know where all these crazies have come from, but I hate being run off the forum by these guys spewing over the top trollish negativity. If you can’t have a reasonable discussion without mentioning CRB’s salary or making over the top insults of the staff, team, or individual players then please move on to one of the 10 other threads where like minded folks will welcome your venting.

Let the reasonable discussion begin!
Take off the orange glasses

What is a “reasonable” discussion? I think most fans, coaches, and players agree that losing to Ole Miss and performing the way the Vols did is a very poor return for the University. It is not unreasonable to ask why that happened. Is it “unreasonable” to discuss coaching, player performance, and scheme? If so, then what’s left to discuss? Bottom line: this team has significantly underperformed and the buck stops with the head coach. He knows that. He’ll either fix it or move on. That’s it. Nothing unreasonable here.
And yes, Ole Miss felt like a loss, no better than the LSU game. Bad.

I will give it to him, he’s okay and ON isn’t terrible. My main grief is with Fulky in the postn
That poor guy just hasn’t been consistently healthy his entire time here. As a freshman he looked like the potentially best player in a class that included some very good players. The he got hurt and it’s been a roller coaster since. He had a very good year a couple years ago but he was our main offensive weapon, which is not a good thing. He handled it well but since then he’s been battling injuries and just hasn’t been the same.

In order to prevent this from being an echo chamber, what's causing the team to perform a little below expectations?

Is it assimilating freshmen, misses with transfers, lack of continued development from bigs, upperclassmen not performing to recruiting rankings, assistant turnover, combo of all the above?

Yes and COVID-19.

Seems like if there is going to be a "reasonable" discussion then both sides need to agree to some ground rules. For instance, "NegaVols" can't bring up how much Barnes is making. "Sunshine Pumpers" can't bring up how Barnes is way better than Buzz Peterson.

Barnes should try playing small ball for the rest of the year with Plavsic/Fulky on the interior. BHH clearly isn’t going to improve.

At this point, we might as well just take chances on getting open looks for the three.

Have Chandler & ZZ on the floor at the same time and let them loose in transition.

I will do my best to be positive here:

So I went back last night and watched some of the 2019 team. I understand where the Fulk plays too vertical comment comes from, if you watch Grant when he was posting guys up a lot of times he would use his but to keep the defenders away from him and almost crouch forward a little bit. Fulk almsot always seems to lean back into his defender and use more of his upper back and shoulders to try and create space.
Guys like Grant just have a stronger base and better balance. Fulk has neither. Never has. He lacks nearly all basic coordination and looks as much like a baby giraffe learning to walk at age 24 as he did at age 18. It's amazing that he is able to do what he's done at the highest level of college basketball because it has always been in competition against his own body and lack of natural instincts when it comes to balance and coordination. He tries to play his opponent off of him by using his back to push away to set up his hook shot or his high release slight fade-away jumper. Unlike Grant, who used his body to create separation to turn and go thru his defender. A smart defender is going to chest up Fulk and not give him an inch.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Guys like Grant just have a stronger base and better balance. Fulk has neither. Never has. He lacks nearly all basic coordination and looks as much like a baby giraffe learning to walk at age 24 as he did at age 18. It's amazing that he is able to do what he's done at the highest level of college basketball because it has always been in competition against his own body and lack of natural instincts when it comes to balance and coordination. He tries to play his opponent off of him by using his back to push away to set up his hook shot or his high release slight fade-away jumper. Unlike Grant, who used his body to create separation to turn and go thru his defender. A smart defender is going to chest up Fulk and not give him an inch.
Barnes had some interesting comments because I don’t know if prior to him making them I had heard him say this about Fulk, because I often wondered if they were telling him to do this…but he said (paraphrasing) they’ve been preaching to stop posting up back to the basket and trying to back guys down, his strength is separation and quickness in space, not backing guys down who have 40lbs on him. He said that they’ve told him if they played against him they’d welcome that, they’d be physical with him and give him no space.

Maybe the Vols will fix it all and win the next one … since it’s not lack of talent, coaching, or systematic scheme failure. The results will be easy to judge.

Auburn at #4 in new AP and we can't even put two consistent games together with basically the same talent.

They have potentially the #1 prospect in the NBA draft.

Pearl isn’t working with scrubs.

Never said he was, but they aren't that far off from us in talent... But look who's he getting and what he's doing with it compared to Barnes.... that's my argument. Folks gotta quit defending Barnes so much. He's definitely a good coach, but he's just not making the most of the talent he has... I believe he got lazy having Admiral and Williams as lead Alphas basically running the team and he could just sit in his chair during games... That's not the case anymore... when do you ever see him up out of the chair for more than a couple of minutes coaching and yelling during a game?

The exact from layup lines:

In wins, UT is shooting .386 from long range. In losses, that average drops to .188.

In the big picture - the point remains . . . In losses we are not just seeing a drop in how well we shoot from three. It’s a huge drop off.

VN Store

Back