Quote from Arky player about looking forward to playing us.

I have to disagree. Tennessee swept #1 Ole Miss on their field. So Tennessee didn't have the right to celebrate sweeping the #1 team in the country? Really? The team celebrated that victory mightily and they should have. Tenn Tech, and Alabama should have celebrated beating the #1 team as well. If not what do the little ranking numbers beside the names mean, why rank teams if you're not allowed to compare your performance to the other opponent?

If that's the case, then any win over any higher ranked opponent its ok to do an inyourface celebration on their home field/court? Seems to me that basic respect and consideration and sportsmanship says celebrations can be made for any victory, it's just a matter of how and where.

"So Tennessee didn't have the right to celebrate sweeping the #1 team in the country? Really? The team celebrated that victory mightily and they should have."

Sure, no problem, unless we stomped on Ole Miss field inyourface style as if we had just won the world series. If we did that, then I've got a problem with that. Call me old school., but that's the way I look at sportsmanship.

Reactions: MAD
You see programs look to former assistants all the time though, and Vitello is from/played at Missouri so I think a lot of Arkansas fans feel like it's a close to home thing for him as well so it's easy to make the connection. And frankly I don't know if many saw him having this much success at Tennessee this early on.

I'm just not sure I agree that A&M is a more lucrative place in baseball to win a NC at right now than Arkansas. I'd probably say Arkansas is on par with Mississippi State, only they caught the final out in the championship game while we didn't. Arkansas has been a much more successful program than A&M over the last 20 years though and has some of the best facilities and fan support in baseball while racking up top 5-10 classes routinely. A&M has had some good teams but don't think I'd lump them in with the others - people tend to do the same thing with them in football when they have yet to even win the division.[/QUOTE]

In your first paragraph, I've highlighted the key part. Your fanbase has a lot of people who are having the vapors because he has been so successful so fast at a school they consider inferior in baseball. Combine that with their unfounded notion that he owes Arkansas something, and his obvious disagreement with that, and they're having a cow at the perceived disrespect combined with his program surpassing yours in national notoriety so quickly. It's like Paul Simon's old line: "Orangutans are skeptical of changes in their cages."

A&M has money, honey. Lots and lots of it. And facilities. And lots of warmer weather than the Ozarks. The right coach would win there. The others I named are similar - are the same way in potential or already realized potential, mainly because of existing facilities, support and warm weather and recruiting ease.

Reactions: MAD
Arkansas and the other SEC fanbases thought we got lucky last year and told us to enjoy our one year of relevance. They aren’t happy that the Vols baseball program is going to be a force to reckon with and might even be one of the dominant teams for years to come with Vitello at the helm.

Arkansas and the other SEC fanbases thought we got lucky last year and told us to enjoy our one year of relevance. They aren’t happy that the Vols baseball program is going to be a force to reckon with and might even be one of the dominant teams for years to come with Vitello at the helm.

My take on this is simple. On here when posters from other schools show up be classy. Wouldn’t it be great should the time arise if we could glean some insights.

But in LNS…all bets are off. I hope it’s our version of Nolan Richardson’s “…Hell!”

In your first paragraph, I've highlighted the key part. Your fanbase has a lot of people who are having the vapors because he has been so successful so fast at a school they consider inferior in baseball. Combine that with their unfounded notion that he owes Arkansas something, and his obvious disagreement with that, and they're having a cow at the perceived disrespect combined with his program surpassing yours in national notoriety so quickly. It's like Paul Simon's old line: "Orangutans are skeptical of changes in their cages."

A&M has money, honey. Lots and lots of it. And facilities. And lots of warmer weather than the Ozarks. The right coach would win there. The others I named are similar - are the same way in potential or already realized potential, mainly because of existing facilities, support and warm weather and recruiting ease.

While Tennessee is having a phenomenal season I wouldn't quite say they've "passed" Arkansas. I mean, just last year Arkansas had one of the most dominant regular seasons in college baseball history even if it didn't end like everyone expected it would, and has been to Omaha plenty in the last 15 years. If he wins it all this year then sure.

In regards to A&M, Arkansas has money in baseball too. They're one of a few programs in the NCAA who turn a profit in baseball and I would argue Arkansas and Mississippi State are the two best in terms of baseball facilities in the country right now. A&M just seems to be pouring everything into football currently. I'm not sure warm weather has much to do with anything but who knows - not exactly hurting Arkansas in recruiting plus the indoor practice facility makes weather pretty moot in February.

While Tennessee is having a phenomenal season I wouldn't quite say they've "passed" Arkansas. I mean, just last year Arkansas had one of the most dominant regular seasons in college baseball history even if it didn't end like everyone expected it would, and has been to Omaha plenty in the last 15 years. If he wins it all this year then sure.

In regards to A&M, Arkansas has money in baseball too. They're one of a few programs in the NCAA who turn a profit in baseball and I would argue Arkansas and Mississippi State are the two best in terms of baseball facilities in the country right now. A&M just seems to be pouring everything into football currently. I'm not sure warm weather has much to do with anything but who knows - not exactly hurting Arkansas in recruiting plus the indoor practice facility makes weather pretty moot in February.

I don’t think anyone here is claiming we passed you guys or anybody else for that matter. I can’t, or I should say, won’t, speak for anybody else here. Let’s take Arky out of the equation for a minute. I absolutely despise VU, not just in baseball, their very existence. But, I respect what Corbin has built there. I respect their baseball program. I feel the same about UF. The same about LSU(traditionally). Same with the Mississippi schools. I feel the same about Arkansas and CDV.

I don’t understand if the discussion started because y’all wanna fire your coach or y’all are planning ahead for his retirement?

All that said. It’s completely okay for people here to wanna get where programs like yours are. It is completely okay to wanna take what you got. And if you think you can pull our OUR coach, back up the Brinks truck and give it a go.

I’ll tell you what I tell everybody else, respectfully…He. Ain’t. Leaving.

GBO!!!

Guys lets not get to cocky. Arkansas could easily win all 3 in a series as we could take all 3. They have a very good ball team.
Good advice. Odds on UT winning the CWS: 4.5:1. Far better than any other team, but odds say they have less than a 23% chance to win it all. The odds makers don't lose a very often. Not winning the CWS will not diminish this team's accomplishments.

Arkansas is a very good baseball team, but they ain't as good as they were last year. Their pitching staff couldn't hold a candle to the Vols and it's killing them.
What’s funny to read on their message boards is how last years Arky team would run this UT team. I’m not saying they couldn’t beat this UT team but “run us” when they couldn’t run last years UT teams? Based purely on the records, this UT team is better than last years Arkansas team (and every other team in league history) so I don’t know where the massive confidence, combined with the passive disrespect, comes from.

What’s funny to read on their message boards is how last years Arky team would run this UT team. I’m not saying they couldn’t beat this UT team but “run us” when they couldn’t run last years UT teams? Based purely on the records, this UT team is better than last years Arkansas team (and every other team in league history) so I don’t know where the massive confidence, combined with the passive disrespect, comes from.
Also what’s funny to read…

Arkansas Fans: We can’t stand how Vitello and Tennessee are disrespecting the sport of baseball especially since they have no history.

5 minutes later….. same fans.

Arkansas Fans: Hope we hire Vitello as our next coach.

Also what’s funny to read…

Arkansas Fans: We can’t stand how Vitello and Tennessee are disrespecting the sport of baseball especially since they have no history.

5 minutes later….. same fans.

Arkansas Fans: Hope we hire Vitello as our next coach.

Clear example of Johnson envy...

The entire series with last years team was settled by 1 run.

Let that sink in a bit.

That was excting baseball. Win or lose, I wish we played this year.
Hoover environment was insane and, bandwagon or not, I think we raised a lot of eyebrows around the league with the number of fans we brought. The atmosphere reminded me of my first Hoover experience when State and OM played for the championship, in terms of the sheer crowd, excitement, stakes etc.

Arkansas had a championship caliber team a few years ago. Had the title won but missed a routine foul ball , over ran it and clean missed it. Went on to lose that game and the next one for the title…. Had probably the best team in the country last year and won the first super regional game by about 20 runs and turned around and lost the series at home…. Said all that to say this. They have missed two awesome opportunities to win titles. If I was them , based on 2 recent collapses , I would be very very quiet especially to a team that some say might be the best ever. We just need to stay focused and keep grinding every day to get better. It’s not over until the last out is recorded on the field. Go Vols. It is good that we are on their minds. I assure you this team isn’t watching Arky as much as Arky is watching Tenner as they call us. Arky is a great program and I am amused that their coach and players have made remarks about our program the way they have. Rent free does have some sauce to it.

Last edited:
Hoover environment was insane and, bandwagon or not, I think we raised a lot of eyebrows around the league with the number of fans we brought. The atmosphere reminded me of my first Hoover experience when State and OM played for the championship, in terms of the sheer crowd, excitement, stakes etc.

Watching the atmosphere at LNS during the regionals and supers last year was very emotional for me. If I get to see that again, I'm satisfied.

Exactly. And arky this year is nowhere near their team last year.

I tend to agree but if you look at the records, last year's Arkansas team was 13-5 in the SEC at this point while this year's is 12-6 so it's really not that far off. Obviously hard to compare with different schedules in different years.

The last few years have taught me not to get too hung up on the regular season though. Our 2018 team that was one out from winning it all was pretty bad on the road. Mississippi State wasn't really close to the best team in the country last year but just got hot at the right time. That's all that really matters. I hate sounding like an Alabama football fan but no matter what you do in the regular season it sure still feels empty if you don't go to Omaha.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I tend to agree but if you look at the records, last year's Arkansas team was 13-5 in the SEC at this point while this year's is 12-6 so it's really not that far off. Obviously hard to compare with different schedules in different years.

The last few years have taught me not to get too hung up on the regular season though. Our 2018 team that was one out from winning it all was pretty bad on the road. Mississippi State wasn't really close to the best team in the country last year but just got hot at the right time. That's all that really matters. I hate sounding like an Alabama football fan but no matter what you do in the regular season it sure still feels empty if you don't go to Omaha.
It sickens me to think how long it’s been since Bammer wasn’t involved in the final four of the CFP.

Reactions: volsagain
I have to disagree. Tennessee swept #1 Ole Miss on their field. So Tennessee didn't have the right to celebrate sweeping the #1 team in the country? Really? The team celebrated that victory mightily and they should have. Tenn Tech, and Alabama should have celebrated beating the #1 team as well. If not what do the little ranking numbers beside the names mean, why rank teams if you're not allowed to compare your performance to the other opponent?

I don't think. you celebrate "mightily" after beating anybody so early in the season. The Ole Miss series was only our second SEC series. What's more, rankings mean little that early--and Ole Miss is certainly proof of that. I wasn't much impressed by that team and so looked up their schedule after the series: They hadn't beaten anybody of note, as I recall--and I have no idea how or why they were ranked no. 1. Total nonsense that's been confirmed by its current 6-12 SEC record. Act like you've been there--always a good mindset. I'm not saying don't celebrate home runs/wins, etc.--but don't overdue it.

VN Store

Back