Quote from Arky player about looking forward to playing us.

Nah, not it all. I hesitated to post the Petrino photo, because the next thing I know another SEC team will post a Tyndall pic of him on his mom’s phone. It’s good advice.
I felt the same way about the DVH's animated discussions with the umpires. I saw it as a prime example of being careful casting stones. IMO, bigger/better things to do than get in the mud.

I felt the same way about the DVH's animated discussions with the umpires. I saw it as a prime example of being careful casting stones. IMO, bigger/better things to do than get in the mud.

The thing I enjoyed most about the DVH video, was how close he got, inches from ump’s face, but he didn’t touch him. He poked AT him without poking him and I’m pretty sure he called his mom some names but he didn’t cross the line. I can respect that. I also can respect the calculated decision of CFA and CTV.

Tennessee is the rent-free occupant in the space between Arkansas' fans' and players' ears. They spend as much time talking about us as they talk about themselves. It seems to go back to last season when they "wet the bed" in the super-regionals, while we went on to Omaha.
Hey, I come in peace. Sorry you feel that way. Now it is true that Ark fans see what you guys are doing and regardless of what they say they are impressed. Heck, I’m impressed.
My take on the Bama celebrating after winning 6-3 is that they were happy. Tenn doesn’t lose much, so beating the Vols is something to celebrate. That’s how it looked. Last year when y’all walked us off with a big dinger, y’all celebrated. And heck, you should have. Last year we were dominant and y’all beat us that game. We didn’t lose many.
This year y’all seem to be MORE dominant - machine like. Yes, we wet the bed last year. We came within an out of the whole enchilada in 2018. It hurt bad. I guess I don’t get the hate between the two fan bases. We don’t even play this season . My guess is that if we meet in Hoover, y’all will return the favor from last year. But when it comes to the NCAAs, we are living proof to not count your chickens before they hatch. Here’s to hoping the rhetoric on both sides will cool down. Sure we can get after it between the lines. That’s fair. But I for one am impressed with the play of the Vol players. As far as the daddy hats and mink coats go, hey, to each his own. Not my way of doing it, but I can’t stop it and TV is obviously ok with it, so if someone wants y’all to stop, I guess they need to beat you and that seems to be a task not too many teams can handle this year. Seriously, good luck the rest of the way. Maybe we can meet for a best of 3 in Omaha. I’m pretty sure you will be there . It remains to be seen if we can hold up our end. Hope we both are there .

Arkansas players are apparently putting a lot of planned effort into a conference tournament no one tries all that hard to actually win. At least a team that's comfortably in the NCAA tourney field.
I do have to say this about that. Look at how many times we have won that tournament- ONCE. Dave Van Horn is notorious for not throwing his best at Hoover. But last years team was special and we went for it. Little did we know that we wouldn’t be allowed to play in Omaha. As far as this year goes, who knows if Ark will go all out for it. We might have to get some quality wins to ensure a national seed whereas Tenn will be the #1 national seed whether or not you guys win a game in Hoover or not. But I can promise you that as a fan base, the SEC tourney is not the ultimate goal and I’m sure it’s not for Tenn either.

Hey, I come in peace. Sorry you feel that way. Now it is true that Ark fans see what you guys are doing and regardless of what they say they are impressed. Heck, I’m impressed.
My take on the Bama celebrating after winning 6-3 is that they were happy. Tenn doesn’t lose much, so beating the Vols is something to celebrate. That’s how it looked. Last year when y’all walked us off with a big dinger, y’all celebrated. And heck, you should have. Last year we were dominant and y’all beat us that game. We didn’t lose many.
This year y’all seem to be MORE dominant - machine like. Yes, we wet the bed last year. We came within an out of the whole enchilada in 2018. It hurt bad. I guess I don’t get the hate between the two fan bases. We don’t even play this season . My guess is that if we meet in Hoover, y’all will return the favor from last year. But when it comes to the NCAAs, we are living proof to not count your chickens before they hatch. Here’s to hoping the rhetoric on both sides will cool down. Sure we can get after it between the lines. That’s fair. But I for one am impressed with the play of the Vol players. As far as the daddy hats and mink coats go, hey, to each his own. Not my way of doing it, but I can’t stop it and TV is obviously ok with it, so if someone wants y’all to stop, I guess they need to beat you and that seems to be a task not too many teams can handle this year. Seriously, good luck the rest of the way. Maybe we can meet for a best of 3 in Omaha. I’m pretty sure you will be there . It remains to be seen if we can hold up our end. Hope we both are there .

Classy post. Good luck to you folks too. At this moment I think most college baseball fans wanna see it happen too. Much Respect.

GBO!!!

Its sports. Its a game. Not war. I like to see respect amongst coaches and rivals. Doesnt mean you have to dislike or disrespect another coach.
Here here!! I came over here to see what was being said by VolNation and wow, Ark is looked down upon and hated by some. I know I know, it goes both ways with some. I hate that it gets like that. I don’t know why somebody would not respect DVH. He runs a clean program. Everybody thinks he was talking about Tenn when he said something about SEC teams chirping at each other and whooping it up as a player rounds the bases. In fact he was talking about Alabama and he pretty much called them out by name. He has always spoken highly of TV. He said he and TV are good and TV said they stay in touch. Of course it’s gonna get testy on the recruiting trail. But that’s just baseball and college .
I think TV is the real deal and he might in your face but his teams back it up, so I can’t help but respect him. He is building a juggernaut in Knoxville and that scares just about the whole league, but I don’t hate him or the fan base

Here here!! I came over here to see what was being said by VolNation and wow, Ark is looked down upon and hated by some. I know I know, it goes both ways with some. I hate that it gets like that. I don’t know why somebody would not respect DVH. He runs a clean program. Everybody thinks he was talking about Tenn when he said something about SEC teams chirping at each other and whooping it up as a player rounds the bases. In fact he was talking about Alabama and he pretty much called them out by name. He has always spoken highly of TV. He said he and TV are good and TV said they stay in touch. Of course it’s gonna get testy on the recruiting trail. But that’s just baseball and college .
I think TV is the real deal and he might in your face but his teams back it up, so I can’t help but respect him. He is building a juggernaut in Knoxville and that scares just about the whole league, but I don’t hate him or the fan base

Most of us here have a great deal of respect for Arkansas and the program y’all have. Yer always in the running and we’re just trying to get there too. Good luck and thanks for the classy post.

GBO!!!

I've never understood the buddy buddy system among coaches in their conferences unless they were buddies before they began coaching against each other. When I coached HS ball, I was not friends with any of the guys that were in our conference or that were part of our rivals. I could not understand because our AD was best friends with the AD and football coach from our arch rival. He told me once we had to respect them and not beat them so bad. I told him when I came there they were the ones that everyone said I had to beat so I was going to beat them as bad as I could. I do understand respect as there were some guys that had done it a long time and been successful that I respected but we were not buddies. I agree that TV is not looking to make any buddies or friends along the way with rival coaches or umpires.

I’ve been coaching Utrip baseball for the last 7 years and this will be my last year as my son will be aging out and going to high school. I will tell you that my only regret is that I didn’t network with and become friends with other coaches we played routinely over the years. It’s great to be competitive, but life is bigger than sports and relationships matter. All of us coaches were in the business to do the same thing…..teach kids how to play the game the right way and have a positive influence on them as young men. When you realize that, then your attitude as a coach that you espoused in your post makes you look kinda small. Just my 2 cents

I think the difference between Arkansas last year and Tennessee this year is that for the Vol fans, no matter what happens this year, it’s been a huge success and we are enjoying the ride and future of Tennessee baseball. On the other hand, for Arkansas fans it was all or nothing.

Tennessee celebrating a win over Arkansas on Tennessee's home field is one thing. Alabama celebrating a win over Tennessee on Tennessee's home field is quite another. It's sorta like an opponent stomping on our logo at the 50 yard line or mid-court. I may be misremembering things because of my orange glasses, but I can't remember a Tennessee away win where our team took over the opponent's field/logo/court to do an in-your-face celebration.

The heated rhetoric from this year is more due to the incident between DVH and CV last season than anything that's happened this year, IMO. The fact that we've been demolishing everyone in our path this year is helping to add fuel to the animosity, but that's the real origin of things.

Reactions: HeadVol77 and MAD
The thing I enjoyed most about the DVH video, was how close he got, inches from ump’s face, but he didn’t touch him. He poked AT him without poking him and I’m pretty sure he called his mom some names but he didn’t cross the line. I can respect that. I also can respect the calculated decision of CFA and CTV.

There have been so many big league managers who have done just that. Earl Weaver comes to mind, literally turning his cap around so his cap bill wouldn't hit the umps face when Weaver was screaming at him an inch away. But I never saw him touch an ump. He did everything else to them. but never touched them. He kicked dirt on them, wagged his finger in their faces a millimeter away from their noses, but never touched them. Unless it was Billy Martin, who was a REAL hothead, I don't recall any MLB manager or coach every contacting an umpire. It just isn't done. There's no ump bumping in baseball. Tony must control his temper better than that.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
There have been so many big league managers who have done just that. Earl Weaver comes to mind, literally turning his cap around so his cap bill wouldn't hit the umps face when Weaver was screaming at him an inch away. But I never saw him touch an ump. He did everything else to them. but never touched them. He kicked dirt on them, wagged his finger in their faces a millimeter away from their noses, but never touched them. Unless it was Billy Martin, who was a REAL hothead, I don't recall any MLB manager or coach every contacting an umpire. It just isn't done. There's no ump bumping in baseball. Tony must control his temper better than that.

I believe CTV and CFA wanted to get tossed. It was T1, you ever seen that before? I haven’t. Based on Friday…just saying.

Part of me thinks the ump had it coming, part of me says approach the line with piss and vinegar, but don’t cross it.

Elander handled it, the team handled it. But we will likely see that Ump again.

I believe CTV and CFA wanted to get tossed. It was T1, you ever seen that before? I haven’t. Based on Friday…just saying.

Part of me thinks the ump had it coming, part of me says approach the line with piss and vinegar, but don’t cross it.

Elander handled it, the team handled it. But we will likely see that Ump again.

Oh, the ump definitely had it coming, and worse. But that's a line you can't cross in baseball. Maybe one or the other or both wanted to get tossed. I doubt both - that wouldn't be real smart. They may have wanted to make a loud gesture to highlight the horrid home plate umpiring the night before. I would have wanted to do that somehow. But I for sure don't think Tony wanted to get a suspension for four more games by bumping the ump. He just let his temper get away from him and it cost him. It has the potential to cost us a game or two. Especially with Dolly out and apparently Blade coming in, the pitching staff is gonna have to be handled with finesse this weekend. Frank will be there, but not Tony. Let's hope it ends up like Sunday's game - not a problem.

Oh, the ump definitely had it coming, and worse. But that's a line you can't cross in baseball. Maybe one or the other or both wanted to get tossed. I doubt both - that wouldn't be real smart. They may have wanted to make a loud gesture to highlight the horrid home plate umpiring the night before. I would have wanted to do that somehow. But I for sure don't think Tony wanted to get a suspension for four more games by bumping the ump. He just let his temper get away from him and it cost him. It has the potential to cost us a game or two. Especially with Dolly out and apparently Blade coming in, the pitching staff is gonna have to be handled with finesse this weekend. Frank will be there, but not Tony. Let's hope it ends up like Sunday's game - not a problem.

That’s fair. If it doesn’t cost us a meaningful game it’s brilliant.

The hat and coat are no different than the myriad turnover chains/belts that we see in football IMO, so that is completely overblown..

This is true but baseball has always had a different aura about it than football. The "look at me" stuff teams like Ole Miss do is just so cringey like the softball chants from the dugout and pitchers mouthing off from the mound. Of course every team has a bat flip every now and then but some of it just goes overboard from time to time.

I think what gets alot of us Tennessee fans - if I can momentarliy to speak for them - irritated at the Arkansas fan base is the common presumption that because Vitello was a successful assistant at Arky he should automatically come back there to fill the future DVH vacancy if Arky makes a call, no matter how successful he might be somewhere else. As if a place like Tennessee is just a proving ground for Arkansas's next wannabe HC. As if Arkansas is the ultimate destination job for anyone who aspires to win championships in the SEC. Frankly, why would a successful head baseball coach go to Arkansas if he also had the chance to go to LSU, MSU, A&M, or Florida? All of those places are superior to Arkansas in potential to win natties.

You see programs look to former assistants all the time though, and Vitello is from/played at Missouri so I think a lot of Arkansas fans feel like it's a close to home thing for him as well so it's easy to make the connection. And frankly I don't know if many saw him having this much success at Tennessee this early on.

I'm just not sure I agree that A&M is a more lucrative place in baseball to win a NC at right now than Arkansas. I'd probably say Arkansas is on par with Mississippi State, only they caught the final out in the championship game while we didn't. Arkansas has been a much more successful program than A&M over the last 20 years though and has some of the best facilities and fan support in baseball while racking up top 5-10 classes routinely. A&M has had some good teams but don't think I'd lump them in with the others - people tend to do the same thing with them in football when they have yet to even win the division.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
This Arkansas fan recognizes the obsession has gone too far
I run into a lot of Hog fans here in Texas. Largely because Texans can get instate tuition at Arkansas. I've found that I can have good college baseball conversations with them. Their knuckleheads on tweeter and online forums aren't represenative of much of their fan base any more than our knucklehead drivebys.

This is true but baseball has always had a different aura about it than football. The "look at me" stuff teams like Ole Miss do is just so cringey like the softball chants from the dugout and pitchers mouthing off from the mound. Of course every team has a bat flip every now and then but some of it just goes overboard from time to time.

I’m as big of a baseball fan as they come, but this line of thinking is antiquated and stuck in the mud. If baseball has any hope of surviving, it has to change. It’s not the 1950’s anymore. It’s okay for these players to HAVE FUN while playing the sport.

I want to see 500 foot piss missles with Tim Anderson and Vladdy Jr slingin’ the bat half way up the 1st baseline. I want to see Carlos Correa continue to look at the Red Sox pitcher and tap his wrist signaling “It’s My Time” so that Eduardo Rodriguez can then strike him out and shut down the Astros offense the next game and tap his wrist in return.

I want to see Joe Kelly talking mad **** to Carlos Correa and mock him as he walks off the field in a big moment.

Baseball NEEDS this passion and NEEDS this pettiness right now.

College baseball is arguably at a peak of interest this season, and there are a lot of people tuning in this week hoping Tennessee loses and keeping up with the sport because they want to see the “villains” go down.

It is in fact GOOD for the sport when all of this stuff happens. Time to retire the idea that you should just casually stroll around the bases after sending the ball into orbit. Pimp it!

I’m as big of a baseball fan as they come, but this line of thinking is antiquated and stuck in the mud. If baseball has any hope of surviving, it has to change. It’s not the 1950’s anymore. It’s okay for these players to HAVE FUN while playing the sport.

I want to see 500 foot piss missles with Tim Anderson and Vladdy Jr slingin’ the bat half way up the 1st baseline. I want to see Carlos Correa continue to look at the Red Sox pitcher and tap his wrist signaling “It’s My Time” so that Eduardo Rodriguez can then strike him out and shut down the Astros offense the next game and tap his wrist in return.

I want to see Joe Kelly talking mad **** to Carlos Correa and mock him as he walks off the field in a big moment.

Baseball NEEDS this passion and NEEDS this pettiness right now.

College baseball is arguably at a peak of interest this season, and there are a lot of people tuning in this week hoping Tennessee loses and keeping up with the sport because they want to see the “villains” go down.

It is in fact GOOD for the sport when all of this stuff happens. Time to retire the idea that you should just casually stroll around the bases after sending the ball into orbit. Pimp it!
58435B99-C8C7-427E-A63B-D5BF49E28EFE.jpeg

Tennessee celebrating a win over Arkansas on Tennessee's home field is one thing. Alabama celebrating a win over Tennessee on Tennessee's home field is quite another. It's sorta like an opponent stomping on our logo at the 50 yard line or mid-court. I may be misremembering things because of my orange glasses, but I can't remember a Tennessee away win where our team took over the opponent's field/logo/court to do an in-your-face celebration.

The heated rhetoric from this year is more due to the incident between DVH and CV last season than anything that's happened this year, IMO. The fact that we've been demolishing everyone in our path this year is helping to add fuel to the animosity, but that's the real origin of things.

I have to disagree. Tennessee swept #1 Ole Miss on their field. So Tennessee didn't have the right to celebrate sweeping the #1 team in the country? Really? The team celebrated that victory mightily and they should have. Tenn Tech, and Alabama should have celebrated beating the #1 team as well. If not what do the little ranking numbers beside the names mean, why rank teams if you're not allowed to compare your performance to the other opponent?

Reactions: TennVols12

VN Store

Back