Quote from Arky player about looking forward to playing us.

I don't think as an assistant you really see those parts of a coach though, it's magnified when he's running his own program. Most of us didn't know much at all about his personality prior to him going to Tennessee just that he was a hell of a recruiter. DVH used to be pretty intense and would cuss out umps with the best of them but he's mellowed out over the years. It's probably true that the fur coats and daddy hat wouldn't trigger a lot of fans if it were their own team lol

Sure didn’t seem like he’s mellowed out that much, based on last season.

I don't think as an assistant you really see those parts of a coach though, it's magnified when he's running his own program. Most of us didn't know much at all about his personality prior to him going to Tennessee just that he was a hell of a recruiter. DVH used to be pretty intense and would cuss out umps with the best of them but he's mellowed out over the years. It's probably true that the fur coats and daddy hat wouldn't trigger a lot of fans if it were their own team lol
Wheither you saw it or not, he was the same guy, doing the same things and recruiting the same kids...... and y'all seem to have enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Good luck to your Hogs. I hope you make it to Omaha and then, obviously, I hope we whip the snot out of you there. I could see 3 SEC teams in Omaha this year.

"Vitello didn’t even dare get that close to Van Horn last year during the tiff." WTF is that supposed to mean? Is the writer implying Van Horn would drop Vitello? I think the Arkansas fan base still has nightmares about:

View attachment 448414
Rent free space in their heads since 98

Good luck to your Hogs. I hope you make it to Omaha and then, obviously, I hope we whip the snot out of you there. I could see 3 SEC teams in Omaha this year.
report-calling-police.gif

The hat and coat are no different than the myriad turnover chains/belts that we see in football IMO, so that is completely overblown. CTV is the son of a 30+ year head coach so I have no doubt he respects and treasures the game and wouldn’t embarrass himself, his dad or the game. What he will do, is stand up for his kids when he believes they’re in the right and it’s why he’s as successful as he is, they fight just as hard for him. I shouldn’t be, but I still am, amazed at how practically every post-game interview our guys do, they mention how much they enjoy playing for him, the mindset they’ve adopted from him, how he has their back, etc. His kids love him and I believe many parents do as well, as @preacherman20 can attest to. I’ve gotten to know several player’s parents over the last few years and have a cousin being recruited by the staff now, and it’s the same story every time.

I think what gets alot of us Tennessee fans - if I can momentarliy to speak for them - irritated at the Arkansas fan base is the common presumption that because Vitello was a successful assistant at Arky he should automatically come back there to fill the future DVH vacancy if Arky makes a call, no matter how successful he might be somewhere else. As if a place like Tennessee is just a proving ground for Arkansas's next wannabe HC. As if Arkansas is the ultimate destination job for anyone who aspires to win championships in the SEC. Frankly, why would a successful head baseball coach go to Arkansas if he also had the chance to go to LSU, MSU, A&M, or Florida? All of those places are superior to Arkansas in potential to win natties.

Another thing that gets us irritated is Arky's fanbase reaction to the dust up between the two last season, as if Vitello - even as a head coach now - has no standing to confront DVH if he has a beef, that he should just keep his mouth shut and know his place because DVH (and the Arkansas program implied) is above reproach. Vitello now has his own program and he shouldn't be expected to bow down to any other SEC coach.

I think what gets alot of us Tennessee fans - if I can momentarliy to speak for them - irritated at the Arkansas fan base is the common presumption that because Vitello was a successful assistant at Arky he should automatically come back there to fill the future DVH vacancy if Arky makes a call, no matter how successful he might be somewhere else. As if a place like Tennessee is just a proving ground for Arkansas's next wannabe HC. As if Arkansas is the ultimate destination job for anyone who aspires to win championships in the SEC. Frankly, why would a successful head baseball coach go to Arkansas if he also had the chance to go to LSU, MSU, A&M, or Florida? All of those places are superior to Arkansas in potential to win natties.

Another thing that gets us irritated is Arky's fanbase reaction to the dust up between the two last season, as if Vitello - even as a head coach now - has no standing to confront DVH if he has a beef, that he should just keep his mouth shut and know his place because DVH (and the Arkansas program implied) is above reproach. Vitello now has his own program and he shouldn't be expected to bow down to any other SEC coach.

I remember WE thought we could take the HC At Louisville, UF, VU, and any other hot name, we got Serrano instead which on paper was a great hire. The fan base at every school thinks, “why wouldn’t they come?” The reality is coaches at successful programs don’t generally leave unless the writing is on the wall. It’s the Brinks Truck Argument.

See: Brian Kelly

It happens but it’s unusual to say the least.

For the love of all things orange and white, who cares what the pig fans think? They live in a state where the only landmark worth visiting is the “Welcome to Tennessee” sign on the bridge entering Memphis.

Of course they have nothing better to do than work at Wal-Mart and obsess about what the Vols are doing.

I hope you don’t think this was directed at you, @vol66, because it wasn’t 🙂

Nah, not it all. I hesitated to post the Petrino photo, because the next thing I know another SEC team will post a Tyndall pic of him on his mom’s phone. It’s good advice.

Reactions: @1RBFjr

VN Store

Back