Projecting the 2022 lineup

He had some hiccups out there. It seemed to me like he might lose focus/concentration at times. Like when a line drive that he got to easily bounced out of his glove and over the short RF fence. But he is a multi-tool player that has a rifle for an arm and plus speed and enormous power. He has loads of talent and potential. If CTV and staff can develop him further this offseason, we could see a really terrific player this season in RF.

He only had two errors all year, but as you said, the two were in the tournament and were very bad. Both definitely seemed like he just lost concentration. Beck is a first round talent

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
So, there must be reasons why he is not a catcher or MIF in college? Not a strong enough arm? He runs well in the outfield and has excellent reaction time IMO.

He played in Single-A in high school, so it was/is pretty common for your best player to be a SS. I would guess it has to do with his ability to glove it as a SS, but I do not know that for a fact. It could be the arm, too. Your LF normally has a little weaker arm.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
He only had two errors all year, but as you said, the two were in the tournament and were very bad. Both definitely seemed like he just lost concentration. Beck is a first round talent

I think Beck is good in the field, but the two missed plays I recall were indeed pretty bizarre. The one at the beginning of the Wright State game, where the ball went into his glove, popped back out, and over the wall for a HR, man I've never seen anything like that before. Then the other one where he lost the ball but it was in his glove. Both were crazy and perhaps affected by the regional stage. Good thing Drew Gilbert was around at the end of that game.

Russell isn’t an option at catcher. Vitello joked in an interview how bad he was behind the plate as a freshman and how they didn’t really know where to put him to start out.

Reactions: Halph66
I think Beck is good in the field, but the two missed plays I recall were indeed pretty bizarre. The one at the beginning of the Wright State game, where the ball went into his glove, popped back out, and over the wall for a HR, man I've never seen anything like that before. Then the other one where he lost the ball but it was in his glove. Both were crazy and perhaps affected by the regional stage. Good thing Drew Gilbert was around at the end of that game.

You are correct, Beck has made a lot of nice plays defensively either with his arm or covering a lot of ground in right, the few “mis-plays” really stood out…….Beck is the right fielder as long as he’s at UT. The glove tip home run was a fluke type thing, at least it didn’t hit him in the head and bounce over.

Jose Canseco

Alright…based on this discussion, here’s an update:

Lineup

Kyle Booker-LF

Seth Stephenson/Christian Moore-SS

Logan Chambers-2B

Drew Gilbert-CF

Jordan Beck-RF

Luc Lipcious-1B

Coltyn Kessler/Charlie Taylor-C

Evan Russell-DH

Logan Steenstra/Trey Lipscomb-3B

Weekend Starters

Blade Tidwell-RHP

Chase Burns-RHP

Chase Dollander-RHP

Midweek/Middle Relief:

Camden Sewell-RHP

Ben Joyce-RHP

Kirby Connell-LHP

Mark McLaughlin-RHP

Redmond Walsh-LHP

Closer:

Seth Halvorsen-RHP

Last edited:
You are correct, Beck has made a lot of nice plays defensively either with his arm or covering a lot of ground in right, the few “mis-plays” really stood out…….Beck is the right fielder as long as he’s at UT. The glove tip home run was a fluke type thing, at least it didn’t hit him in the head and bounce over.

Jose Canseco

I had forgotten about that one, too funny!

Reactions: BigDave

Jose Canseco

First thing I thought of when it happened.

Reactions: BigDave

Lineup

Kyle Booker-LF

Logan Chambers-2B

Drew Gilbert-CF

Jordan Beck-RF

Luc Lipcious-1B

Evan Russell-DH

Weekend Starters

Blade Tidwell-RHP

Chase Burns-RHP

Chase Dollander-RHP

Midweek/Middle Relief:

Camden Sewell-RHP

Ben Joyce-RHP

Kirby Connell-LHP

Mark McLaughlin-RHP

Closer:

Seth Halvorsen-RHP

Redmond Walsh most likely will return, so you can add him to the pitching staff. I also wonder how Elijah Pleasants may factor in.

That’s a great potential lineup! 🤯 about our pitching staff and depth.

Anyone know if there is a time frame for when Coltyn Kessler makes a decision? Or at least an announcement.

At the very latest this would need to be before classes start, which is on August 18 for UT in the Fall

Lineup

Kyle Booker-LF

Logan Chambers-2B

Drew Gilbert-CF

Jordan Beck-RF

Luc Lipcious-1B

Evan Russell-DH

Weekend Starters

Blade Tidwell-RHP

Chase Burns-RHP

Chase Dollander-RHP

Midweek/Middle Relief:

Camden Sewell-RHP

Ben Joyce-RHP

Kirby Connell-LHP

Mark McLaughlin-RHP

Closer:

Seth Halvorsen-RHP

I think we also need to add a lefty DH, as there will be an occasional righty that will be too tough for Evan (or most any RH hitter). Not sure who that should be.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

Lineup

Kyle Booker-LF

Logan Chambers-2B

Drew Gilbert-CF

Jordan Beck-RF

Luc Lipcious-1B

Evan Russell-DH

Weekend Starters

Blade Tidwell-RHP

Chase Burns-RHP

Chase Dollander-RHP

Midweek/Middle Relief:

Camden Sewell-RHP

Ben Joyce-RHP

Kirby Connell-LHP

Mark McLaughlin-RHP

Closer:

Seth Halvorsen-RHP
Halvorsen must get his control in a much better place. Throws hard but you can’t be a closer with that many walks. No way. Games are usually too close and you cannot give free bases as a closer. Frank Anderson will really need to work with him.

Beck is an Awesome defender , had 2 balls (lasers) hit right at him and he looked bad on those 2. But outside of those 2 balls , He was solid all year. Arm is as good as you will find , I think possibly the strongest I have seen. RF is the least trouble to worry about.
I bet he's Pre-season All SEC First team.

right at him , meaning over his head at him and he got turned wrong. Not easy w/ lasers!

Reactions: txbo

VN Store

Back