Projecting the 2022 lineup

So am I the only one who thinks if Russell comes back that he plays over Booker again? They kept trying Booker this year but every time Russell outperformed him. Nothing against Booker but Russell just has the ability to turn it up in games. I don't know how this year plays out or if Russell is even considering coming back but he finds a way to get in the lineup. That may be in the infield or catching but if he comes back he will be a contributor.

I believe two key factors are in play with Russell's decision:

1. If Kessler opts to join the baseVOLS
2. And CTV commits to Booker on the infield.

If both of these occur, I see Russell signing as an undrafted free agent. If only one occurs he could pencil in as DH with Booker in the infield or move to catcher if Kessler doesn't sign.

Lastly, I think it will be several weeks before we know the complete roster . . . Who's in, who's out.

GBO

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
So am I the only one who thinks if Russell comes back that he plays over Booker again? They kept trying Booker this year but every time Russell outperformed him. Nothing against Booker but Russell just has the ability to turn it up in games. I don't know how this year plays out or if Russell is even considering coming back but he finds a way to get in the lineup. That may be in the infield or catching but if he comes back he will be a contributor.

What do you think is Russell's best position to play at the next level?

Russell's only chance to play at the next level is Catcher, that's why I say you bring in Kessler and have Evan move to Catcher. With his bat , You give him a shot back their to split the duties with Kessler this fall. I personally feel like you have 2 SEC bats with SEC experience. and Watching Russell the last 4 years with his make up . Grit and Ability and Leadership , I strongly believe Russell would turn himself to a top tier Catcher. And with Kessler their too to share the duties, i Personally feel like you have 2 options there. Split the DH/C roles there and you have a dynamic duo. just my thoughts 25-30 games each with the fall. Scouts could see them both and you have 2 bats in the line up at all times.

Sorry but kessler comes in...he is the starting catcher and as far as russell I could see him in a ga role or some kind of coaching role...

so volZ2wallz, your letting the Biggest leader , 14 HR's , 12 against SEC arms just set or leave? hmm, we aren't watching the same team. There is No way you let 31 RBI's and 22 runs Scored in the conference play just set. Way 2 many just left the team. Way to many unknowns and Experience is a premium. And I haven't said that Kessler wouldn't be the Starting C, but I would give Russell every shot at being in the lineup, everyday. Can do to much damage. He impacted, 6-7 SEC games alone this year, That's a lot. and Kessler/Russell at C and DH...I just personally feel like you plug a hole there with 2 options. At least give it a shot.. Might just work.

Reactions: txbo
I could see Kessler even in the 3 hole and Russell back in the 5 hole again w/ Luc in the 6 hole. hmm . I will take it.

We must not be reading the same post...did I day let him leave?...no till he announces hes coming back this is sorta wasted conversation...and kessler announces hes coming to ut...I was just saying no way Kessler isn't ur starter at catcher...he isnt coming here...lsu or wherever to split time...

obviously , if Kessler comes to UT , he will be the starter. But what happens if he gets hit in the hand like Pav did? That's why i say you have 2 players with experience... Jackson Greer played a big role in UT's success, what if we don't have him to help out? I just think the duo of Kessler/Russell give UT some depth at C. And give you two huge Bats in the middle of the order. Gives you depth at OF as well w/ Booker , Gilbert and Beck... 3 - 4 options at the corners , 3-4 options in the middle and we're set. to make a huge run... just my thoughts..... plug Luc back in at 1b...you have 6 outta 9 bats that are ready IMO....with lots of options !!! this team could be really really good....

Anyone know if there is a time frame for when Coltyn Kessler makes a decision? Or at least an announcement.

No time frame just yet. According to Wes Rucker, Kessler might turn pro rather than choosing Tennessee or Arkansas. He also said that Tennessee is still looking to add a veteran transfer catcher. We’ll see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigDave
If Luc and Russell are back they will be in the lineup in some form or fashion. Luc would clearly be at 1st which I think would be huge as it’s one of the biggest holes on the roster. They need a catcher too.

My guess would be:

Pitching

Friday - Blade
Saturday - Dollander
Sunday - Burns

That is elite right there, 3 potential first rounders

Bullpen -
Camden sewell
Halvorsen
Ben Joyce
Redmond Walsh
Kirby Connell
Mark McLaughlin
+ some incoming freshman to round it out

Lineup:

C - they need Kessler so hopefully him
1B - hopefully Luc
2B - ???
SS - ???
3B - Trey Lipscomb
RF - Jordan Beck
CF - drew gilbert
LF - Kyle Booker/Evan Russell
DH - ???

I think the middle infield slots get filed by some combo of Moore/Stephenson/Chambers

If Luc isn’t back then Chambers or Steenstra is at first most likely or maybe you try to fit Russell there.

DH is probably going to be Russell if he isn’t in the field. If he’s in LF DH is going to be a very hard decision between the odd man out of the Moore/Chambers/Stephenson trio along with Steenstra and Booker.

Options galore for Tony V

Don't forget:
  • Logan Chambers (INF) - Big bat
  • Seth Stephenson (INF-SS) - Good stick (lead off hitter)

Reactions: TN_gal and BigDave
TBH...i don't know much about the new players coming in. But here's my opening day line up , it will be based on some assumptions.

1.) Stephenson / Lawson 2b
2.) Moore- SS
3.) Kessler - C/DH
4.) Gilbert - CF
5) Russell - C/DH
6) Luc / Chambers- 1B
7) Beck - RF
8) Booker LF
9) Lipscomb/Streenstra - 3b

Scott , Ortega and Charlie Taylor also will factor .

I think in real talk , this will be 15 of the guys that will be in the hunt for a starting nod. Sure there will be some surprises and additions.

lots of depth and a good mixture of age and experience. 7out of 9 spots - in this line up , I feel very good about already. obviously we lost a ton at the top of our order. My 1,2 and 9 holes are my concerns but I haven't see Stephenson , Moore , and chambers in action, so i can't say...But from based on what i am reading , this team looks good.

as for me - it comes down to pitching - and i think the Vols are loaded for bear!!!!

Go Vols!!! I am out of here, got to pay some bills lol ......completely speculation anyways!!!

Reactions: BigDave and TN_gal
Don't forget:
  • Logan Chambers (INF) - Big bat
  • Seth Stephenson (INF-SS) - Good stick (lead off hitter)
Yeah I had those two and Moore down for getting the 2B and SS spots, just not sure which one of those 3 will be the odd man out. If Luc doesn’t return, you can probably put chambers at first and get all 3 guys in, but Steenstra or Russell (if he’s back) could end up at first too. Lots of options, there will be some very good players who aren’t out there every day.

Sorry but kessler comes in...he is the starting catcher and as far as russell I could see him in a ga role or some kind of coaching role...

If you have two catchers that you trust, you could play the second one on Saturdays or Sundays and keep the #1 catcher from working two or three days in a row. I like the idea of keeping them both fresh and building depth. It was obvious Pav's throwing hand was bothering him at the end of the season. Depth matters.

so volZ2wallz, your letting the Biggest leader , 14 HR's , 12 against SEC arms just set or leave? hmm, we aren't watching the same team. There is No way you let 31 RBI's and 22 runs Scored in the conference play just set. Way 2 many just left the team. Way to many unknowns and Experience is a premium. And I haven't said that Kessler wouldn't be the Starting C, but I would give Russell every shot at being in the lineup, everyday. Can do to much damage. He impacted, 6-7 SEC games alone this year, That's a lot. and Kessler/Russell at C and DH...I just personally feel like you plug a hole there with 2 options. At least give it a shot.. Might just work.
You don’t just become a catcher as a fifth year senior and you definitely don’t sideline a top SEC catcher to let a guy work into that spot for the first time in years. That’s asinine. Russell is a DH or gone. He knows he doesn’t have huge MLB aspirations which is why he mentioned this year that he’d like to coach someday. Booker has the speed to man the outfield. Poster on VQ is saying that Luc is coming back so he’s your 1B. Lipscomb slots in at 3B. Stephenson or Moore at SS. Chambers or Moore/Stephenson at 2B and whoever is left out is either DH or filling in part time duties if Russell returns.

I remember Russell hitting a bomb off of Ryan Weathers in the state tournament one year to allow Scott’s Hill to upset Loretto, eventually winning the state title. He was their SS that year.

Beck has too good of an arm to not have out there in the field. He did have a couple of bad errors in the tourney but I think people got the impression he isn’t good defensively because those were highly visible errors/games and they were recent. He’s a lock for an outfield spot, as is Gilbert.

If Russell and Luc come back that’s where it gets interesting. That would mean you have Luc, Lipscomb (most likely) gilbert, and Beck locked in, which leaves chambers/Moore/Stephenson/Steenstra/Lawson/Ortega/ for to battle it out for 2nd and SS with Russell and Booker fighting for that last outfield spot. One of the odd men out there will man the DH position. The team is absolutely loaded

Reactions: Volprofch05
Anyone thought about Beck at DH? He seemed pretty bad in right field last year at times.

He had some hiccups out there. It seemed to me like he might lose focus/concentration at times. Like when a line drive that he got to easily bounced out of his glove and over the short RF fence. But he is a multi-tool player that has a rifle for an arm and plus speed and enormous power. He has loads of talent and potential. If CTV and staff can develop him further this offseason, we could see a really terrific player this season in RF.

Reactions: cwbytruckers
I coached against Russell multiple times in high school, and he was a C/MIF when we played them.

So, there must be reasons why he is not a catcher or MIF in college? Not a strong enough arm? He runs well in the outfield and has excellent reaction time IMO.

VN Store

Back