Projecting the 2022 lineup

I can't find stats as to the % of solo homers we hit last year vs SEC norm, but I'm guessing it's high. I'd like to know the same thing vs OBP. There is a price to pay for power hitting up and down the lineup like we had last year - the strike out. You're less likely to score enough runs when you run up against elite pitching if you strike out that often. So you have to have guys getting on base and knocking them in with singles or bunts or walks or whatever, when the situation demands. Liam did a great job, Max was OK buy obviously didn't see himself as a get on base guy, after that, you had only Rucker getting on base at a good percentage, but he was also a high strike out guy. If Luc snd Evan come back, combined with Gilbert and Beck, that's 4 power hitters in a nine man lineup. If the 5 other guys are on base and high batting average type guys, I like it.

I Personally think Booker will add a lot of pop too, Concerned with his SO ratio but I like him in the 7-9 hole. Need someone , preferably a lefty that can handle the bat in the order too...

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I can't find stats as to the % of solo homers we hit last year vs SEC norm, but I'm guessing it's high. I'd like to know the same thing vs OBP. There is a price to pay for power hitting up and down the lineup like we had last year - the strike out. You're less likely to score enough runs when you run up against elite pitching if you strike out that often. So you have to have guys getting on base and knocking them in with singles or bunts or walks or whatever, when the situation demands. Liam did a great job, Max was OK buy obviously didn't see himself as a get on base guy, after that, you had only Rucker getting on base at a good percentage, but he was also a high strike out guy. If Luc snd Evan come back, combined with Gilbert and Beck, that's 4 power hitters in a nine man lineup. If the 5 other guys are on base and high batting average type guys, I like it.
I’d like to see those numbers as well. I know there were remarks made about the team performing poorly with Runners In Scoring Position. While Derkay played well in post season, I’d expect we can upgrade there in power and contact.

Alright. Draft is over. We have a pretty good idea of who’s coming and who’s not now. I’m counting Spikes, Dooney, and Leath as gone, as well as the obvious ones. I’m going to also count Kessler as coming. Here’s my projection:

Lineup

Kyle Booker-LF

Seth Stephenson-2B

Logan Chambers-1B

Drew Gilbert-CF

Jordan Beck-RF

Coltyn Kessler-C

Christian Moore-SS

Logan Steenstra-3B

Trey Lipscomb-DH

Weekend Starters

Blade Tidwell-RHP

Chase Burns-RHP

Chase Dollander-RHP

Midweek/Middle Relief:

Camden Sewell-RHP

Ben Joyce-RHP

Kirby Connell-LHP

Mark McLaughlin-RHP

Closer:

Seth Halvorsen-RHP

The infield and DH guys are pretty interchangeable. Steenstra could also play 1B. Stephenson could also play SS. Moore or Steenstra could play SS or 3B. Lipscomb could play any infield position. Chambers could play 2B or SS. And any of those guys left out of the infield would DH.

Personally, I'd like to see where Jorel Ortega fits into the INF or where they expect to play him some next year. I think he's sufficiently healed from his previous injury and should be good to go this year.

Our weekend starters would be 2 sophomore's and a freshman! That would set this team up extremely well going forward to develop and strengthen incoming pitcher's. The development would be nothing short of phenomenal.
Go Vols!!

Tidwell is eligible to be drafted after his sophomore season. And he will be. Wouldn't count on him being back in 2023.

The outfield play will be more than fine. Booker , Gilbert , Beck and Scott

Pitching will be the strength.

Middle infield and Catching and having POP in the line up is my biggest concern. Can we hit Quality pitching? That's a whole different level. Look at this years stats. You got to have Luc and Evan back in the line up some how. Leadership is a must. To many unknowns if not. Just my opinion. which ain't worth a lot but this team lost a lot of experience. I do know that.

I personally patrol Evan at 2B , Catching and DH. and Luc would patrol 1B and DH role as well. I wouldn't hit him against lefty's. But as already stated , way to much SEC Production in the past to not have in the line up.
Why would Evan, a career outfielder, play 2nd when you have Stephenson, Chambers, Moore, Lawson, Lipscomb, Steenstra, Ortega and possibly Spikes to man the 4-6 positions?

Reactions: volz2wallz
Why would Evan, a career outfielder, play 2nd when you have Stephenson, Chambers, Moore, Lawson, Lipscomb, Steenstra, Ortega and possibly Spikes to man the 4-6 positions?

Interesting that you mention Lawson. Are we high on him?

As for Russell, I think we was an infielder early in his career, but I’m going by memory and it fails me sometimes.

Reactions: BigDave
Alright. Draft is over. We have a pretty good idea of who’s coming and who’s not now. I’m counting Spikes, Dooney, and Leath as gone, as well as the obvious ones. I’m going to also count Kessler as coming. Here’s my projection:

Lineup

Kyle Booker-LF

Seth Stephenson-2B

Logan Chambers-1B

Drew Gilbert-CF

Jordan Beck-RF

Coltyn Kessler-C

Christian Moore-SS

Logan Steenstra-3B

Trey Lipscomb-DH

Weekend Starters

Blade Tidwell-RHP

Chase Burns-RHP

Chase Dollander-RHP

Midweek/Middle Relief:

Camden Sewell-RHP

Ben Joyce-RHP

Kirby Connell-LHP

Mark McLaughlin-RHP

Closer:

Seth Halvorsen-RHP

The infield and DH guys are pretty interchangeable. Steenstra could also play 1B. Stephenson could also play SS. Moore or Steenstra could play SS or 3B. Lipscomb could play any infield position. Chambers could play 2B or SS. And any of those guys left out of the infield would DH.
Thanks for the info. I’m new to being a basevol fan... but Tony gave us something to cheer about, he committed long term and big time kids are choosing our school... it’s my duty as a Vol.

So am I the only one who thinks if Russell comes back that he plays over Booker again? They kept trying Booker this year but every time Russell outperformed him. Nothing against Booker but Russell just has the ability to turn it up in games. I don't know how this year plays out or if Russell is even considering coming back but he finds a way to get in the lineup. That may be in the infield or catching but if he comes back he will be a contributor.

So am I the only one who thinks if Russell comes back that he plays over Booker again? They kept trying Booker this year but every time Russell outperformed him. Nothing against Booker but Russell just has the ability to turn it up in games. I don't know how this year plays out or if Russell is even considering coming back but he finds a way to get in the lineup. That may be in the infield or catching but if he comes back he will be a contributor.

I think you're right and he was obviously starting for a reason. Booker, though was a Freshman and while last year he wasn't as polished as Evan, his ceiling is much higher. Booker will continue to get better and develop so I don't think it's a matter of if, but when he will take over that position. I could easily see them platoon and have Russell in the lineup against LHP and Booker against RHP.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I think you're right and he was obviously starting for a reason. Booker, though was a Freshman and while last year he wasn't as polished as Evan, his ceiling is much higher. Booker will continue to get better and develop so I don't think it's a matter of if, but when he will take over that position. I could easily see them platoon and have Russell in the lineup against LHP and Booker against RHP.

Just wanted to add that I think Booker will prove to be a better avg. hitter than Evan and it's hard to keep those guys out of the lineup.

I personally think Booker , Gilbert and Beck are your starters in the outfield but i also say this too. I agree with Txbo, there is no way either of those 2 aren't in the order some how. You make room for a guy's that impacted the Games like they did. Just from watching the SEC network last night - The First game against Florida - Russell was 3-4 with a 2b and a HR, LSU - 3 homer gamer , Vandy - 3 homer game , Texas A&M - 2 home game and the first one put us ahead, Not to mention Several Defensive plays that made huge differences in games that aren't in any books and the same goes foe Luc. My point has been , those 2 just bring to much offensive production. Just my thoughts. I agree totally w/' Preacher, Russell will find a way to be on the field.

Interesting that you mention Lawson. Are we high on him?

As for Russell, I think we was an infielder early in his career, but I’m going by memory and it fails me sometimes.
I think he has the potential to be good. Top 300 player nationally coming out of HS. Obviously he had limited AB’s this year but hit .357 in those opportunities with a HR and a double. Has good size at 200lbs so could provide some power. 35% of his AB’s ended in strikeouts so needs to be more productive with his outs but that’s also to be expected coming off the bench to hit 1x every 5 games.

If Luc and Russell are back they will be in the lineup in some form or fashion. Luc would clearly be at 1st which I think would be huge as it’s one of the biggest holes on the roster. They need a catcher too.

My guess would be:

Pitching

Friday - Blade
Saturday - Dollander
Sunday - Burns

That is elite right there, 3 potential first rounders

Bullpen -
Camden sewell
Halvorsen
Ben Joyce
Redmond Walsh
Kirby Connell
Mark McLaughlin
+ some incoming freshman to round it out

Lineup:

C - they need Kessler so hopefully him
1B - hopefully Luc
2B - ???
SS - ???
3B - Trey Lipscomb
RF - Jordan Beck
CF - drew gilbert
LF - Kyle Booker/Evan Russell
DH - ???

I think the middle infield slots get filed by some combo of Moore/Stephenson/Chambers

If Luc isn’t back then Chambers or Steenstra is at first most likely or maybe you try to fit Russell there.

DH is probably going to be Russell if he isn’t in the field. If he’s in LF DH is going to be a very hard decision between the odd man out of the Moore/Chambers/Stephenson trio along with Steenstra and Booker.

Options galore for Tony V

Oh and if they somehow get Ryan Spikes to campus, he’s day 1 SS and they will be in Omaha again. It’s a long shot imo but does sound like he’s at least giving consideration to it

Cortland Lawson is another kid too that may factor in.
Agree - they are absolutely loaded honestly. Outfield is going to be elite, pitching will be elite. Hopefully they get Kessler which is a big hole. The corner infielders are going to be very high level.

Only unproven part of the roster is the middle infielders but given the options and talent they have there my guess is they end up being pretty damn good there too, just unproven at the moment

basically , If Evan and Luc come back , with their Ability , Production , Leadership and Experience. With the Pitching staff , I think this is another Omaha Team. The right PCS plugged in , they may be a favorite to win it. Who knows but this team could be special.
just lots of unknowns. The Lights get bright at times and that's where you need some Experienced guys!!! Go Vols

Reactions: BigDave

VN Store

Back