Prison reform needed?

I see it this way also. Make drugs legal and the financial gain of selling them goes away. It would also take away the excitement of doing something that's not supposed to be done. Still couldn't be operating cars, at work under the influence, or purchase under the age of 18.

We can argue the morality issue about the people addicted to them, but there are legal forms of addictive items now.

The health care system would hate this I imagine.

But healthcare would be free, so those newly addicted kids and young people would have endless support to break that habit. We know the gov would never deny care.

But healthcare would be free, so those newly addicted kids and young people would have endless support to break that habit. We know the gov would never deny care.

Yeah, life will be better when the government takes care of everything for us.

They do a wonderful job operating the post office in the black.

What didn't happen after Prohibition? The crime syndicates certainly found other avenues to make money. They didn't just fold up when booze was legal again.

I think it's an interesting question. There's a lot of black money that circulates in these markets and doesn't really see the light of day in our economy. People earn wages(ideally) and they take that money and buy drugs. The largest part of the money is exported out of the country. But the money that is paid to dealers and stays with local gangs would evaporate. I imagine in some outfits it's washed through cash heavy businesses that may no longer be viable.
They found other avenues thru things that were illegal. Their rise happened because of prohibition which is the exact same thing we've seen with the cartels. History repeats itself

No it wouldn’t. Criminal gangs would simply go lower in their prices and make even deadlier drugs to compensate. And the amount of drug adjacent crimes like DUI, thefts, PI etc would skyrocket

I don’t see why they’d go very far below the legal prices, since that’s just a loss for them. The “deadlier drugs” would soon be regulated and legal in that scenario

I have no problem with drug laws or the war on drugs. There is a direct correlation between drugs and crime and if a dope head gets caught up in the mix then so be it.

There’s probably a direct correlation between anger issues and crime too, or other mental health issues and crime. We throwing all those people in jail just to be safe too?

Yeah, life will be better when the government takes care of everything for us.

They do a wonderful job operating the post office in the black.
I would have no objection, legalizing all drugs, taxing it heavily and directing that money directly to healthcare. We should have ear marked taxes. Smoking, Alcohol and drugs could go directly to health care.

We do need reforms in the prison and justice system. Too many murderers, child molesters, rapists, child abusers still breathing and getting three meals a day from all of us tax payers.

Reactions: 1972 Grad
I would be interested to see the economic effect of legalization on the communities that traffic drugs. I think in Freakanomics they determined the average weed/crack dealer was making roughly minimum wage after they netted out inventory costs and the amount of revenue kicked up the chain. That's a pretty awful wage considering the high risks involved. Will those people turn to honest work or will they simply get into another avenue of illicit activity? Would adding those people to the workforce depress wages? My guess is you will see more gangs move into human/sex trafficking as a way to maintain revenue. Especially Hispanic gangs who already have drug and human links across the border.
Not to mention the liability of someone overdosing and dying off of one use of your "legal" product. Are drug addicts going to sign company waivers? Lol the lawsuits will be endless

Whitey just bought people from the middle man that bought people from a group that sold their own people.
Doesn’t change what we've dealt with and dealing with now. Just cause someone is selling doesn’t obligate me to buy.

Probably not. You went the slavery route and since you were massively incorrect you changed channels then I did.
Incorrect? Nope. You merely tried to diminish the guilt by adding other guilty parties. Doesn’t change a friggin thing. Are you seriously saying the US wasn’t guilty in participating in the slave trade? Are you seriously trying to say that we aren’t still dealing with the implications of it?

I would be interested to see the economic effect of legalization on the communities that traffic drugs. I think in Freakanomics they determined the average weed/crack dealer was making roughly minimum wage after they netted out inventory costs and the amount of revenue kicked up the chain. That's a pretty awful wage considering the high risks involved. Will those people turn to honest work or will they simply get into another avenue of illicit activity? Would adding those people to the workforce depress wages? My guess is you will see more gangs move into human/sex trafficking as a way to maintain revenue. Especially Hispanic gangs who already have drug and human links across the border.

A vast majority of those in the game at the lower level (and upper level probably), don't really have prospects of getting into an honest line of work. Maybe neighborhood pressure put them in that line of work, and they never finished prepping for anything else.

VN Store

Back