Prison reform needed?

Oh no you don't. Don't you start agreeing, damnit. You've got a reputation to live down to.
LOL

You and I agree more times than not. On drug use, I don't see much difference between drugs, alcohol, gambling, and other activities which can ruin a person, family, or community. And, I might feel differently about legalized drug use if the approach we use now was effective.

LOL

You and I agree more times than not. On drug use, I don't see much difference between drugs, alcohol, gambling, and other activities which can ruin a person, family, or community. And, I might feel differently about legalized drug use if the approach we use now was effective.
Nothing but difficult choices.

My nature is not to give in just because it's easier that way but I'm also cheap, don't like throwing good money after bad. Don't like throwing good money at all and all my money is good money, what little I've managed to make.

After all, I can't afford a 20' bass boat with a racing motor.

Life's not fair.

My nature is not to give in just because it's easier that way but I'm also cheap, don't like throwing good money after bad. Don't like throwing good money at all and all my money is good money, what little I've managed to make.

Life's not fair.
What about prostitution? Not as a money maker for you. But would you favor a decriminalization of it?

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

Life's not fair.
A 20’ bass boat with a racing motor is the definition of bad money ... but it’s also fun money 😎

Btw I bought mine used. I let some other homer bite the big bad money bullet

Agreed. I think if we are really going to be freedom and personal liberty, you have to allow people to exercise "my body, my choice" in all endeavors; not just abortion.

Of course, this may create more opportunity for sex trafficking, sex slavery, and underage people selling themselves.

Agreed. I think if we are really going to be freedom and personal liberty, you have to allow people to exercise "my body, my choice" in all endeavors; not just abortion.

Of course, this may create more opportunity for sex trafficking, sex slavery, and underage people selling themselves.
I would think, if anything, those things may decrease if prostitution were legal. If it's legitimately industrialized, wouldn't the black market hurt? I wouldn't expect such a thing to fix all the problems, but I wouldn't expect any of those things to be exacerbated.

I would think, if anything, those things may decrease if prostitution were legal. If it's legitimately industrialized, wouldn't the black market hurt? I wouldn't expect such a thing to fix all the problems, but I wouldn't expect any of those things to be exacerbated.
It's a good question. Your scenario is just as likely as the opposite.

Like the post right below yours I think it would result in less sex trafficking on the adult level. Any under age trafficking or prostitution needs a scorched earth response though.

I mean, ok, but it’s not a metric that suffers from an apples to apples to apples comparison. Canada, Western Europe, and Nordic countries (if you don’t consider them Western Europe) all still have far lower (usually around 1/5 or below) rates of incarceration.
What’s their diversity, population and gang violence look like?

I don't see the flip side. You may have to explain that to me.
there is a segment of our population who are vulnerable. lured in by drug usage and then trapped by an addiction. this could be even more pronounced with minors compared to adults. I think there will be unscrupulous people to take advantage of them and work the illegal side of prostitution.
I have no evidence. I would have to take a look at countries where it is legal and see if they have a problem with underage, trafficking, etc.

When we closed the mental health institutes we had to do something with people that couldn’t cope with society. Luckily many of them assisted in the solution.... by not coping with society very well.

People railed at mental institutions and there’s a reason for concern. Violating a persons liberties is a big deal. But just putting them out in public and drugging them hoping that would fix it then just locking them up when it didnt? 🤷‍♂️
This x1000

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I’m interested to see how it plays out in Oregon, but I’m open to the idea.

Eliminating the black market for drugs through decriminalization would eliminate a lot of funding for other criminal enterprises and would remove a considerable amount of drug-adjacent crime.
No it wouldn’t. Criminal gangs would simply go lower in their prices and make even deadlier drugs to compensate. And the amount of drug adjacent crimes like DUI, thefts, PI etc would skyrocket

My guess is there wouldn’t be a noticeable rise in addictions if drugs were legal. Users are going to use regardless.
There would be more users, and a pronounced increase in tying up first responders and hospitals along with OD deaths

There would be more users, and a pronounced increase in tying up first responders and hospitals along with OD deaths
I recommend pre-response triage.

Oh, he's another OD? He's #23 behind the guy with an arterial. It would be just like a California ER.

If the state had the time to really put the screws to serious criminals, maybe there would be less of them.
The serious criminals almost all started as drug addicts, thieves or the other people you defend who continuously commit crimes

What’s their diversity, population and gang violence look like?
What‘a the relevance of diversity? What does that even mean?

The populations are smaller, but our per capita incarceration rates are still 400% those of most countries that could be considered peers.

Reactions: NashVol11
What‘a the relevance of diversity? What does that even mean?

The populations are smaller, but our per capita incarceration rates are still 400% those of most countries that could be considered peers.
You know what he means.

VN Store

Back