Powell and barnes

Victor Bailey averaged 13 points a game at Oregon.
Powell scored 10 ppg at auburn. Jordan Bowden never developed into the scorer he should have with his skill level and shooting ability. It kind of seems like Rick Barnes strangles the offense out of his perimeter scorers. I can’t count how many times he has taken a guy out of the game right after he makes a 3, preventing him from getting in rythm as a scorer. I like Barnes, but I’d trade him for Pearl in a heartbeat.

Makes total sense to bring somebody off the bench that hardly contributed.

He’s scared to take shots and his defense has been pretty poor so far.
There’s a reason he’s scared to shoot that’s the point. Why isn’t JJJ scared to shoot despite going 1-7 every game? Because he knows it’s not going to affect his playing time.

Reactions: Hbg
He’s a good spot up shooter but he’s not great at creating his own shot. Since we aren’t very good at moving the ball it makes sense that Powell isn’t having much impact. He should though. We just play offense like a bunch of individuals rather than a cohesive unit.

You're right. Can't really create his own, but should be our spot up arc guy. All we have in the create own shot dept is Chandler or maybe ZZ. Fulky and ON are post players w some skill. Would like to see CRB give him the green light and keep Bailey tucked away nicely on the bench.

Reactions: hUTch2002
You're right. Can't really create his own, but should be our spot up arc guy. All we have in the create own shot dept is Chandler or maybe ZZ. Fulky and ON are post players w some skill. Would like to see CRB give him the green light and keep Bailey tucked away nicely on the bench.
We’re sure seeing this situation very differently. I think Powell has the green light and CRB is begging him to take good looks from the perimeter. Problem is he’s struggling to get himself into good looks from the perimeter. Somehow a smaller Vescovi manages to find around 5-6 open perimeter shots per game but Powell can’t in the same offense? I don’t know enough about basketball to understand why.

I agree on who can create their own shot. That’s why, to me, our best offense would be those guys penetrating and either they can make it all the way for a layup or they find an open player and that either directly leads to an open shot or at least gets the ball moving so maybe with a reversal off the penetration we get an open shot. That’s where Powell and Vescovi should be coming in.

Add Alex English to that. I was thinking the same thing last night.

I’d pass on Alex. He was fired from his last coaching position nearly a decade ago.

I’d probably take a pass on Bob Lanier as well. His career record is 12-25 and that was 27 years ago.

Bruce let’s players play. Barnes puts the fear of God in them and if they make a mistake on defense or miss a shot, unless their name is Josiah, he pulls them to the bench. Barnes completely ruins player confidence

This, Bruce encourages players to shoot the ball not pass it around for the whole shot clock and get a sucky shot.

Reactions: vettefool
This, Bruce encourages players to shoot the ball not pass it around for the whole shot clock and get a sucky shot.

Not exactly. Barnes doesn’t want shooters (Powell) to pass up good looks. At least that’s the line he’s given in at least one post game interview.

Barnes has repeatedly said he pulls guys out for passing up good shots. That might be why JJJ stays in. He never takes a bad shot. Just can’t make one. I’ve been going to games since Devoe and I really like Barnes mainly due to his character. This goes into his recruiting. He recruits character first which makes his team a bunch of good kids who are easy to root for. I’ve pulled for every coach we ever had. I loved Pearl, but you knew he was a con man and cheating. My favorite team of his was his first, with Lofton, Dane Bradshaw, Juan Smith, ect. He didn’t recruit any of them. Buzz did, much like Barnes, character kids. Once Bruce got his guys in there we always worried who was gonna flunk out or get arrested week to week. The point is they don’t recruit the same kind of players. Barnes’ guys are unselfish to a fault sometimes. We do miss having a guy who’s a ”dog”. Willing to mix it up with guys like Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss have. Schofield was that guy. Grant a little bit too. I saw a little of it in Plavsic at LSU. Everybody else is too passive. I think we’ll figure it out, though. For the first time I can remember we have a point guard (2 actually), who can create something with the shot clock going down. Give them time.

Reactions: sechamp2012
Victor Bailey averaged 13 points a game at Oregon.
Powell scored 10 ppg at auburn. Jordan Bowden never developed into the scorer he should have with his skill level and shooting ability. It kind of seems like Rick Barnes strangles the offense out of his perimeter scorers. I can’t count how many times he has taken a guy out of the game right after he makes a 3, preventing him from getting in rythm as a scorer. I like Barnes, but I’d trade him for Pearl in a heartbeat.

Bailey never averaged 13 points at Oregon. His best year was a little over 7, and he averaged 11 here last year.

Barnes set up plays for Bowden when they had the mid range curls going. Bowden became inconsistent with his 3 point shot. Bowden was also not highly recruited.

Go watch some of our old highlights. We passed it around until the shot clock was going down.

You must have not watched much basketball cause there was plenty of times his offense consisted of jacking up threes while the shot clock was winding down.

You’re acting like Bruce is some kind of genius when it’s the same concept that Barnes is using this season.

CRB has been so open and honest about the shooting issue. He requires two things generally: 1. Shoot the ball when you are open. 2. Play really hard defense and rebound. We are trying to make this into something it’s not. For me it’s just that simple. Clearly several guys have trouble pulling the proverbial tigger. It’s not uncommon in golf…but basketball…got to let it fly when you’re open.

You must have not watched much basketball cause there was plenty of times his offense consisted of jacking up threes while the shot clock was winding down.

You’re acting like Bruce is some kind of genius when it’s the same concept that Barnes is using this season.
Very true. Never liked Pearl’s half court flex offense. He was a master on out of bounds plays, both offensively and defensively.

Very true. Never liked Pearl’s half court flex offense. He was a master on out of bounds plays, both offensively and defensively.
One thing I remember with Pearl was that it didn’t matter if we were up 20 or down 20 in the first half. At some point in the second half, it would be tied. Leads come and go quick with the quick 3 offense and gambling defense.

Bailey never averaged 13 points at Oregon. His best year was a little over 7, and he averaged 11 here last year.

Barnes set up plays for Bowden when they had the mid range curls going. Bowden became inconsistent with his 3 point shot. Bowden was also not highly recruited.
You are right on Bailey idk why I was thinking it was 13ppg.

to my openion only look like CRB is falling into his texas days at the end.

I haven’t the faintest clue how dude can avg 10 at auburn, transfer to tn and barely see the floor, any answers? Same player, diff coaches?

Well the 10 at Auburn were played against their soft schedule...

Bulk of his points came in 4 games. He also had 20 more attempts in those 10 games at Auburn versus the 14 he's played here. He's playing less minutes, but really he's just not shooting as much for whatever reason here. That's not something Barnes can really fix, he plays 'em and gives his players the greenlight to take shots...

Reactions: walkenvol
Forbes was 6 & 16 at Wake last year 11th in 12 team ACC. He did great at ETSU with juco & a few transfers but not a instant formula in P5.

So because of his COVID season at Wake Forest in his first P5 job he's not good?

You didn't even mention the 13-3 record he has this year at Wake.

So because of his COVID season at Wake Forest in his first P5 job he's not good?

You didn't even mention the 13-3 record he has this year at Wake.

He’s not a good HC and certainly isn’t the answer here.

VN Store

Back