Powell and barnes

He’s a good spot up shooter but he’s not great at creating his own shot. Since we aren’t very good at moving the ball it makes sense that Powell isn’t having much impact. He should though. We just play offense like a bunch of individuals rather than a cohesive unit.
your opinion of us playing like a bunch of individuals is not shared by hardly anyone. We actually get bunch of kudos because of our high assist to shot percentage that’s way above average. Not sure how you came to this conclusion .

your opinion of us playing like a bunch of individuals is not shared by hardly anyone. We actually get bunch of kudos because of our high assist to shot percentage that’s way above average. Not sure how you came to this conclusion .
Uh, might want to check the date there buckaroo. In January we were not playing the way we are now. Good try though…not really.

Reactions: volman128
This, Bruce encourages players to shoot the ball not pass it around for the whole shot clock and get a sucky shot.

It appears Barnes does not want players to take an open shot early in the shot clock. I have seen this time after time. A player has a wide open shot but it is early in ths shot clock so they pass and many times have to settle for a bad shot as the time clock is expiring. I think if you are a shooter and you have an open shot you should take it regardless of the time on the clock. This is much much better than taking a bad shot as time is running out or having a turnover.

I wouldn't read anything in particular into Powell's situation. Why would he expect to play over James or Vescovi, or even Mashack or Bailey? Until and unless he starts reading the gospel of defense as written by Barnes, he isn't going to play. He may buy in or he may not. But I think he will and he won't go anywhere.

It appears Barns does not want players to take an open shot early in the shot clock. I have seen this time after time. A player has a wide open shot but it is early in ths shot clock so they pass and many times have to settle for a bad shot as the time clock is expiring. I think if you are a shooter and you have an open shot you should take it regardless of the time on the clock. This is much much better than taking a bad shot as time is running out or having a turnover.

I see sometimes see Chandler taking a three early in the shot clock. Sometimes James does also, but usually he and Vescovi hunt for the inside high percentage shot trying to get it to the bigs. I think that's what they're asked to do. I think you're right, Barnes wants to get the ball inside first, then take a three only if it's open later in the clock.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Hey, I want to see all in Orange play well but his body language is terrible. If he thought he deserved a starting position at the beginning that’s his mistake. He’s never been the player Vescovi is and the primary reason is he doesn’t play hard enough.
Yet go back and look at the preseason thread predicting the starting lineup and over half this board we’re picking Powell to start over Vescovi

He’s lost his confidence and he’s simply not better than those who are playing. At least Bailey tries to play D.
Bailey has fully bought into the role of energy guy. It’s pretty amazing to see. He never looks for his own shot anymore and he’s ALWAYS the first to the floor when there’s a loose ball.

Barnes would rather prove a point than win a game.

Looks like CRB is proving his point (which will make Powell a better player if he will commit and buy-in to what the coaches want him to do on and off the court...all he has to do is look at the transformation of past players) AND winning games

Last edited:
At Auburn, those early games he played were mostly the OOC sisters of the poor. He was known for not taking open shots in AAU until he was finally convinced. I think he will be a long-time player here and be a lot like Vescovi by his Senior year a real long-shot threat. He is just not ready for Bigtime minutes at the Top 10 Basketball yet.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I think he'll come around. He's faced a TON of adversity for an essentially still-freshman player. I think the culture at UT can win him over and what's between his ears will straighten out.

If I'm wrong and he leaves, so be it. But if he stays, I tend to lean towards it working out and him playing some good ball while at UT.

Z is going to be a very good player. I actually think he has more potential than Chandler does, although Chandler is very good.
ZZ brings a lot of excitement to the game, but he often plays out of control and turns the ball over. Chandler had the same problem but have really improved hid game during the last three weeks. ZZ needs to do the same thing to be the real asset he can be . I love him and think he will benefit the off season. Look out for him next Fall.

I think he'll come around. He's faced a TON of adversity for an essentially still-freshman player. I think the culture at UT can win him over and what's between his ears will straighten out.

If I'm wrong and he leaves, so be it. But if he stays, I tend to lean towards it working out and him playing some good ball while at UT.
I liked him on the Andy Griffith show. He learned a lot of good lessons about bullies and telling the truth. Maybe he can learn basketball too.

He’s lost his confidence and he’s simply not better than those who are playing. At least Bailey tries to play D.

This is the correct answer. He’s not good enough. At least not right now. Now we’ll see if he works his a$$ off to get better this off-season like Vescovi did or if he settles.

I haven’t the faintest clue how dude can avg 10 at auburn, transfer to tn and barely see the floor, any answers? Same player, diff coaches?

Powell played early LY before teams really got a good scouting report on him. Then he was injured and didn’t play last part of the season. His 10 game per Ave might be alittle inflated since it didn’t include an entire season.

Right now, he doesn’t seem to have confidence to put the ball on the floor at all. He played PG at Auburn so he can dribble. His body language has gotten progressively worse as season has gone on.

Reactions: Hbg
It appears Barnes does not want players to take an open shot early in the shot clock. I have seen this time after time. A player has a wide open shot but it is early in ths shot clock so they pass and many times have to settle for a bad shot as the time clock is expiring. I think if you are a shooter and you have an open shot you should take it regardless of the time on the clock. This is much much better than taking a bad shot as time is running out or having a turnover.

Wtf??? Please watch the Vols play before you post nonsense. Thx.

I see sometimes see Chandler taking a three early in the shot clock. Sometimes James does also, but usually he and Vescovi hunt for the inside high percentage shot trying to get it to the bigs. I think that's what they're asked to do. I think you're right, Barnes wants to get the ball inside first, then take a three only if it's open later in the clock.

This actually is not accurate. Ball movement breaks down the defense and usually provides better shot opportunities. You have to make teams play defense for a variety of reasons. Ball movement from side to side and the way we move without the ball are primary reasons we’re playing so good and have a high assist to FGs made percentage.

VN Store

Back