Players Sitting out Bowl game

LOL. I disagree. The Music City Bowl is actual team competition. It is the Senior Bowl which is nothing more than mere exhibition.

He has that right and I have the right to be critical of it. Quit telling other people what to post. Is what I post important? No. This is just a damn message board ffs.
An exhibition in front of lots of pro scouts is obviously worth the risk to Alontae Taylor and that makes more sense from a business standpoint than the Music City Bowl.

He'll be playing in the Senior Bowl with his peers, guys who will be also trying to get noticed by the NFL, trying to show something specifically so they can better their careers as football players.

Of course, it's risky but it's also a good chance to show something among the SAME GROUP he'll be competing for in the next phase of his career.

It's a business decision.

As for "stop telling people what to post"...... stop telling young men how to run their lives.

And I have plenty of right to critique your opinions. It's a message board ffs.

Outside of the playoff games, bowl games aren't as important as regular season games, but they aren't exhibition either. Crucial practice time for next seasons players and game experience for others who haven't gotten as much during the important part of the season.

This isn't 1985 with a handful of bowls with championship votes on the line and bragging rights against high level opponents you rarely saw during the shorter seasons.

These guys have played 12 games, and in our case, more like 15 with the amount of snaps on defense. If we're gonna cry foul and call for a rule change, then I say all outgoing players skip the bowl practices and play, let them come along and cheer, support and enjoy the fun while the underclassmen get to play in their place.

I hope we win, but I won't be upset if we do not. It really has no bearing on next season. It will be a different team with more training and practice with a large influx of new players.

Relax, enjoy and have fun. It isn't life and death, or whatever some of you are equating it to.

An exhibition… proceeded by a week of practices with NFL coaches, scouts and GMs a few feet away.
Sure. I'm not saying that a prospect shouldn't do the Senior Bowl. The practice of sitting out bowl games due to the risk of injury is a lame excuse. It has become fashionable to the point that even players who have no chance in hell of being drafted or of ever playing a down of pro football are starting to skip their team's bowl game. It's an absurd trend.

Reactions: guido4198
Fair enough. But can he improve that position with a good performance that week In Mobile? Absolutely. And if he gets hurt in a bowl game, I’m pretty sure he isn’t going in the 3rd round now is he?
I don't think he should play in the bowl game. I wouldn't risk the millions that come with being drafted in the top 3 rounds to play in a meaningless bowl game.

Outside of the playoff games, bowl games aren't as important as regular season games, but they aren't exhibition either. Crucial practice time for next seasons players and game experience for others who haven't gotten as much during the important part of the season.

This isn't 1985 with a handful of bowls with championship votes on the line and bragging rights against high level opponents you rarely saw during the shorter seasons.

These guys have played 12 games, and in our case, more like 15 with the amount of snaps on defense. If we're gonna cry foul and call for a rule change, then I say all outgoing players skip the bowl practices and play, let them come along and cheer, support and enjoy the fun while the underclassmen get to play in their place.

I hope we win, but I won't be upset if we do not. It really has no bearing on next season. It will be a different team with more training and practice with a large influx of new players.

Relax, enjoy and have fun. It isn't life and death, or whatever some of you are equating it to.

You lost me at not caring if they lose.

Soooo...according to many of you'uns...Once a player feels satisfied he has a shot at the NFL...he should sit out "meaningless games".
OK...got it. What makes a bowl game "meaningless" any more than ANY OTHER game towards the end of the season once it's established that the school has ZERO chance of being in the playoffs..?? Why not sit out those games as well..?? Are you supporting that too..??
What defines "The Season".....according to who..??
To me...The Season is over when there's no more football to play and a scholarship athlete is obligated to participate until that time, not pick and choose when he "feels like" being out there.
I would have thought things like ethics and honor would be part of the decision making process, but as young men get closer to the NFL...apparently they begin to acquire NFL values.

Say what!? I was prowling the dorm halls and heard singing. Peeked into a room, found Alontae, and I think Cade videoconferencing with several sitting out players from various colleges doing a sing-a-long. Apparently, they dedicated the song to judgmental fans of all schools. Here, I caught the lyrics, then slinked away to share this with VN.

You ain't nothin' but a hound dog
Cryin' all the time
You ain't nothin' but a hound dog
Cryin' all the time
Well, you ain't never run down a speedy WR
You ain't never blocked a 345lbs DT
And you ain't no friend of mine

When they said you was a five star
Well, that was just a lie
When they said you was a five star
Well, that was just a lie
You ain't never brought down a 240lbs RB
You ain't played a game when doctors told it wasn't a good idea.

And you ain't no friend of mine

Last edited:
This is a selfish take. Enjoy them in the NFL, because in all honesty any bowl outside of the CFP means Jack ****.

I take it you'd rather them play, possibly injure themselves for something meaningless, and potentially lose the opportunity to support their families for generations. Sounds well thought out.

This. Nobody gives AF about bowl games. It's nice for the extra practices and it's a reward to the players because they get spending money and fun events centered around them. It's a glorified end of season party that ends in basically a scrimmage, and it's all made possible by corporations wanting to advertise. It's just a huge commercial disguised as a sporting event. That's why bowl games are so hard to predict and aren't really an indicator of how good a team really is.

Why do so many say Cade won't play in the bowl? I'm betting that unless the ankle inexplicably worsens, highly unlikely, he plays in the bowl. Whether or not he comes back next year is the better question.

Reactions: Go13vols13
To me it is basically a reward for the players for having a half way decent season and for all their hard work. If I were the coach and could get away with it, I would start the game with as many seniors as I could and as the game went on get in as many of the underclass men as possible and the finish the game with the upperclassmen. If someone didn’t want to play for whatever reason, that’s fine.

What I don't understand about Alontae is the video where he came back this year because he said there was more to accomplish. He hasn't seen a bowl game in years. I am surprised he is not excited to play this final game.

I don't know about Cade but the last time to play with his brother.

Both have dealt with nagging injuries this year though.

Rumors are going around of Cade possibly coming back next year.....

Reactions: BreatheUT
I hope you do see the difference between a bowl game and the playoffs. As the playoffs expand this will be more and more the case, so if you don't like it you should quit watching now. If you think Taylor, Mays or anyone of these players owes you anything you are wrong. These coaches are becoming multi-millionaires while the players get very little even from the NIL, comparatively speaking. I guarantee if Taylor and Mays were getting reasonably compensated to sacrifice their bodies for our entertainment they would be playing. However, sacrificing their bodies for a Music City Bowl victory with nothing to gain but the possibility of aggravating an injury which would prohibit or limit their livelihood and professional career for your entertainment is laughable to them and I respect their right to do what is best for them. If you don't well................. bye Felicia.

Kinda like having your $100k plus education paid for?

Reactions: papatomany
This went from someone asking who is sitting out, to a debate on players sitting out bowl games and a few calling them quitters.

There was a time when bowl games mattered and players played them. That was an era when media and coaches voted for who was the national champion and more teams had an opportunity to be considered, and teams "fought to the end." There were also less bowl games, making the list of teams that make one more exclusive. You couldn't go .500 and make a bowl game.

That changed with the BCS. Only two teams were determined to have a chance at a national championship. That's when all other bowl games became essentially meaningless and players started to skip them. You saw the number of bowl games expand and they became a commercial mess to try and save their value. The CFP expanded the chance to two more teams, but really until you go to a full blown playoff like Division II & III the players will continue to skip and the bowl season will remain a corporate money making scheme.

IMO, you can't really blame the players and I don't think they are quitters.

VN Store

Back