Players Sitting out Bowl game

Even though I don't like the idea of skipping the bowl game I get it. What I don't understand and correct me if I'm wrong, Isn't Alontae playing in the Senior Bowl? If so, then I have a problem with them skipping the bowl game.
Different deal. Every NFL team will be at the Senior Bowl. They won’t all be at the bowl game.

If they sit out, just to get to the nfl in a bowl game, then I consider them quitters. I consider them quitters to their team players, coaches, fans and the school.
But not their dreams.

I would call anyone complaining about them protecting their future because you might not be as entertained...a selfish human.

But thats just me...

It's the new age of acceptability. Hard to close the box again because it's been accepted. Just like we're not going back to the days of pre NIL regardless of how much confusion it creates and unequal playing fields.

I think its a new age of selfishness and the spoilage of America but mass entertainment.

It is insanely selfish to demand that someone take unnecessary risk to their career...just so you can be entertained.

It is hard for me to get too worked up over a senior with NFL prospects taking a pass on the MCB. It might be different if UT were trying to play their way into a final top ten ranking. But, to me, these lower tier bowls should be viewed more as a reward to the players for a good season and a chance for the team to get some extra practice for the next season.

As far as the seniors go, the commitment is not to just suit up for one more game - it is 2-3 weeks of practice after the season is over and after graduation. It is also a chance for NFL prospects to get hurt and compromise their careers, especially the later round draft guys like Alontae and probably Cade.

If I am the coach, I always want to win, but am also happy to give some practice and game time to next years right tackle and next year's corner. Likewise, as a fan (who is going to the game), I want a win but am going to be happy to get a look at Davis or Crawford at RT or Turnage at CB.

Last edited:
At the end of the day bowls are exhibitions and the playoff games aren’t bowls in the traditional sense .
I disagree. At the beginning of the day, at lunch, on your coffee break and at the end of the day, bowl games count toward the final record. When you are a non-contender, as Tennessee has been since at least 2008, you are essentially playing to position yourself in the most prestigious bowl possible. That stands as a gauge for the programs which are not yet championship caliber. In that context, it makes no sense to then pretend as though the game itself doesn't matter.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
That's weak. If the rationale for skipping the bowl game is the risk of injury, then it exists as much during the Senior Bowl as it would during the bowl game.
Risk/reward. Lots of scouts and a chance to play with guys he'll be competing against for an NFL spot. The risk IS there but the reward of potentially doing something noticed by somebody is better there than at the Music City Bowl.

It's a business decision made by a businessman. Alontae Taylor is doing what is best for his career and taking the risks he feel are worth it for that career.

You have that right. He has that right. Get over it.

Reactions: Delmar
All of those calling them quitters should guarantee to pay them a few million dollars if injured in the bowl game. Being a fan doesn't give any of us the right to dictate what someone else should do when their future is involved.

Reactions: VAVol85
This is a selfish take. Enjoy them in the NFL, because in all honesty any bowl outside of the CFP means Jack ****.

I take it you'd rather them play, possibly injure themselves for something meaningless, and potentially lose the opportunity to support their families for generations. Sounds well thought out.

So let me get this straight........So someone with a college degree can`t support a family?

That's weak. If the rationale for skipping the bowl game is the risk of injury, then it exists as much during the Senior Bowl as it would during the bowl game.
Alontae Taylor is not a sure fire draftee. He needs eyes on him and the Senior Bowl is a far better shot at exposure to NFL scouts than a bowl game. If he has a good week at the Senior Bowl, he can improve his position and thereby more money. If he gets hurt at the bowl game, that shot is gone. Pretty logical to put my effort into the Senior Bowl if I’m him.

Risk/reward. Lots of scouts and a chance to play with guys he'll be competing against for an NFL spot. The risk IS there but the reward of potentially doing something noticed by somebody is better there than at the Music City Bowl.

It's a business decision made by a businessman. Alontae Taylor is doing what is best for his career and taking the risks he feel are worth it for that career.

You have that right. He has that right. Get over it.
LOL. I disagree. The Music City Bowl is actual team competition. It is the Senior Bowl which is nothing more than mere exhibition.

He has that right and I have the right to be critical of it. Quit telling other people what to post. Is what I post important? No. This is just a damn message board ffs.

So let me get this straight........So someone with a college degree can`t support a family?

What does this even mean? Plenty of people with college degrees can’t support their families on their salary alone. Besides, let’s not pretend any football player with NFL talent is taking their courses seriously.

LOL. I disagree. The Music City Bowl is actual team competition. It is the Senior Bowl which is nothing more than mere exhibition.

He has that right and I have the right to be critical of it. Quit telling other people what to post. Is what I post important? No. This is just a damn message board ffs.

The Music City Bowl is an exhibition.

The Senior Bowl is week-long a job interview for prospective NFL players. The practices leading up to the game are as important as the game itself.

Alontae Taylor is not a sure fire draftee. He needs eyes on him and the Senior Bowl is a far better shot at exposure to NFL scouts than a bowl game. If he has a good week at the Senior Bowl, he can improve his position and thereby more money. If he gets hurt at the bowl game, that shot is gone. Pretty logical to put my effort into the Senior Bowl if I’m him.
Do you keep up with draft rankings? Taylor is currently ranked as the #78 prospect in the draft which would put him in the 3rd round. He is the #10 ranked CB in the draft. Yes, he is pretty much a guaranteed draft pick.

And the Senior Bowl has NFL scouts there all week watching practice and they won’t be at the bowl game. The practices are more important for evaluation than the game itself. You certainly have the right to be critical but at the end of the day, I am certain he doesn’t give one 💩 about your opinion. I would suggest getting over it. I know I have. Personally I’m looking forward to seeing the guys who have to step in next year and I wish AT and Cade well if they choose to move on.

Reactions: VAVol85
The Music City Bowl is an exhibition.

The Senior Bowl is week-long a job interview for prospective NFL players. The practices leading up to the game are as important as the game itself.
Exactly. Some folks evidently don’t get that fact.

Do you keep up with draft rankings? Taylor is currently ranked as the #78 prospect in the draft which would put him in the 3rd round. He is the #10 ranked CB in the draft. Yes, he is pretty much a guaranteed draft pick.
Fair enough. But can he improve that position with a good performance that week In Mobile? Absolutely. And if he gets hurt in a bowl game, I’m pretty sure he isn’t going in the 3rd round now is he?

If they sit out, just to get to the nfl in a bowl game, then I consider them quitters. I consider them quitters to their team players, coaches, fans and the school.
I agree. Leaving before the season is quitting unless there are legitimate injury concerns. Now foregoing a whole year of eligibility for the draft , I have no problem with it.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
A rare brain cell amongst this thread.

Cade has been nursing a high ankle sprain for a while now, and he has the opportunity to be a professional football player. If anyone is giving him advice and is telling him anything other than to get healthy, they are doing him a disservice.

Alontae has given far more to this University and this football team than anyone commenting in this thread. He stuck it out through the hard times when he likely could have left. But these folks are right, he's a "quitter" that is abandoning his team because he doesn't want to play in the worthless Music City Bowl.

I wish they would rid us of more than half of these meaningless bowls, because maybe then they wouldn't be so cheapened that the actually mattered. Right now, they just don't whatsoever.

You was doing great til you said this. This is so far from true. Extra practice, cash to the university, player gifts, etc.. I dont think you've been around anyone to have played in a bowl game up close. As the family member of one who played in 4 i can tell you it is exciting for fans and the team. And even more so now because it has NIL potential.

People here forget that Josh Palmer made himself a lot of money by playing in the Senior Bowl last year. I would have never thought he would be a 3rd round pick, but he showed up to the SB healthy and played himself into that draft position. In the case of Taylor, he may have an opportunity to increase his draft stock and financially help his family or community out. I’m sure his teammates would agree and support his decision.

VN Store

Back