Pitt fan here. Ask me anything.

Probably already asked but what should we take from the 76 yards on rushing? Is WV DL good? I didn't watch but the last 5 mins.
Their defensive line was better than I thought, so I won’t take any credit away from them. However, it was largely a result of trying to establish the run in a new offense that featured different run blocking (man versus zone) than what we had done the previous three years. I expect it to be better this week.

I’d like to stop being a Browns fan because of Deshaun Watson. But I feel guilty rooting for another NFL team.. do you have any suggestions?
(Please note I have never been to Cleveland and started rooting for the Browns in high school as a joke then I just got attached to them)
If a player is never charged, or found guilty, why should you stop being a fan? Isn’t the only standard for a player on a team you cheer for just their guilt or innocence in a court of law?

Pitt does not have any street or building named after Coach Majors. In fact, Jock Sutherland is the only Pitt football player or coach that has anything named after him on campus. However, the Great Hall inside Heinz Field might have something commemorated to him since he is in our Hall of Fame.

As for his legacy, we absolutely love him. He is considered one of the most influential people in Pitt football history. He single-handidly revived Pitt football in the 70s at a time when the program was on the ropes. It’s not an exaggeration to say we might not have FBS football today if it weren’t for him (our university leadership has a rocky relationship with athletics). He won us our most recent national championship and laid the pieces for the run we had with Jackie Sherrill. He was even responsible for introducing the Pitt Script. As for his second tenure, we mostly chalk it up as a mulligan. He was a fantastic human being that made a huge impression on anyone that got to meet him. We’re just lucky to have gotten to share him with his alma mater.

Thanks for this info..I was just curious...I hoped Pitt fans thought well of him....

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Hard to tell since I haven't watched much of Tennessee outside of our game last season. The secondary is still our weakness on defense and we lost our best corner back from last season- Damarri Mathis- to the NFL. However, Marquis Williams and MJ Devonshire, the CB who had the game-winning pick six, are back.

If it's anything like our previous three matchups against Josh Heupel, we're going to press and you're going to air it out. We'll break up most of your deep balls but will also get several PI/holding penalties called against us. Hooker concerns me because he has a cannon, but I think the Brawl benefitted us because WVU runs a similar offense and really tested our secondary. I think it will come down to our front seven getting pressure on Hooker.

I agree with you opinion of it will come down to your front 7 getting pressure on Hooker. If he has time to throw it will be a high scoring game.

Do you think the Vols win by 20 or 30? Im serious.

No I don't think we will win by that much. I think it will be a close game. If we win by that much we are a very much improved team and will have a very great season. imo we will see where we are as a team this sat. Of course the very tough teams on our schedule are bama, ga, and fla. with fla being a tossup. That is if we win Sat. If we win Sat. I could see us going 10 and 2 if not 7 and 5

Is Johnny Majors still considered to be the greatest coach in Pittsburgh history?
In modern history, yes. However, I think most fans would tell you that the greatest coach in Pitt football history has always been Jock Sutherland. He was an All-American at Pitt and won five national championships here as a coach.

Unfortunately, he was run out after 1938 because the university administration wished to de-emphasize football/athletics and prioritize academics. This was the case with many of the northeastern football powers at the time. Pitt is one of the few that survived and is still a FBS program today.

I think most of the fanbase would consider a successful season to be at least nine regular season wins and a return to the ACC championship. This is a big game for us fans because, from our perspective, we should win every game on our schedule after this one until Miami in the regular season finale. With that in mind, I think another 10-2 season is definitely realistic for us.
You would make a perfect vol fan. Already talking 10-2. You'd fit right in

Hard to tell since I haven't watched much of Tennessee outside of our game last season. The secondary is still our weakness on defense and we lost our best corner back from last season- Damarri Mathis- to the NFL. However, Marquis Williams and MJ Devonshire, the CB who had the game-winning pick six, are back.

If it's anything like our previous three matchups against Josh Heupel, we're going to press and you're going to air it out. We'll break up most of your deep balls but will also get several PI/holding penalties called against us. Hooker concerns me because he has a cannon, but I think the Brawl benefitted us because WVU runs a similar offense and really tested our secondary. I think it will come down to our front seven getting pressure on Hooker.

This is a concern for me, Hooker is very patient and tends to hold the ball longer and def could give your front 7 a lot of opportunities for sacks. I watched the last quarter of the WV game and I was pretty impressed with PItt's offense and defense over physically. I am worried we are not physical enough up front on either side, I hope we can run the ball because if we cant we have little chance to win. I do like this little rivalry between the teams, its friendly and a fun game to look forward to. I also do not like being favored and can not understand why we would be when Pitt is ranked in the top 20 and at home.

Here is a question….why is Narduzzi coming across as such an a-hole all of a sudden, and what was the University trying to pull with its tiny allotment of crappy nosebleed seats?

I know…that’s two questions. Enquiring minds want to know.

My uncle swears by Vincent's Pizza (Vinnies) - is he correct?

I saw you mentioned Weirton WV - is it still the home of many strip clubs?

Here is a question….why is Narduzzi coming across as such an a-hole all of a sudden, and what was the University trying to pull with its tiny allotment of crappy nosebleed seats?

I know…that’s two questions. Enquiring minds want to know.
Narduzzi has always been like this, but the rest of the nation is starting to pick up on it now that we have a bigger platform. Personally, I love it. You have to understand that after we fired Wannstedt, we went through a span of three head coaches in four years. With Narduzzi, you have no doubts where his loyalties are. He’s essentially your average Yinzer. He will defend the university and the program no matter how he comes off, and as a result the players would run through a wall for him. His act wouldn’t fly in many places, but he’s a quintessential Pittsburgh coach and I love the guy for it.

As for the ticket allotments, I’d imagine you’re referring to where Pitt’s visitor section is in the 500s. This is always how they’ve done it dating back to Heinz Field opening. I’m not sure why they do it like this, but Tennessee is no different. It’s the first time I can recall an issue being made of it, though I can certainly understand the Volunteers’ gripe.

Narduzzi has always been like this, but the rest of the nation is starting to pick up on it now that we have a bigger platform. Personally, I love it. You have to understand that after we fired Wannstedt, we went through a span of three head coaches in four years. With Narduzzi, you have no doubts where his loyalties are. He’s essentially your average Yinzer. He will defend the university and the program no matter how he comes off, and as a result the players would run through a wall for him. His act wouldn’t fly in many places, but he’s a quintessential Pittsburgh coach and I love the guy for it.

As for the ticket allotments, I’d imagine you’re referring to where Pitt’s visitor section is in the 500s. This is always how they’ve done it dating back to Heinz Field opening. I’m not sure why they do it like this, but Tennessee is no different. It’s the first time I can recall an issue being made of it, though I can certainly understand the Volunteers’ gripe.
You may love it, now, but the a-hole persona wears thin when it’s coupled with disappointing results. Ask a Tennessee fan.

The allotment issue is magnified by the way we travel. Pitt may rue the decision to cause our fans to hit the open market for tickets. Hopefully we cause Narduzzi to melt down on ESPN again.

My uncle swears by Vincent's Pizza (Vinnies) - is he correct?

I saw you mentioned Weirton WV - is it still the home of many strip clubs?
If he’s referring to Vincent’s in Braddock, he’s not wrong. I wouldn’t call it my favorite, but it’s good… it’s very similar to Fiori’s, one of the most popular pizza places in Pittsburgh. Personally, my go-to was Pizzeria Davide.

As for Weirton, I have no clue; it’s been a while since we lived near there. I wouldn’t be surprised, though. There used to be a ton on Main St.

Why are you a Pitt fan??
My family was steel-mill workers ever since they emigrated from Europe in the 1880s. It’s honest work, but they barely got by. My grandpa became the first person in either side of my family to escape that life and go to college at Pitt. My father followed suit and became the first person on side side to attend college, which was also at Pitt. I, and my family, would not be where we are today were it not for the university. Proud to call myself a third-generation Panther because of that.

VN Store

Back