Pitt fan here. Ask me anything.

Would love to hear about some good places to eat close to or near the stadium. Maybe a bar where UT fans will mingle. A good place to tailgate?

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Would love to hear about some good places to eat close to or near the stadium. Maybe a bar where UT fans will mingle. A good place to tailgate?
There’s four blocks worth of lots between Heinz Field and PNC Park along Robinson St where all the tailgating will take place. You should be able to find a Vols tailgate there or set one up yourself. There may also be a Tennessee group/club that reserves one of the premium tailgating sites on the lawns outside the stadium, so I would look there as well.

As for restaurants and bars, there are several great breweries, bars, and restaurants just across the street from the stadium. I’d imagine this is where your fans will congregate at. Burgatory is a cool local restaurant and Voodoo Brewery Co. is a favorite among Pitt alums. Other options in the city include Station Square on the opposite side of the river (where the Inclines are located) and the Market Square downtown, which is home to Primanti Bros. Both are accessible by the subway and would take you directly to the stadium if you wish to hang out there before the game.

Want to know more about our team? Need suggestions on things to do around the Burgh? Ask away and I’ll be more than happy to respond. Tennessee was one of the most welcoming and accommodating fanbases we ever met last year, so I hope you all receive the same generosity from us.
Cheesesteak or pepperoni roll?

Want to know more about our team? Need suggestions on things to do around the Burgh? Ask away and I’ll be more than happy to respond. Tennessee was one of the most welcoming and accommodating fanbases we ever met last year, so I hope you all receive the same generosity from us.

Reactions: VFL_JB
Why don’t y’all have your own stadium? Can you not afford one?
(Long post) In the mid-90s, the football program had been in disarray for about ten years and Pitt Stadium, home to Pitt football since 1925, was in desperate need of repairs. At the same time, we were also looking to replace our basketball arena, the Fitzgerald Fieldhouse, that was just as old and was too small for our fanbase.

Originally, there was a plan to renovate Pitt Stadium and build a new basketball arena on a vacant parking lot in front of the Cost Center (indoor turf field). However, the Steelers were looking for a new stadium around the same time. Pitt eventually hopped on the Heinz Field/UPMC SouthSide (practice facility) deal with the Steelers, tore down Pitt Stadium to build a new basketball arena, the Petersen Events Center, and the rest was history. There was definitely a lack of donors to fund both a Pitt Stadium renovation and a new basketball arena; moving football off-campus was a cheaper alternative to solving both facility problems. This was due to the lack of success at the time as well as the fact that then-AD Steve Pederson drove off the Golden Panthers, the booster club that funded our success in the 70s and 80s. That tarnished relationship has carried over to today and is why Pitt has one of the lowest donor rates among P5 programs.

With that being said, Pitt likely doesn’t join the ACC if we don’t move to Heinz Field. Our facilities were among the worst in the country for a power conference program and not having to renovate Pitt Stadium freed up funds to both build a new arena and build facilities for baseball, soccer, and softball. At the same time, it likely guaranteed that football would never return on-campus because Oakland, the neighborhood that houses the university, is land-locked with more and more properties being acquired by tech companies and housing developers. There simply is not enough room to build a new stadium on-campus, and buying up lots would run into the hundreds of millions of dollars. In my opinion, the only way Pitt football likely ever returns to campus is if the Pittsburgh VA Hospital, which resides next to the athletics neighborhood on campus, moves out and builds a new hospital elsewhere in the city

(Long post) In the mid-90s, the football program had been in disarray for about ten years and Pitt Stadium, home to Pitt football since 1925, was in desperate need of repairs. At the same time, we were also looking to replace our basketball arena, the Fitzgerald Fieldhouse, that was just as old and was too small for our fanbase.

Originally, there was a plan to renovate Pitt Stadium and build a new basketball arena on a vacant parking lot in front of the Cost Center (indoor turf field). However, the Steelers were looking for a new stadium around the same time. Pitt eventually hopped on the Heinz Field/UPMC SouthSide (practice facility) deal with the Steelers, tore down Pitt Stadium to build a new basketball arena, the Petersen Events Center, and the rest was history. There was definitely a lack of donors to fund both a Pitt Stadium renovation and a new basketball arena; moving football off-campus was a cheaper alternative to solving both facility problems. This was due to the lack of success at the time as well as the fact that then-AD Steve Pederson drove off the Golden Panthers, the booster club that funded our success in the 70s and 80s. That tarnished relationship has carried over to today and is why Pitt has one of the lowest donor rates among P5 programs.

With that being said, Pitt likely doesn’t join the ACC if we don’t move to Heinz Field. Our facilities were among the worst in the country for a power conference program and not having to renovate Pitt Stadium freed up funds to both build a new arena and build facilities for baseball, soccer, and softball. At the same time, it likely guaranteed that football would never return on-campus because Oakland, the neighborhood that houses the university, is land-locked with more and more properties being acquired by tech companies and housing developers. There simply is not enough room to build a new stadium on-campus, and buying up lots would run into the hundreds of millions of dollars. In my opinion, the only way Pitt football likely ever returns to campus is if the Pittsburgh VA Hospital, which resides next to the athletics neighborhood on campus, moves out and builds a new hospital elsewhere in the city
Crazy, appreciate the post. Y’all are one of the best acc teams and they can’t give you your own stadium.? If y’all keep up the play from last season it’ll happen. Just do us a favor and ball out after next weekend.

We will be flying in on Friday. We may try the Pirates game out. GO VOLS
Enjoy the game. If you’re wondering where to sit, you’ll get the best bang for your buck just to left of home plate in the upper deck. In my opinion, that will give you the best view of the city.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back