Pitt fan here. Ask me anything.

If he’s referring to Vincent’s in Braddock, he’s not wrong. I wouldn’t call it my favorite, but it’s good… it’s very similar to Fiori’s, one of the most popular pizza places in Pittsburgh. Personally, my go-to was Pizzeria Davide.

As for Weirton, I have no clue; it’s been a while since we lived near there. I wouldn’t be surprised, though. There used to be a ton on Main St.

Indeed - visited in 1991 and was amazed at the number and how inexpensive they were - 90cent draft Genesee's

I'm originally from McKeesport but moved away in the late 60s

Reactions: HailToPitt725
You may love it, now, but the a-hole persona wears thin when it’s coupled with disappointing results. Ask a Tennessee fan.

The allotment issue is magnified by the way we travel. Pitt may rue the decision to cause our fans to hit the open market for tickets. Hopefully we cause Narduzzi to melt down on ESPN again.
That’s fair, but we already had our lumps with him. I’m at the point where he’s my guy for better or worse. You also have to understand that if you’re considered “one of us”, you’re given a loooooong leash by the fans. Most of the fanbase still regrets firing Wannstedt despite his above-average results, and that was because he was a Yinzer and Pitt alum. Pat’s from Youngstown so for most of us, he fits that description.

Also, I hope we rue it. I’d love to see a ton of orange in the stadium because it’d make for a great gameday atmosphere. I wouldn’t expect anything less from the Volunteers, who have a reputation of traveling well.

That’s fair, but we already had our lumps with him. I’m at the point where he’s my guy for better or worse. You also have to understand that if you’re considered “one of us”, you’re given a loooooong leash by the fans. Most of the fanbase still regrets firing Wannstedt despite his above-average results, and that was because he was a Yinzer and Pitt alum. Pat’s from Youngstown so for most of us, he fits that description.

Also, I hope we rue it. I’d love to see a ton of orange in the stadium because it’d make for a great gameday atmosphere. I wouldn’t expect anything less from the Volunteers, who have a reputation of traveling well.

Wannstedt was a disaster - wasn't he behind the "we're Pittsburgh, not Pitt" stuff and changing the colors?

Bring back Walt Harris!

At what point did you figure out Kevin Stallings was just taking you for a ride?
The moment I got word from a buddy that we were hiring him. It was an inside job from the start. Our then-AD, Scott Barnes, hired a search firm led by Barnes’ former boss. The search firm guy was also the AD at Vanderbilt who hired Kevin Stallings and wanted to give him a golden parachute on the way out the door from Vanderbilt. Too many connections for it all to be a coincidence.

We absolutely deserved it for running Jamie Dixon out of town, though. Best coach in school history and we nudged him to take the TCU job because he *only* took us to the Elite Eight.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Wannstedt was a disaster - wasn't he behind the "we're Pittsburgh, not Pitt" stuff and changing the colors?

Bring back Walt Harris!
Every time I hear that name, I remember that he was the Pacific head coach when Webb tore his ACL.

Please don’t take my line of questioning as hostile. I’ve liked Pitt for a long time, due to the connection with Majors, and the two developments I mentioned seemed out of character for the program. Maybe it’s all magnified by the fairly new level of attention on Pitt due to their recent success.

Bring back Walt Harris!
No, that was Steve Pederson, the athletic director that made the decision to change the colors, get rid of the script, and tear down Pitt Stadium. He left us for Nebraska, ruined their program, and then got hired back a second time and set us back years because of how he handled Wannstedt and the coaches following him.

Wannstedt is a true Pitt Man and absolutely hated Pederson. He thought- correctly- that he didn’t understand and appreciate the history of the school. Personally, I think he should’ve been given another year or two. I loved Wanny and really wanted him to be the guy that got us back (winning the Big East, going to a BCS bowl). We came so close several times. In an ideal world, we go straight from him to Narduzzi.

Please don’t take my line of questioning as hostile. I’ve liked Pitt for a long time, due to the connection with Majors, and the two developments I mentioned seemed out of character for the program. Maybe it’s all magnified by the fairly new level of attention on Pitt due to their recent success.
No hostilities taken, and I appreciate the kind words. There’s a lot of times where he’d do himself good if he just kept his mouth shut, but there’s other times where I’m glad he said something or stood up for the program. He’s certainly a controversial guy; you either love him or hate him.

Indeed - visited in 1991 and was amazed at the number and how inexpensive they were - 90cent draft Genesee's

I'm originally from McKeesport but moved away in the late 60s
Small world, I grew up closer to the airport but had a good buddy from school that was from McKeesport. It’s sad how the east side of the city has declined in recent years. Would love to see it improve in the coming years as the city continues to make its transformation.

Reactions: volinbham
The moment I got word from a buddy that we were hiring him. It was an inside job from the start. Our then-AD, Scott Barnes, hired a search firm led by Barnes’ former boss. The search firm guy was also the AD at Vanderbilt who hired Kevin Stallings and wanted to give him a golden parachute on the way out the door from Vanderbilt. Too many connections for it all to be a coincidence.

We absolutely deserved it for running Jamie Dixon out of town, though. Best coach in school history and we nudged him to take the TCU job because he *only* took us to the Elite Eight.
Dixon was great there. Fans and administrations everywhere just don’t buy into the philosophy that better is the evil of good enough.

Small world, I grew up closer to the airport but had a good buddy from school that was from McKeesport. It’s sad how the east side of the city has declined in recent years. Would love to see it improve in the coming years as the city continues to make its transformation.

Makes my folks sad to see it. Right after I was born we moved to Irwin and were there until we left for Tennessee. Still have some relatives in Elizabeth

No, that was Steve Pederson, the athletic director that made the decision to change the colors, get rid of the script, and tear down Pitt Stadium. He left us for Nebraska, ruined their program, and then got hired back a second time and set us back years because of how he handled Wannstedt and the coaches following him.

Wannstedt is a true Pitt Man and absolutely hated Pederson. He thought- correctly- that he didn’t understand and appreciate the history of the school. Personally, I think he should’ve been given another year or two. I loved Wanny and really wanted him to be the guy that got us back (winning the Big East, going to a BCS bowl). We came so close several times. In an ideal world, we go straight from him to Narduzzi.
Nobody understands the concept of wandering in the wilderness looking for the right coach more than a Tennessee fan. My condolences.

Never should have torn that down. With a solid AD they would have done something similar to the new Stanford Stadium out in Palo Alto.

Never should have torn that down. With a solid AD they would have done something similar to the new Stanford Stadium out in Palo Alto.
Agreed. If you’ve ever seen Duke’s renovated stadium, that’s likely what a renovated Pitt Stadium would’ve looked like except the seating would stretch around the entire bowl. Lots of history in that building which unfortunately, is now gone.

Last edited:
Here is a question….why is Narduzzi coming across as such an a-hole all of a sudden, and what was the University trying to pull with its tiny allotment of crappy nosebleed seats?

I know…that’s two questions. Enquiring minds want to know.
Narduzzi is the same as he has always been. He has no filter.

UT is getting the exact same visitor allotment that literally every Pitt opponent has gotten for at least the past 10 years. Pitt is not "pulling" anything. It's an NFL stadium, and the worst seats in the house are better than 90% of the bench/bleacher seats that you get in most college stadiums. Every seat has a great view of the game.

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood

Want to know more about our team? Need suggestions on things to do around the Burgh? Ask away and I’ll be more than happy to respond. Tennessee was one of the most welcoming and accommodating fanbases we ever met last year, so I hope you all receive the same generosity from us.

Thank you for the kind words and offer.
Herbie is an amazing fly. He can fly fast and long distances without even decelerating. Herbie flies at 282 mph.

Two cars start out on the opposite ends of the country, 3,108 miles apart, and drive in a straight line toward one another at a constant rate of speed. The car starting on the west coast travels at 100 mph. The car starting on the East coast travels at 68 mph.

Herbie begins flying as the cars start driving. He flies from the front of the bumper of the car on the west coast until he reaches the front bumper of the car on the east coast. Then he turns around and flies back to the front bumper on the west coast. He does this over and over until the cars crash into one another head on, probably somewhere in the Midwest. Unfortunately Herbie died in the violent collision.

My question for you is how far did Herbie fly before he got smooshed?

Scott Barnes and Pederson? We trumped you all with Hammie and Hartless.
No university can screw up Administion/BOT like UT. Making us pay for the Holt/Boling/Johnson/Dickey years . Somewhere the powers that be decided we had been spoiled.
(edited to add Scott…we love our Barnes🍊🏀🧡)
second edit, oh my Lord! I typed Dooley for Doug Dickey! Forgive me VolNation and Daryl Dickey. I am doing penance as I type😥.

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words and offer.
Herbie is an amazing fly. He can fly fast and long distances without even decelerating. Herbie flies at 282 mph.

Two cars start out on the opposite ends of the country, 3,108 miles apart, and drive in a straight line toward one another at a constant rate of speed. The car starting on the west coast travels at 100 mph. The car starting on the East coast travels at 68 mph.

Herbie begins flying as the cars start driving. He flies from the front of the bumper of the car on the west coast until he reaches the front bumper of the car on the east coast. Then he turns around and flies back to the front bumper on the west coast. He does this over and over until the cars crash into one another head on, probably somewhere in the Midwest. Unfortunately Herbie died in the violent collision.

My question for you is how far did Herbie fly before he got smooshed?
What do you think I am, a Carnegie-Mellon alum?

Barnes and Pederson? We trumped you all with Hammie and Hartless.
No university can screw up Administion/BOT like UT. Making us pay for the Holt/Boling/Johnson/Dooley years . Somewhere the powers that be decided we had been spoiled.
It’s a shame what has happened to Tennessee football. I think the Volunteers are one of the best brands in the SEC, which was why I was very excited when this series was announced. I hope Heupel can return the Volunteers to national prominence soon… so long as it’s after this weekend, of course.

VN Store

Back