Per Doug Gottlieb In ESPN The Magazine

Probably a good bet - but now that Pearl has proven he can win here... and has since caused the University to upgrade and build better facilities... it really could open the door and cause interest for more coaches who may be even better if it were to come to him leaving for another job.

Definitely. He's put Tennessee on the national stage, so at this point, I'm sure there are coaches out there that can get UT to the next level.

I never turned on him and that's just stupid to even say that. Wow.

It's also stupid to think there wouldn't be an even better coach out there that we could land if he were to leave. That's ignorant.

Bruce is a good overall coach, not great.

See how many top level coaches will line up to come to Knoxville if you run BP out of town so quickly after the success he's had. I'm not saying that we would never land a good/better coach. I'm saying that we haven't reached a level yet where we just drop a guy for having a down season with a young team. The man has ridiculous classes lined up to come to the Hill and overachieved with his teams the past 2 years and you're ready to give him the boot? That sounds like a bit of an overreaction to me.....:whistling:

See how many top level coaches will line up to come to Knoxville if you run BP out of town so quickly after the success he's had. I'm not saying that we would never land a good/better coach. I'm saying that we haven't reached a level yet where we just drop a guy for having a down season with a young team. The man has ridiculous classes lined up to come to the Hill and overachieved with his teams the past 2 years and you're ready to give him the boot? That sounds like a bit of an overreaction to me.....:whistling:
nobody's advocating running him out of town. Even his biggest detractors wouldn't go there.

Lol - I never said fire the guy. I said IF he decides to leave on his OWN and take another job, like example... The Wizards.

the wizards wouldnt do us such a favor... would they?

yea he's done about all he can here at Tennessee, there's nothing left to prove so go ahead Bruce chase the stars and go be an nba head coach.. away from here..

Have at it Wizards - as long as we don't go out and hire a moron.

nobody's advocating running him out of town. Even his biggest detractors wouldn't go there.

You'll have to excuse me if I got the impression that it was being advocated.

Lol - I never said fire the guy. I said IF he decides to leave on his OWN and take another job, like example... The Wizards.

To be fair, this was the only post I saw from you when I responded.

Originally Posted by Bassmanbruno

I see in your subsequent posts that you cleared up your position. :eek:k:

He has certainly been testing the waters though.
I'm somewhat of a detractor, but HE has been talking about the other jobs that are going to be coming down the pike for CBP over the next couple of years.

CBP was great for our situation, but isn't necessarily the guy to take the next step. Our program needed Pearl more than anyone else in the position we were holding. If he can be the guy to take the next step, fabulous. If not, there are many programs out there that badly need his skills.

Well, I hate it when people are too naive to see the big picture. Bruce moved up to a new level when he jumped from UWM to SEC level competition. He had immediate success and jumped up to another level taking UT into the position of being a Top 25 program. Now he has hit a spot where the team is struggling and quite frankly he is struggling as a coach. But as successful as he has been at every step of his coaching career, to not even think he can adjust given some time makes no sense. Is the team struggling right now? Yes. Is he doing a good job coaching them right now? No. Does that mean he will not adjust and get the team back on track this year or next....

To be fair, this was the only post I saw from you when I responded.

Originally Posted by Bassmanbruno

I see in your subsequent posts that you cleared up your position. :eek:k:

What the first post meant - probably could've worded it better - is that I wouldn't be upset at all if that happened. I'd miss his personality but would be excited IF we could get in a great hire - who knows if we could though - its risky business.

and I think that's exactly right. He did things that very few could have done and he resurrected recruiting. I don't think anyone can reasonably argue the other side of that coin.
I can name multiple guys who would have taken the Tennessee job when Pearl did that would have done as well or better. How would you have liked to have looked out on the floor last year and seen a lineup of OJ Mayo, Jamont Gordon, Tyler Smith, Bill Walker, and Michael Beasley?

I can name multiple guys who would have taken the Tennessee job when Pearl did that would have done as well or better. How would you have liked to have looked out on the floor last year and seen a lineup of OJ Mayo, Jamont Gordon, Tyler Smith, Bill Walker, and Michael Beasley?
I said very few. Clearly there are others who could have gotten it done.

I don't think that team could have won anything. Wouldn't have had Bradshaw's heart.

I said very few. Clearly there are others who could have gotten it done.

I don't think that team could have won anything. Wouldn't have had Bradshaw's heart.
That group would have ripped Bradshaw's heart from his chest and eaten it for a snack.

VN Store

Back