Per Doug Gottlieb In ESPN The Magazine

seriously. The guy who could have pulled that off was one badass recruiter.
Knoxville is a little better destination than Manhattan, KS. Mayo ended up in LA, in great part, because he wanted no part of the Little Apple. If Bill Walker had been in a more desirable locale, Mayo follows him.

seriously. The guy who could have pulled that off was one badass recruiter.
You mean the kind of guy who gets Bill Walker and Michael Beasley to come to Manhattan, KS and Devin Ebanks to pass up Memphis for the Valhalla that is Morgantown, WV?

Knoxville is a little better destination than Manhattan, KS. Mayo ended up in LA, in great part, because he wanted no part of the Little Apple. If Bill Walker had been in a more desirable locale, Mayo follows him.
I assumed most of that. Would CBH have come here if offered? Didn't most view this as a graveyard prior to our renaissance?

I assumed most of that. Would CBH have come here if offered? Didn't most view this as a graveyard prior to our renaissance?
Huggins would have taken pretty much any BCS conference job with a decent paycheck to get the Hell away from Nancy Zimpher by that point.

Hat do you think because of the type of players Pearl needs to run his system that he is passing up some great players? You cant tell me we dont need some bigger bodies out there.

The main reason most people considered UT a graveyard had recently retired at that point.
good point. Then we missed a golden opportunity. I'm not unhappy with what has transpired, but would love to have seen us go out with the intention of hitting a home run.

Huggins would have taken pretty much any BCS conference job with a decent paycheck to get the Hell away from Nancy Zimpher by that point.
Either way, Huggins still would have left for West Virginia when it opened up, don't you think?

Either way, Huggins still would have left for West Virginia when it opened up, don't you think?
Possibly, but he would have been far more likely to stay at a place with massive resources like UT than he would have a locale with middle of the road facilities and financing like K-State.

Keep this in mind...well, for some of you mindless posters: The day HatVol comes remotely close to understanding the game as well as Ernie Grunfeld will be the day hell freezes over.

I never turned on him and that's just stupid to even say that. Wow.

It's also stupid to think there wouldn't be an even better coach out there that we could land if he were to leave. That's ignorant.

Bruce is a good overall coach, not great.

Name one coach WE could GET that is better?

Name one coach WE could GET that is better?
Gee, I see the Fulmerite mantra of "Who ya gonna git?" has been transferred to Saint Bruce. Upgrading from Bruce would be about a 3 on a scale of 1-10 degree of difficulty. As long as Dickey doesn't come back to make the hire, I'm confident UT would come out ahead.

Gee, I see the Fulmerite mantra of "Who ya gonna git?" has been transferred to Saint Bruce. Upgrading from Bruce would be about a 3 on a scale of 1-10 on a degree of difficulty. As long as Dickey doesn't come back to make the hire, I'm confident UT would come out ahead.

I guess you don't realize I was one of the first calling for Fulmer's head. I just didn't realize our powerhouse basketball school has attracted a host of different high caliber coaching candidates over the past 25 years. I just wanted a few names that some of you who know more about the game than I do could throw out that would be a step up from Pearl. As I read more of the responses on this thread, I find the discussion about needing a new coach to take us to the next level intriguing. Perhaps there is some truth there...

I guess you don't realize I was one of the first calling for Fulmer's head. I just didn't realize our powerhouse basketball school has attracted a host of different high caliber coaching candidates over the past 25 years. I just wanted a few names that some of you who know more about the game than I do could throw out that would be a step up from Pearl. As I read more of the responses on this thread, I find the discussion about needing a new coach to take us to the next level intriguing. Perhaps there is some truth there...
Tennessee could have hired multiple coaches better than Bruce when they fired Peterson. Depending on when Pearl departs, there will be at least 15 guys available who would be an upgrade.

Tennessee could have hired multiple coaches better than Bruce when they fired Peterson. Depending on when Pearl departs, there will be at least 15 guys available who would be an upgrade.

Assuming he leaves now, do you think our opening would be considered a great opportunity? I'm just curious because I was always under the impression that we couldn't pull in a great coach.

Assuming he leaves now, do you think our opening would be considered a great opportunity? I'm just curious because I was always under the impression that we couldn't pull in a great coach.

I think he's definitely helped up the interest of coaches looking to move up if he were to leave. He's caused us to build a brand new practice facility and upgrade the arena into a great place to see a CBB game through his performance here. He's proven that you can win here and can get recruits in here - and the fans will support you.

I don't think there are many coaches who wouldn't consider a place with a refurbished 21,000 seat arena that is filled close to capacity every night and a state of the art practice facility anything less than a great opportunity. The vast majority of UT's problems hiring basketball coaches in the last 20 years were the result of having a basketball illiterate making the hires.

I don't think there are many coaches who wouldn't consider a place with a refurbished 21,000 seat arena that is filled close to capacity every night and a state of the art practice facility anything less than a great opportunity. The vast majority of UT's problems hiring basketball coaches in the last 20 years were the result of having a basketball illiterate making the hires.

Fair enough...

The Wizards are known for making bad decisions..... hiring Bruce Pearl would be one.....

Bruce is a great recruiter and a players coach..... He's a college guy, not an NBA guy.

I don't see him being successful in the NBA.

mm

If we were going for a new coach, would you attempt to offer any assistance to Hamilton?

The Wizards are known for making bad decisions..... hiring Bruce Pearl would be one.....

Bruce is a great recruiter and a players coach..... He's a college guy, not an NBA guy.

I don't see him being successful in the NBA.

mm

You speak the truth on this one, mm.

TT

Here's the thing: Very few coaches are really successful in the NBA; nearly all get hired, get fired in three years, move to another pro team as head coach or asst., three years later move to another NBA team as head coach or asst, and so it goes. It's musical chairs in the NBA except for a precious few guys. Coach K could have coached the Lakers but didn't accept--I'm sure mostly because he knew that, unlike at Duke, he'd LOSE in the NBA and his reputation would get dinged. Why give up a great college situation.

VN Store

Back