Per Doug Gottlieb In ESPN The Magazine

Bruce would put the Wizards in a really strong position to capture a #1 overall draft pick.

Not sure about the best recruiter. He's pretty decent - but probably not the best out there we could have landed.

Please, sir, point me in the direction of anyone who has ever been able to do a better job in Knoxville than Pearl has in the short time he has been there.
what does that matter? relative merit amongst UT basketball coachless like virtue among thieves.

Not sure about the best recruiter. He's pretty decent - but probably not the best out there we could have landed.

At the time we got Pearl, I really don't think there was anyone better that would come to UT. We needed a promoter and an enthusiast as well as a good coach. I think he was the best possible candidate at the time.

At the time we got Pearl, I really don't think there was anyone better that would come to UT. We needed a promoter and an enthusiast as well as a good coach. I think he was the best possible candidate at the time.
and I think that's exactly right. He did things that very few could have done and he resurrected recruiting. I don't think anyone can reasonably argue the other side of that coin.

Probably a good bet - but now that Pearl has proven he can win here... and has since caused the University to upgrade and build better facilities... it really could open the door and cause interest for more coaches who may be even better if it were to come to him leaving for another job.

Have at it Wizards - as long as we don't go out and hire a moron.

if i were Bruce i would take the first nba offer that came calling so that when he has to sell his house its not because he is unemployed

Wow. I'm glad UT's become such a prestigious basketball school that we can be picky now. It's amazing how quickly Bruce got turned on.

Wow. I'm glad UT's become such a prestigious basketball school that we can be picky now. It's amazing how quickly Bruce got turned on.

I never turned on him and that's just stupid to even say that. Wow.

It's also stupid to think there wouldn't be an even better coach out there that we could land if he were to leave. That's ignorant.

Bruce is a good overall coach, not great.

what does that matter? relative merit amongst UT basketball coachless like virtue among thieves.

It matters in that there has to be some "coaching" involved in overseeing the most successful tenure ever at the program. While UT coaches past might not make up a Who's Who of college basketball, nobody we have ever been able to attract has achieved this level of success.

After watching a 6'4" guard hang half-a-hundred in TBA, I'm not going to pretend that Bruce's team might not have some deficiencies, but overall his recruiting and style and energy have lead to a remarkable resurrection of Tennessee basketball.

Coaching ain't just Xs and Os, and on the basis of where he has taken the program from where he entered it, I'm going to go ahead and mentally label him "Good Coach," with bonus points added because he has done it where quite a few others have failed.

thats how it goes.. have some of the best facilities.. seat the 2nd most fans in the nation so now that all of that has been exposed nationally im pretty sure Keno Davis would take this job

VN Store

Back