People need to understand that if Maurer was the better QB then our coaches would start him

I just hope we pile up points on Chattanooga early and give Mauer an opportunity to play at least a full quarter, maybe most of the 2nd half. Maybe give CJP something to think about after he’s seen him in a live situation.

Reactions: Pacer92
This is true for most positions, but not QB. QB is the position that has to make the most decisions before and during a play. QBs need to be confident and know when to be aggressive and when to play it safe. If a QB is worried he will be pulled for throwing an interception he’ll only throw to wide open receivers.

The problem with QBs is playing the back up early can mess with his confidence. The way to see what your back up can do is to put him in during a blowout for mop up duty. But this can cause issues too if he throws some good balls and some teammates start to push for him to be the starter, dividing the locker room.
Heaven forbid Tennessee QB should throw some good balls.o_O

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
This idea that coaches dont play the player that gives them the best chance to win is as ludicrous as that guys story about Ryan Johnson.

This is not a defense of CJP, but only Butch would be stupid enough to do that.
Not a defense of Butch but I think there was a time when Dobbs legit wasnt ready to be the starter. Butch was an idiot on several accounts though. Pruitt could be in a similar situation. Do you start Maurer and throw him into the deep end of the pool right away with Florida, Bama, Georgia coming up soon? Or let JG take those games and then work Maurer into the starter position? What effect does that have on Harrison Bailey if Maurer becomes starter?

Not a defense of Butch but I think there was a time when Dobbs legit wasnt ready to be the starter. Butch was an idiot on several accounts though. Pruitt could be in a similar situation. Do you start Maurer and throw him into the deep end of the pool right away with Florida, Bama, Georgia coming up soon? Or let JG take those games and then work Maurer into the starter position? What effect does that have on Harrison Bailey if Maurer becomes starter?

This was why you needed to play him against 3 early season cupcakes.
One opportunity left...

This idea that coaches dont play the player that gives them the best chance to win is as ludicrous as that guys story about Ryan Johnson.

It isn't as clear cut as that. Practice is often called the "best indicator" but it isn't always accurate... or always a "good" indicator of how someone will play. You also do not know how someone will react to game action until they get some. Lastly, the reason I would give for replacing JG isn't whether he's the "best" as we sit in this moment but rather has he topped out. He very much appears to have not gotten better over the last year. The OL is better. The RB's ran well. UT has talent at receiver. The D played well enough to win this past week.

It is a QB who does not and perhaps cannot catch up to the speed of the game and make the right decisions quickly/instinctively.

Two things were said during the BYU broadcast. One, he was "late". Plays that were there were not made because he just can't process and deliver the ball. Two, he overthinks. That's not a new problem and apparently one that isn't going away.

I suggest the relevant question is NOT who the best QB is right now but whether that "best QB" is and/or can play at a winning level. If the answer is no then the second question is whether either of the other two can get to that level. JG is a 4th year QB. He's had these same problems since the day he arrived apparently. He isn't likely to get better. So when is it time to see if you can bring someone else along?

It isn't as clear cut as that. Practice is often called the "best indicator" but it isn't always accurate... or always a "good" indicator of how someone will play. You also do not know how someone will react to game action until they get some. Lastly, the reason I would give for replacing JG isn't whether he's the "best" as we sit in this moment but rather has he topped out. He very much appears to have not gotten better over the last year. The OL is better. The RB's ran well. UT has talent at receiver. The D played well enough to win this past week.

It is a QB who does not and perhaps cannot catch up to the speed of the game and make the right decisions quickly/instinctively.

Two things were said during the BYU broadcast. One, he was "late". Plays that were there were not made because he just can't process and deliver the ball. Two, he overthinks. That's not a new problem and apparently one that isn't going away.

I suggest the relevant question is NOT who the best QB is right now but whether that "best QB" is and/or can play at a winning level. If the answer is no then the second question is whether either of the other two can get to that level. JG is a 4th year QB. He's had these same problems since the day he arrived apparently. He isn't likely to get better. So when is it time to see if you can bring someone else along?
Gave you a like although I still feel there is NO WAY possible that JG is better even at this point.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

You shut you're mouth right there mister! Shut yo mouth right there!

My coach IS as stupid as Butch Jones !!! Don't you short change my coach. You hug you momma with those typing hands??

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Royally sucks that our backups can't get in a game against piss-poor opponents due to our 1st stringers being incapable of padding a score.

I don't know who starts the rest of this year (probably what we have already witnessed), but I imagine the transfers will come quickly next year.

I think I seen that play. The kid is a play-maker, no doubt. He's one of the best I've seen rolling out of the pocket left or right and throwing accurately on the run. Not many qbs have that skill.
JG is not in HIGH SCHOOL anymore...………….

The concern is winning games at UT. Couldn't care less about the pros. I think Peterman is still holding a clipboard in Oakland last I saw. That may have changed too.

He is and Gruden himself remarked how great he looked in practice. The point originally was that some are practice gods, some are both, and some are just gamers. One of these backups may be a gamer, but we'll never know until JG goes down or leaves. I'm not saying they're better, but we rotate/bench every other position on the team, except his and him.

I think Peterman's problem was that he wasn't given meaningful snaps until he was thrown to the wolves. Eventually, he ended up being a pretty good QB, just not at UT. Butch was bad about that. The best a backup could do was get in during mop up (god I miss mop up,don't you?) and hand the ball off. To really see a player develop, at least open up his playbook during mop up. Take some shots, do something other than hand the ball off. Get the number 2 guy on the field SOME. Otherwise, when your starter blows his knee or chokes, the backup is deer in the headlights, and that was Peterman. That could have had a whole different outcome if he'd been gradually acclimated to the role of QB.
When this happens (youtube below), I think it could have been avoided. First "meaninful snap" and look what happens. Then the coaches can say, "See, I told you so, he's not ready".

It's absolutely true that it works that way, but people still talk about how crazy good he looked in practice, and how he looked lost on the field. The same thing happened in Buffalo, preseason named starter based on practice, benched after a couple of games then cut.

No, you can’t. I can guarantee you that you have no earthly idea about which player is better/has “twice the IQ” as compared to Chaney and Pruitt. You have literally no idea. I’ll roll with the career coaches who will make a combined $6.5mm over a random guy on a fan message board.
Ignorant statement.... you have NO IDEA of my football knowledge, evaluation skills or the alike. So your statement holds absolutely no more value than mine.

Season is over. We are going to get nad stomped by the sec foes. JG I am convinced has hit a maturation delay and will not progress further.
Yes playing one of the young guns will lead to losses. Honesty however so will playing JG.
We might as well be giving the next up QB’s some game experience and let them work out the kinks this year.
Next year they will be more formidable due to the opportunity

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Love it when people post judgments on a kids playing style they’ve never seen play. Typical.

You nor I either one knows if the other qb would be better, but to continue doing the same thing and losing is idiotic, I am just saying give them a shot and see what happens, we going to lose anyway with jg so what do we have to lose in trying someone else.

I think Pruitt is letting the season play out. Florida will remove JG from the starting line up. JG holds the ball so long he will be cannon fodder in the swamp... Then my friends, we will have a new quarterback....

And thrown into a game at the worst possible time, not fair to them to do that.

I think the play of JG has caught the coaches off guard CJP said what a great practice player JG I truly think they never seen this coming

They should have seen it coming, same way in orange and white game, especially in first half, and he even knew who would not be hit. So they should have seen it.

You nor I either one knows if the other qb would be better, but to continue doing the same thing and losing is idiotic, I am just saying give them a shot and see what happens, we going to lose anyway with jg so what do we have to lose in trying someone else.
I can’t say I can predict the future but from seeing BM play behind that terrible o line in person throughout his Hs career I’m 98% sure he’s not as bad as JG. Will he show it in his first game? Who knows? But give him time to get comfortable and UT football looks entirely different.

Nobody knows what he can do until given the chance. Not even the almighty Pruitt and company. However, we do know what we're gonna get from JG

Good coaches make changes when someone is not performing well. Spurrier pulled a heismen candidate when having a bad game. I know many people don't like Spurier but you can't deny he was a very good coach. Saban pulled Hurts, thats what good coaches do. Dabo benched his starter last year after 4 games and undefeated. Sometimes pulling a player makes them even perform better next time they get a chance.

Reactions: LittleVol and 1vol8
I just hope we pile up points on Chattanooga early and give Mauer an opportunity to play at least a full quarter, maybe most of the 2nd half. Maybe give CJP something to think about after he’s seen him in a live situation.

And if he will let him pass and not just hand off

Reactions: 1vol8
And if he will let him pass and not just hand off
The problem with that may be the length of his leash he’s allowed. BM has been known to throw an int before he throws 4/5 tds. In fact the game they were referring to in the spring game where he threw for 513 yards and ran for 195 or so started with a pick 6 against him. He ended the game with 6 scores.

It’s rare and has few occasions but known here in the past that some of our best players were awful when it came to practice and routine...former WR Tony Brown comes to my mind. But when the light came on Saturday, it was like a whole different person. Just like Dobbs early in his career at practice it was a struggle but preformed on the field better than that week in practice. I’m not saying Maurer is like Dobbs or even close to that but coaches base playing time off practice reps...so maybe Maurer is relative to those few guys at practice and then again maybe he just isn’t as far along as JG. Just a thought

VN Store

Back