People need to understand that if Maurer was the better QB then our coaches would start him

This idea that coaches dont play the player that gives them the best chance to win is as ludicrous as that guys story about Ryan Johnson.

This is not a defense of CJP, but only Butch would be stupid enough to do that.
Nobody knows what he can do until given the chance. Not even the almighty Pruitt and company. However, we do know what we're gonna get from JG

BM lost worse than we are losing in high school. But he will win here? If the qb is responsible for losses than BM shouldn't even be a consideration.

JG is way better than the other two guys. Even though he had a bad game.
JG is hands down the worst QB I’ve ever seen at TN. His W/L record is the only stat that matters and it’s abysmal. I didn’t think it was possible but JG manages to lack almost every single meaningful intangible at the position.

Despite coaching resources from 2 NC winning QBs and 1 Heisman winner in Weinke and Martin, tons of guidance from Manning, and the QB Whisperer Chaney as his fully-invested OC, JG just can’t see the field.

Maurer, like Nix at AUB, is a true Frosh. All we have to go on is his HS tape until he plays. Which he will do at some point if Pruitt values his job.

This idea that coaches dont play the player that gives them the best chance to win is as ludicrous as that guys story about Ryan Johnson.

This is true for most positions, but not QB. QB is the position that has to make the most decisions before and during a play. QBs need to be confident and know when to be aggressive and when to play it safe. If a QB is worried he will be pulled for throwing an interception he’ll only throw to wide open receivers.

The problem with QBs is playing the back up early can mess with his confidence. The way to see what your back up can do is to put him in during a blowout for mop up duty. But this can cause issues too if he throws some good balls and some teammates start to push for him to be the starter, dividing the locker room.

Team really needs a spark. I’d make a change, but what do I know. I’ll just say this, if josh Dobbs was the QB Tennessee would be undefeated to this point. Just an example that Tennessee needs a playmaker under center! JGs had plenty of chances.
Dobbs could have won those games w/out making a forward pass

JG is hands down the worst QB I’ve ever seen at TN. His W/L record is the only stat that matters and it’s abysmal. I didn’t think it was possible but JG manages to lack almost every single meaningful intangible at the position.

Despite coaching resources from 2 NC winning QBs and 1 Heisman winner in Weinke and Martin, tons of guidance from Manning, and the QB Whisperer Chaney as his fully-invested OC, JG just can’t see the field.

Maurer, like Nix at AUB, is a true Frosh. All we have to go on is his HS tape until he plays. Which he will do at some point if Pruitt values his job.

You can also throw in that against FBS competition in his 3 years here, JG has only managed to lead the offense over 24 points a whopping 3 times in which we are 1-2 in those games.

He truly is the best defense for our opponents.

BM lost worse than we are losing in high school. But he will win here? If the qb is responsible for losses than BM shouldn't even be a consideration.

Hey Mr. Guarantano I believe what you meant to say was "even though he had bad GAMES."

Reactions: Big Al Orange

I'll raise you with Worley and throw in Matt Simms.

The difference is BM elevated his team and the players around him. They went 2-8 as any team would with a defense that averaged 45 points a game given up. You have very little knowledge on BM so stop making a fool of yourself. When at ANY time has JG averaged 4 tds a game?

Right, that's why Erik Ainge had to split time with Brent Schaeffer when they were freshmen despite the former breaking Manning's record for most TD passes by a freshman. It's why Dobbs was riding the bench in favor of Justin Worley until the latter got hurt. It's why Tom Brady was riding the bench until Drew Bledsoe got hurt.

Sometimes coaches are just wrong.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
I'll raise you with Worley and throw in Matt Simms.
Those comparisons are like asking someone which S*** sandwich taste better? If I recall correctly, in Simms defense, he did split time with a FR named Tyler Bray who eventually became the starting QB regulating him to basically being the backup. Imagine that, an FR outperforming a JR?

Reactions: lifeisdeep

CJP just wants 3 scholarship QBs on the roster. He knows if he benches JG because he is terrible that the dude transfers ASAP. JG is cannon fodder, that is all.

if the other qbs can't beat this clown out then they need to transfer to a smaller college. they must be terrible.

He may not look better in practice, but we don't know how he'll look when it counts. Won't hurt to find out at this point.

He certainly didn't look better in the orange and white game. Unfortunately that is the only reference I have as that is all I have seen him play.

Reactions: k-town_king

You’re about to get blasted but you’re 100% right. If Maurer or Shrout we’re better in practice they’d be playing ahead of a struggling 3rd year qb. And before anybody starts talking about “gamers”, just stop. If you’re the head coach or OC, you’re not play a kid at the most important position on the field that has shown he’s no trustworthy in practice.

JG has regressed this year and hasn’t been good, at all, for a good part of both games. But he’s evidently the best option they’ve got right now, which is disappointing regarding both Maurer and Shrout.

There may be a time when Pruitt simply has no choice but to put one of those guys in and bench JG, but that time clearly isn’t right now, and it certainly ain’t gonna be the weeks we play Florida or Georgia.

Ok but JG basically is handing off the ball or throwing late into traffic.... literally anybody could do that...

I can tell you from watching our spring game that Maurer will make mistakes but has twice the football IQ that Gauratano has shown
No, you can’t. I can guarantee you that you have no earthly idea about which player is better/has “twice the IQ” as compared to Chaney and Pruitt. You have literally no idea. I’ll roll with the career coaches who will make a combined $6.5mm over a random guy on a fan message board.

my plan...JG starts and plays 1st qtr...BM plays the 2nd qtr...JTS plays the third...flip a coin for the 4th qtr...well, better than any plan I've seen yet...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1vol8
The difference is BM elevated his team and the players around him. They went 2-8 as any team would with a defense that averaged 45 points a game given up. You have very little knowledge on BM so stop making a fool of yourself. When at ANY time has JG averaged 4 tds a game?
After the first game you said it wasn't stats but wins and losses. You also said the qb was responsible for the loss no matter what. We gave up 38 to a team with much less talent than we have and lost but you blamed JG.

Same thing.

Either it's about the qbs play or the team wins. Can't make it switch to fit your agenda of the day.

JG couldn't start at Furman where they hung 42 points on GA State the week after UT lost to GA State. Maybe they need to get the Furman QB to transfer here. JG basically could only muster 6 points in the second half until GA State laid down for the last few seconds of the game. JG could only muster 6 points against BYU in the second half.

After the first game you said it wasn't stats but wins and losses. You also said the qb was responsible for the loss no matter what. We gave up 38 to a team with much less talent than we have and lost but you blamed JG.

Same thing.

Either it's about the qbs play or the team wins. Can't make it switch to fit your agenda of the day.
I did say that JG was responsible for that loss. But never did I say that it was ALL on him. You may have interpreted it that way because JG was clearly the topic of discussion. But that was a team loss that could’ve been avoided with better qb play. Better?

However.... I would never say a qb or a coach is responsible for every win or loss because I don’t believe in a TEAM record only following a qb and HC throughout their careers. But that’s the way it is. I actually don’t even put near as much stock in stats as you do unless warranted. For example.... BM being underrated as a 3* by the services while putting up competitive numbers as the nations best 5* is comical. Especially when the team he played on was so terrible at every other position. So I’ll resort to HIS stats where I wouldn’t with HB. Why? HB plays for a nationally ranked TEAM. His numbers are likely cut in half without the talents of Arik Gilbert and Ramel Keyton to help him. To add to that his teams passing game wouldn’t be as effective without a strong running game and above average o line. Long story short put HB in BMs situation and no one even knows his name. But put BM in HBs situation with his skill set and he’s possibly known as a generational talent and compared to the likes of Lawrence and Fields.

So I think you may have confused me with the hundreds maybe thousands of other people that have and did say it’s all about wins/losses. If it was me it would make no sense to be a Maurer supporter.

I can see it in his high-light vids, elite 11 and the orange and white game. He carries poise and maturity. I can't point my finger on it, but somethin tells me he's gonna be good. My opinions aren't worth salt, but just wish Pruitt would enlighten us fans curiosity and let him start a game.
Shoot, he doesn't even need to start a game.

Just let him in at some point.

It's absolutely ridiculous...

Reactions: Proud Army Wife

VN Store

Back