Our Recruiting Surge

I agree with norrislakevol, Stars are Not the only thing that matters, but talent is certainly very important. Who are the best Vols in the past? Manning, J Lewis, Meacham...they were all highly ranked HS prospects. Just like Eric Berry and Morely were. Don't get me wrong, we've also had some great lower ranked prospects. Foster and Anthony Parker were both 3* 5.5 players. My point, you can't win or be a great player without talent AND character. Those are the guys we need. I think Stokes is a great example of that. Now we just need to get some more!

Words of VH wisdom concerning Berry's recruitment and the 2007 recruiting class:'

IMO Berry is a lock for UGA. He is probably looking at how weak the Dawgs running game has been this year (Lumpkin is avg. around 56 ypg) and the fact that they do not have any commit from an RB for the 2007 class. UT on the other hand has some good RBs on campus and 4 commits from RBs in the 2007 class already. The opportunity to play would probably come sooner at UGA. Add UGA's in-state recruiting prowess and IMO Berry is a pipe dream for the Vols.

You are probably correct but the Vols still won't get him, not from Georgia. If you think back to the big time recruits (meaning 5* rated prospects) that UT has landed in this decade, the Vols have not been super competitive in the south (see below). It's going to take more than one good season to turn the kids from up north and out west back towards the Vols. I think this year's class will be rated higher than last year's but it probably will not be a top 10 rated class.

Concerning Berry and Donald, these gems:

I predict ZERO. Being realistic is not being negative.

In the end Garner will keep Berry at home. Donald is as good as gone, he just doesn't want to get heckled by pro-UT, anti-ND rednecks for his last few HS games.

The interesting part was that you argued with HVWarrior not because you had better info but because you assume the worst is a lock.

Always being negative isn't being realistic.

Thank you for jousting with a good humor.

I'll check you later.

In the meantime, can you try to find something positive to post... especially if it is a speculation about something good in the future?

Do we really need him? He's played against lesser talent instate the same Chris Donald did. He won't be an instant impact player. He'll be more like Meachem. Not gonna do anything till his soph year.

Not every prospect is going to make instant impacts. He'll have to adjust, but if he is as talented as he's made out to be, he'll eventually be a great player.

Not every prospect is going to make instant impacts. He'll have to adjust, but if he is as talented as he's made out to be, he'll eventually be a great player.

Key word. Seriously, what kind of talent does he play against and what kind of talent did Donald play against. I'm sure the kid is talented and I believe Donald is as well, but the learning curve from lower division HS football to SEC football is a bit steep. Donald has proved this. Hopefully he breaks out this season.

:crazy: Yes. The 5* top in-state prospect is more of a project guy who really needs to redshirt and maybe then serve on special teams a couple of years before he contribute, but the unrated out-of-staters who nobody has ever heard of are the nucleus of UTK's next BCS championship squad. I don't like being down about anyone who comits to play for the orange but some of you are making it awfully difficult with your idiocy.

If you think about it, Antonio Gaines was the only player on the team that started and was below 3 stars. Him and Ryan Karl.

I think we get Brown, but I agree that he may need a year to develope. He is in better shape than most to contribute early with his great size and good speed though. The instant impact guys are Ruben Randle and Logan Heastie as far as WR's are concerned IMO.

:crazy: Yes. The 5* top in-state prospect is more of a project guy who really needs to redshirt and maybe then serve on special teams a couple of years before he contribute, but the unrated out-of-staters who nobody has ever heard of are the nucleus of UTK's next BCS championship squad. I don't like being down about anyone who comits to play for the orange but some of you are making it awfully difficult with your idiocy.

Donald so far has been more of a project than Frazier, Dorian Davis before his dismissal, and quite likely Thompson who were respectively 3*,2*, 3*. Those are just LB's in the last two classes. If you include all positions these players can be added: Rogan, Moore, Hancock, Stocker, and Cooper.

VN Store

Back