Our Recruiting Surge

Yeah. How well UT is actually keeping up is dependent on who is right. Guys who put out rankings that are sometimes way off but never really pay any real consequences for their errors.... Or guys whose jobs hang in the balance if they sign guys who they can't turn into a winning football team.

Either could be right but it is sort of like the level of commitment the chicken and the pig have in your breakfast....

I've heard his issues are not physical but mental -- he's struggling with the playbook and the complexity of the college game. Any idea if that is true?

I had extremely high hopes for he and Martin.

It's a little early to be giving up on Martin and Donald.

Whew! gettin into a good debate here. Heres my 10cents worth. As simple as it may sound or be, the best qb or rb in the nation cant do diddly squat without a line infront of them. I dont think its a selling point but can be now. We have built a good line this week it looks like. So If we need Nunes or anyone else for a playmaker position we can at least say we got a line to protect you. Im glad we got the line filled in for the most part. If clawsons strong and fast side line concept some of you might be overlooking how important these guys will be to us. A line is the base of the offense. Duh! thats all common sense but needed to be said. I think 3 star lineman are super. they are harder to evaluate i agree.

We have a good balance of people coming on the roster to give confidence to other recruits. It may be a good selling point for us. Every kid wants to win a NC and that cant be done with a scrub team. Some school like candy can have one playmaker but he cant do but so much so with the class we have signed it may give us an advantage. We dont have a 4 or 5 star average of recruits but thats even better cause the playmakers can see time for them to play. They want to win and want to play. I think our door is right open for the best yet to come. After we stab florida, toast georgia and swat bama down maybe we will reopen some eyes again!

Volman09 said:
For those of you that think stars don't matter, you are dead wrong. I would reccomend you read this article. It is a lengthy read, but well worth your time. It goes in detail exactly how much stars matter...

It went into detail, but it's useless detail that uses skewed statistics to support his article.

Yes, in '08, there was a correlation to star ranking and draft picks. But, the writer only wrote about the first 3 RD's (99 players). The Draft has 7 RD's (252 players). A player can be a great college player and be selected past the 3rd RD. D.J. Hall and Jonathan Hefney went undrafted, yet were very productive collegiate players.

Besides, the scouting services didn't even get 50% of their 5* recruits correctly in compliance with draft position. Out of only 30 players, they only get 12 of their best ranked players to go in the first 3 RD's? That's terribly inaccurate for such a small sample space.

The only thing those percentages did was compare the sample spaces of the 5*'s compared to the 4* and 3*'s. Take this: Even if the recruiting services only get 1 of their 5* recruits correctly in compliance with draft position, then that means that a 5* player has a 4% chance of getting drafted. Thats a better percentage than the 29 drafted 3*'s got, which was 3.6%. Thats only 1 player out of 99!

Anyone who has taken high school level statistics knows that you can take any data and skew it so that it supports your argument, especially when you yourself have done the calculations and presented them. Yes, this guy is telling the truth, but it's out of context.

Besides, this is talking about the chances of a player being drafted early. That's great for bragging rights, but doesn't correlate to the field. Common sense tells us that the higher the player is drafted, then the team he came from benefited more from his play than other players. But, as I mentioned before with Hefney and Hall, good players go undrafted regularly. Hefney had 96 tackles, 6 pass breakups, and 1 INT. Kenny Phillips, a 1st RD pick, had 82 tackles, 5 pass breakups, and 2 INT's. Hefney had better production than Phillips, yet went undrafted while Phillips went in the 1st RD.

The only thing star rankings do is give a player a head start on national recognition. Julio Jones and Da'Quan Bowers are already on people's radars, as opposed to the countless other players who must now make their names through their collegiate performance as opposed to high school performance.

You have some problems dude.

Why don't you stop being blind, he has a valid point. What are you trying to prove? "Wow, we recruit the same level of talent as NC State or Kentucky!"

I will agree with that star rankings don't always live up to the hype they deserve but to think that low ranking players are the best JUST because they have more heart is just dumb.

Why don't you stop being blind, he has a valid point. What are you trying to prove? "Wow, we recruit the same level of talent as NC State or Kentucky!"

I will agree with that star rankings don't always live up to the hype they deserve but to think that low ranking players are the best JUST because they have more heart is just dumb.

Finally someone on my side.

what the hell are you talking about. I didn't say anything about the stars and heart stuff okay so get off my back! All i said was that if HB is happy then everyone should be happy.

3*s are fine, but we need to get some high profile guys. You can tell when a kid is a flat out playmaker. We need a few more of those type of guys who we can be sure are going to be good. 3*s are fine but i'm not just gonna be happy with "this guy COULD turn out to be really good"

Chill guys, please. We are still the University of Tennessee.

We are a top ten ALL-TIME program.

We are always going to put a competitive team on the field, and we will land our fair share of 5/4* prospects.

Chill guys, please. We are still the University of Tennessee.

We are a top ten ALL-TIME program.

We are always going to put a competitive team on the field, and we will land our fair share of 5/4* prospects.

How does it feel to be so optimistic?

You can tell when a kid is a flat out playmaker.

Sometimes you can. Sometimes... you can't.

You can usually tell when a guy has speed and other measurables but HS competition rarely proves a guy will be a CFB playmaker for certain. That's why you'll generally see more stars hung on kids that compete against top HS competition in CA, TX, FL, GA, etc when they may have no more talent than a TN kid.

Also, you can almost NEVER know with any certain whether an OL or DT will be a playmaker. You can measure alot of things. You can try to determine their mindset, energy, aggression, and things like that... but those guys almost never play competition that can challenge them.

Stars are so overrated......i rather get a good kid that works hard and keeps his head on straight......talent isnt everything...team chemistry means a whole lot and you can only get that by getting hard working good kids

RYAN KARL!!!
Very good player ...worked hard, played hard.

I think that there is some middle ground here.

First of all, if you end up with around a 3 star or above average for your recruiting ranking you will probably field a competive team. Tennessee does this year in and year out.

Second, the difference in Tennessee and Vandy, Kentucky, Miss State, and Ole Miss, is that the average recruit for Tennessee is just better. If you look at the classes for these teams (particularly Vandy, Kentucky, and Miss State) you will see a few three stars, perhaps some four stars in the case of Ole Miss. The rest of the roster will be littered with two-star players and some one-star players. This is when you are in trouble. It is no suprise to me that many of the great players on these teams are the three star players that they sign such as Earl Bennet.

Tennessee's classes are much better in the end. They tend to have a couple of five-stars, seven or eight four-stars, then the rest of the roster will be littered with three-star players with perhaps a couple of two star players thrown in. That is a huge difference in terms of talent.

Tennessee is already off to a great start. perhaps one guy so far might be a two-star. Thigpen, and Stokes are four-stars, Giles is a four-star on Scout, and will probably be a four-star on Rivals as well, and the rest will be three stars. So whats the problem? We are doing far better that the bottom feeders on this league and will likely finnished ranked in the top 15 in the country IMO. Fulmer will tighten down on lower ranked commits as we get closer to signing day.

Hall was given 2* coming out of HS by Rivals. I would be surprised if he gets higher than 3*. They don't like to admit they're wrong any more than most people here.

VN Store

Back