Our Recruiting Surge

You can't honestly say that we are keeping up with Georgia and Florida recruiting wise

Last year's SEC All Conference 1st team OL consisted of:

1 former 5*
2 former 4*
2 former 3*
and 2 former 2*

OL and DT are the most difficult positions for the recruiting svcs to evaluate.

as we have a local 3* in Jackson on hold and have pissed off Hood w/ no offer.
I'd say Schofield is a badass and Phillips has been talked about by Vol fans for months. He can play!
Watch out for Nunes soon. You know he is watching all the events on the Hill. I also think Drayton is hot on the trail of a WR in Miami.

The guy that said he would like to see us have an average of four stars is delusional. That's out of this world good. I don't know if that's ever been done.

And you need to consider that these big OL are being scouted by our coaches who have done a hell of a job developing OL. And OL don't get much love in terms of stars by sites like rivals and scout. Just too hard to predict.

The guy that said he would like to see us have an average of four stars is delusional. That's out of this world good. I don't know if that's ever been done.

And you need to consider that these big OL are being scouted by our coaches who have done a hell of a job developing OL. And OL don't get much love in terms of stars by sites like rivals and scout. Just too hard to predict.

yes they do

USC did it in 04' and 07'. They also are really close to a 4 star average just about every year. 3.95 average in 05' and 3.96 average in 06'. They are soon to be on probation though so I'm sure that will all change very soon.

USC did it in 04' and 07'. They also are really close to a 4 star average just about every year. 3.95 average in 05' and 3.96 average in 06'. They are soon to be on probation though so I'm sure that will all change very soon.

Yeah, and we are no USC.

Not to state the obvious... but all those great recruits haven't led to the national dominance one might expect.

The recruiting svcs do give about the same % of 4/5* for OL's... they just seem good ones alot more often.

Not to state the obvious... but all those great recruits haven't led to the national dominance one might expect.

The recruiting svcs do give about the same % of 4/5* for OL's... they just seem good ones alot more often.

In Rivals top 100, there are 12 OL. That makes up 12%. Yet, OL take 5 of the 22 total positions, making about 23% of a team.

Who gives a crap about star rankings. Just look at who else is recruiting a certain player. I feel good when we get a guy that has offers from teams like the florida's,georgia's,usc. When we steal a guy from the grasps of duke and kentucky is when i don't get to excited.

First of all USC and Ohio St. don't play in the SEC week in and week out. All the guys we've gotten on the OL have been to camp and then offered. Right now, I'm really high on Greg Adkins. I mean we have 6 bona fide NFL prospects starting on our OL in 2008 (IMO). Also they have set records for fewest QB sacks allowed and paved the way for Foster to have over 1000 yds. rushing last year. I think UT is doing pretty well at recruiting and building depth on the OL. Other than Aaron Sears (who was coached by Adkins) and Scott Wells (who was 7th Rd. pick) nobody has been drafted off of the OL since '01. Adkins has remedied that.

Don't get me wrong, but it seems like during this surge of recruiting we are having we are wasting schollys on 3 star linemen when a school as prestigous as Tennessee should be going after 4 stars and our first 5 star. While schools like Georgia our grabbing 4 and 5 star playmakers, I just feel we are content grabbing unranked linemen and such. Not being a pessimest, but I want to see us start grabbing some big time guys like Marlon Brown, Josh Nunes, etc; Just seeing if I am getting greedy or if anyone feels this way as well. GO VOLS.

Big time guys don't usually commit this early especially to UT. I realize that this hasn't been the case this year for some programs. There isn't a whole lot of difference between 3 and 4 star recruits. I feel that we also get a lot of underrated regional players that have been overlooked and end up as 3 stars. Oliver is huge and I read yesterday where he said that he can play DT or OT which makes him a valuable pick to me. He would make a great nose tackle if he continues to get stronger.
If we stomp UGA in Athens or Alabama in Neyland then maybe we can convert some of their commits. We'll see.

Tennessee just isn't a 5* caliber program. You guys need to go pull for USC. This is why you don't have a job in football. Because you are so nieve to the whole process and what it takes to win.

Midfielder don't hurl insults at us. We're objective,sometimes right and sometimes wrong. Sure, do we all want 25 5* players signed on signing day like USC. Absolutely we do. But, only if they can play and if they can contribute. Out of the Top 100 players signed every year 25 or so don't qualify, another 20 or so bust and then another 20 or so are good players but not NFL types. Maybe 20 off of those Top 100 lists end up in the NFL if that many. Now, your top 250 List is probably more accurate.Right now I think most of us think that Tennessee is a Top 15 program and if things go well this year maybe a Top 10 program. But, I don't think there are illusions of grandeur....

VN Store

Back