Our Assistant Coaches blasted on TOS

Threads about how disappointing our “supposed elite recruiters” have been.
Everyone but Niedermeyer getting criticized.
Saying that many came from big successful programs that had strong in state bases and were easy to recruit to. Some saying Pruitt is really pissed off right now.
Do they have a point or is the latest decommit just bringing out the usual negavols.
Lies.....recruits have been quoted as saying Pruitt told them to watch the progress this year. Stop spreading rumors.

I think this post is dead-on accurate and I’ve read it twice and can’t disagree with any of it.

I’ll just add that UT may be a very tough place to have your first head coaching job. I think Pruitt’s trajectory is very similar to Kirby Smart’s. Great, proven D-coordinator, his first head coaching job was at Georgia...

It will be interesting to see if Pruitt follows a similar path, or does better, or worse, than Smart.

FYP for you.

Reactions: feathersax
What were we this time last year? Something like the mid 20s?

Florida was in the 30s, maybe even the 40s, this time last year. There was outright glee in the Around the NCAA forum about it. They closed 9th.

Exactly.

UT isnt #33 with 20 commits either.
Average player ranking probably has them closer to 20 than 30. If you re jumping up and down over the rankings in July.

Pruitt finds 7 or more wins this year and they ll close out the remaining 10+ spots pretty well.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Not all recruits are into “helped us turn the program around labels”. Getting us above .500 isn’t that exciting. Just saying. Better coach em up like Kentucky did and that 9/10 wins will solve the problem.

Exactly. We rode the legacy of our past for a long time in recruiting and most people have probably decided they want to see us do something before betting their future on us. There's nothing wrong with our staff's recruiting capabilites . We just have to put our money where our mouth is and show we can win against slightly higher, equal and less talented teams with what we have. Once that happens, most the big fish will say , " OK , yeh they got something going on there" .

Saying that many came from big successful programs that had strong in state bases and were easy to recruit to. Some saying Pruitt is really pissed off right now.
Do they have a point or is the latest decommit just bringing out the usual negavols.
recruits want to see this years results before hard committing. even if UT has 20+ verbals going into the season, they are bound to decommit based on how teams compete and finish the year. if UT finishes 5-7 and loses multiple games by 20+, a majority of the current verbal commits will go to other schools. also, kids are starting to see that playing in conferences other than the SEC has its advantages...........Clemson recruits know they will compete in 3-4 ACC title games and at least 2 playoffs in a 4 year period. it makes more sense to some recruits to go to a Washington or Oklahoma over an SEC team because the easier route to the playoffs. Tennessee has to show some progress this season for any recruit to stay committed, regardless of which coach is recruiting them.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Good points. Although I could see 8-4 if quite a few things go perfectly. I personally see 7-5 this year and to me thats real progress. I really dont see how you can think UF and UGA will be competitive. They both spanked us last year. A big problem with this fan base is many have their heads permanently stuck in the 90's and early 2000's. Where TN was a consistent top 10-15 team that considered an 8 win year as a down year. That TN is still a team that can just re ruit itself on name and tradition alone. Thats just not the case.

This year we should see some improvement but honestly its not going to be as major as some want. I do believe in 2020 is when we will see the big jump.
I was talking to a friend earlier and he’s friends with someone that is involved in the Georgia program. My friend told me that UGA person said that the UGA staff thought that Pruitt should’ve been SEC coach of the year had he made a Bowl game with our roster last year. He said that a certain person who played a ton on our O-line last year was possibly the worst college football player he has seen on film and that our roster was just not SEC-caliber overall. He said their plan of attack against us last year was to run straight at that person he referenced over and over because they knew he couldn’t handle it. When you look at the rosters between us and Bama, UGA, and Florida, we are a long ways from being competitive with those teams. Even if you look at Missouri compared to us it doesn’t look good. Granted this is one source but Athlon has MO with 4 position groups rated in the top 25 in the country while we have 1 that barely qualified. You can throw recruiting rankings out the window under Butch because those guys are either gone, turned out to be busts, and/or simply haven’t been developed. Now I do expect some of those guys to improve having gone through an entire calendar year of workouts under Pruitt now and of course we did recruit some good talent but our weakest spots are still the lines and that’s where you have to be strong to have a chance at competing in the SEC. This just isn’t a situation that flips overnight and we didn’t get in this situation overnight. Yes other coaches had a lot of success in year 2 or 3 but most didn’t have as far to go against as daunting a schedule as we have year in and year out. Is there an example that did it? Maybe. Possibly even 2 or 3. That’s in the entire history of college football. Let’s get a dose of reality that this will take some time and enjoy the ride. The fact is by this time in both Dooley’s and Jones’s tenures there were some very troubling signs with completely boneheaded decisions on the field. We haven’t seen that yet so let’s give Pruitt some time to at least get 2 more classes under his belt and then we will see what we have. Now granted if the wheels totally come off and we are playing stupid, undisciplined football that results in something like 3-9 or 4-8 then maybe we don’t have the guy. But going 6-6 or 7-5 when it seems we got the most out of what we had is certainly no reason to panic even though none of us are satisfied with that result on a long term basis.

You’ve got an elite recruiting staff that has little to sell right now. Kids want to win, and be developed for the next level. Our competition has been using our recent struggles on field and in the draft against us. Only way to fix things is to win.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
Maybe I'm a softie, but given that Pruitt is a first time head coach taking over a program after an embarrassing coaching search that went 4-8 (0-8) the previous season and hasn't finished in the top 15 since 2007, the #12 class overall isn't that bad. These kids he's trying to convince to come to Tennessee have never personally seen a Tennessee program that was relevant. The 2019 class was still 7th in the SEC, but it would have been 2nd in the ACC, 3rd in the Big 12, 2nd in the Big Ten, and 2nd in the Pac 12. It was in the same ballpark as Florida and Clemson, was basically equivalent to Auburn (0.01 points less than Auburn's composite score), and was better than Penn St, Ohio St, and Notre Dame (who was coming off a CFP appearance). All things considered, it wasn't bad at all. Does it need to be even better eventually? Probably.

Personally, I think overperformance on the field needs to come first, then that leads to better recruiting, then that leads to even more winning. That's how Dabo did it at Clemson, which is probably the most relevant comparison I can think of. Clemson did not start recruiting at a consistently elite level until Dabo started appearing in CFPs - just look at the 247 Composite, and he still doesn't pull classes rated as highly as Alabama's, Georgia's, or LSU's.
The problem with that comparison is Clemson made that climb in the ACC, not the SEC. in 2012, 2013, and 2014 combined they played 8 total ranked teams in the regular season and actually lost 7 of those 8 games. Now they did go 3-0 in their bowl games those 3 years including 2 over ranked teams but those 3 years before their first playoff appearance were built much more on wins over mediocre to bad opponents. We play 5-6 ranked teams year in and year out including 3 or more games against top 10 teams. Plus, like you said, Clemson really hasn’t recruited quite at the Bama level this entire time. Look at the class rankings from 2013-2018. None are better than 7th on 247 sports and most aren’t even top 10. Clemson does a great job with player development, plays in a weaker conference, and does something to create synergy. Our climb will be more difficult than theirs but they are proof you don’t have to have top 5 classes to get it done.

You’ve got an elite recruiting staff that has little to sell right now. Kids want to win, and be developed for the next level. Our competition has been using our recent struggles on field and in the draft against us. Only way to fix things is to win.
That's pretty much spot-on, IMO.

As hard as it may be to justify at the moment, I think we should push forward with facility upgrades/renovations, as well..

I was talking to a friend earlier and he’s friends with someone that is involved in the Georgia program. My friend told me that UGA person said that the UGA staff thought that Pruitt should’ve been SEC coach of the year had he made a Bowl game with our roster last year. He said that a certain person who played a ton on our O-line last year was possibly the worst college football player he has seen on film and that our roster was just not SEC-caliber overall. He said their plan of attack against us last year was to run straight at that person he referenced over and over because they knew he couldn’t handle it. When you look at the rosters between us and Bama, UGA, and Florida, we are a long ways from being competitive with those teams. Even if you look at Missouri compared to us it doesn’t look good. Granted this is one source but Athlon has MO with 4 position groups rated in the top 25 in the country while we have 1 that barely qualified. You can throw recruiting rankings out the window under Butch because those guys are either gone, turned out to be busts, and/or simply haven’t been developed. Now I do expect some of those guys to improve having gone through an entire calendar year of workouts under Pruitt now and of course we did recruit some good talent but our weakest spots are still the lines and that’s where you have to be strong to have a chance at competing in the SEC. This just isn’t a situation that flips overnight and we didn’t get in this situation overnight. Yes other coaches had a lot of success in year 2 or 3 but most didn’t have as far to go against as daunting a schedule as we have year in and year out. Is there an example that did it? Maybe. Possibly even 2 or 3. That’s in the entire history of college football. Let’s get a dose of reality that this will take some time and enjoy the ride. The fact is by this time in both Dooley’s and Jones’s tenures there were some very troubling signs with completely boneheaded decisions on the field. We haven’t seen that yet so let’s give Pruitt some time to at least get 2 more classes under his belt and then we will see what we have. Now granted if the wheels totally come off and we are playing stupid, undisciplined football that results in something like 3-9 or 4-8 then maybe we don’t have the guy. But going 6-6 or 7-5 when it seems we got the most out of what we had is certainly no reason to panic even though none of us are satisfied with that result on a long term basis.

That player he is referencing has to be Drew Richmond...Never improved in the 4 years that he was here and there's no explanation for that lack of improvement. Also speaks to the backups when they could not beat him out of that position. Now the thing that really has me perplexed is what did USC see in him to sign him off the portal...

That's pretty much spot-on, IMO.

As hard as it may be to justify at the moment, I think we should push forward with facility upgrades/renovations, as well..
I know no one is going to credit the staff for finishing in the top two or three on these elite kids but they’re in the final group on a lot of kids with Bama, Clemson, Georgia, etc. We’re always going to be the bridesmaid until we prove we can win. Pruitt has all the pieces in place he just has to win and win soon.

Reactions: TC 83
Win or die. It's that simple. We've been rebuilding for well over a decade and have nothing to show for it in the wins column. We have become a punch line every since Kiffin left. We've punched a o e our weight in recruiting for years. You can only defy gravity for so long. We need wins. Pure and simple.
I agree. I’m not commenting on Pruitt because he deserves his shot. I do however find it strange that all these posters who were preaching patience 10 years ago are still preaching it today. Do they not realize 10 years of patience has actually gotten us in worse shape than we were 10 years ago? I mean at what point do you start changing your attitude on strategy just simply to try something else since what you’ve been trying for a decade hasn’t worked? Again this isn’t about Pruitt to me at this point I just think that to much patience in today’s college football landscape is actually detrimental to a program. Give a guy a couple of years to show you if he’s got it or not but then move on if it isn’t clearly there. I hope Pruitt ends up being the dude because I’m tired of my team sucking but somehow even if he isn’t the guy 3 years from now I feel like there will be a ton on here defending him to the bitter end until the next guy comes along, then they will blame all the new coaches problems on Pruitt and around and round we go.

You're giving me a run for my money as a wordsmith, but I agree with you.

Get thru year four and see what we got.

Reactions: hUTch2002
Five out of the last 7 for Vandy and the last 3 have been blowouts. If you're judging the respsective programs by head to head play on the field I can't see how we're better. We still make more money than Vandy does and we have a much better football history overall, but in this world of what have you done lately, Vandy is just better.

2018/11/24 Tennessee 13 - Vanderbilt 38 L
2017/11/25 Tennessee 24 - Vanderbilt 42 L
2016/11/26 Tennessee 34 - Vanderbilt 45 L
2015/11/28 Tennessee 53 - Vanderbilt 28 W
2014/11/29 Tennessee 24 - Vanderbilt 17 W
2013/11/23 Tennessee 10 - Vanderbilt 14 L
2012/11/17 Tennessee 18 - Vanderbilt 41 L

Disgraceful. Some folks need to to give back UT all of their earnings if they were on the payroll as an administrator or coach during those loses. This is a criminal offense and nothing short of stealing from our University.

Reactions: 08Vol
I agree. I’m not commenting on Pruitt because he deserves his shot. I do however find it strange that all these posters who were preaching patience 10 years ago are still preaching it today. Do they not realize 10 years of patience has actually gotten us in worse shape than we were 10 years ago? I mean at what point do you start changing your attitude on strategy just simply to try something else since what you’ve been trying for a decade hasn’t worked? Again this isn’t about Pruitt to me at this point I just think that to much patience in today’s college football landscape is actually detrimental to a program. Give a guy a couple of years to show you if he’s got it or not but then move on if it isn’t clearly there. I hope Pruitt ends up being the dude because I’m tired of my team sucking but somehow even if he isn’t the guy 3 years from now I feel like there will be a ton on here defending him to the bitter end until the next guy comes along, then they will blame all the new coaches problems on Pruitt and around and round we go.

There were some defending Butch to the bitter end because he was UT's coach and it was their duty to defend him. I was really told that by a long tine poster.

And this is why UT is in this predicament. The vast majority of vn will spend money regardless whatever garbage product they put on the field and the administration knows this.

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back