Our Assistant Coaches blasted on TOS

while Clemson has certainly proved that to be true. they did it in the ACC. now, today, they're recruiting obviously at a national level like Bama, if not a little better than bama presently, but either way, that program right now could compete for and win most any other conf championship, SEC included. just like Bama and GA.....

but the climb Clemson had, was much easier. you could compete at a conf title level in the ACC, recruiting at a top 10/15 level....

i take nothing away from them. the results are what they are. but during that climb, there was really only one hurdle, FSU. once they cleared that, they ran off and left the rest of that conference.

The SEC East hasn’t been a meat grinder for much of our down period. Clemson would have ran roughshod through until the SEC Championship.

while Clemson has certainly proved that to be true. they did it in the ACC. now, today, they're recruiting obviously at a national level like Bama, if not a little better than bama presently, but either way, that program right now could compete for and win most any other conf championship, SEC included. just like Bama and GA.....

but the climb Clemson had, was much easier. you could compete at a conf title level in the ACC, recruiting at a top 10/15 level....

i take nothing away from them. the results are what they are. but during that climb, there was really only one hurdle, FSU. once they cleared that, they ran off and left the rest of that conference.
I made that same point about Clemson earlier as well but that team that steamrolled Bama wasn’t made up of any top 5 classes. The rankings are more about the number of players than the quality and I know you know that but a lot of people seem to just go by the recruiting rankings when assessing roster talent. A class ranking from 3 or 4 years ago means jack squat today due to attrition, player development, and other factors.

Reactions: Woke
The SEC East hasn’t been a meat grinder for much of our down period. Clemson would have ran roughshod through until the SEC Championship.
i don't really disagree with that.

i just think that having to play GA/FL and two west teams, and Bama in a title game presents more of a challenge than what they have faced in the ACC.

the top of the SEC is a lot stronger than the top of the ACC, Clemson not withstanding.

i mean they played Pitt last year in the ACC title game lol.

they'd win 10/year in the SEC today. they may not win the conf and make the playoffs and win/play for multiple national titles if htey played in the SEC....that's all i'm getting at.

Reactions: Behr
i don't really disagree with that.

i just think that having to play GA/FL and two west teams, and Bama in a title game presents more of a challenge than what they have faced in the ACC.

the top of the SEC is a lot stronger than the top of the ACC, Clemson not withstanding.

i mean they played Pitt last year in the ACC title game lol.

they'd win 10/year in the SEC today. they may not win the conf and make the playoffs and win/play for multiple national titles if htey played in the SEC....that's all i'm getting at.
Exactly. Clemson who?

Clemson had 2 top 10 classes in the 6 years from 2013-2018 and none higher than 7th. You don’t have to be top 5 or even top 10 to win big because there generally isn’t much separation in those rankings.

You don’t have to, but the vast majority of BCS and Playoff Champions have averaged top 10 recruiting. I think there have only been 3 teams over that span that have won without top 10 recruiting. If you’re not averaging top 10 you must have an all star game changer at QB. The 3 teams that won without top 10 had Young at Texas, Newton at Auburn, and Watson at Clemson.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
No none of that had anything to do with it.

Everyone wants to win as fast as possible.

It's the"as possible" that's up for debate.

My belief is there is a set limit, 3 years, where if you aren’t wining big by that point then you never will. Since the start of the SEC championship, the only coach that has won it that didn’t make it there by their 3rd year, is our AD.

My belief is there is a set limit, 3 years, where if you aren’t wining big by that point then you never will. Since the start of the SEC championship, the only coach that has won it that didn’t make it there by their 3rd year, is our AD.
i think that's a very simplistic way of looking at it, given the difference in situations for most of the programs you'd refer to, and what our situation was/has been leading up to where we are now.

that doesnt mean that there shouldn't be a sense of urgency. there absolutely should be. there is a clock and it's always ticking. and at some point between now and the next two years, there might be a window open for us to get thru. would be best if we took advantage.

i'm just not ready to say "if by year 3, x hasn't happened, time to start over, again".

there'll be signs, good or bad, we'll all be able to SEE, as to what the direction is, and will be going forward.

a lot of what i'm seeing right now is putting the cart waaaaay before the horse, seeing as how we haven't even started season 2.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
You're giving me a run for my money as a wordsmith, but I agree with you.

Get thru year four and see what we got.

Would be nice if we could wait until after year 4 to judge him. Fact is his agent will push for a contract extension and a raise after year 3 at the latest. Butch got his raise and extension after his 2nd year. Agents argue that a coach always needs to have at least 4 years remaining on the contract so recruits know the coach will be at the school for their entire career. Pruitt signed a 6 year deal. If we don’t extend him after this year the rumor mill will start of other teams wanting to hire him away. That just happened in basketball and the result is Fulmer is paying a Sweet 16 coach top 5 money. Expect Fulmer to overpay Pruitt in December if he shows any glimmers of success this year.

Would be nice if we could wait until after year 4 to judge him. Fact is his agent will push for a contract extension and a raise after year 3 at the latest. Butch got his raise and extension after his 2nd year. Agents argue that a coach always needs to have at least 4 years remaining on the contract so recruits know the coach will be at the school for their entire career. Pruitt signed a 6 year deal. If we don’t extend him after this year the rumor mill will start of other teams wanting to hire him away. That just happened in basketball and the result is Fulmer is paying a Sweet 16 coach top 5 money. Expect Fulmer to overpay Pruitt in December if he shows any glimmers of success this year.
not sure why you're hung up on this. giving the extensions is just part of the business. you don't want a lame duck out there on the recruiting trail. ultimately, w/l's will determine all this. so what if they extend him after this year?

if he wins 7 games and goes to a bowl and closes a good class, we should extend him.

and there's a giant difference between Barnes and Pruitt's situation. it's called an offer on the table. and at that point you just have to decide how bad you want to keep the guy you got.

either way, nothing that i've posted on this has a thing to do with pruitt's contacts or agents or if he should or shouldn't be xtended or given a raise.

it only has to do with what's possible on the field and in recruuiting. the rest will take care of itself, and won't matter in the end if he needs to be fired one day. if he sucks, they'll fire him and pay the buyout.

or he could be great and worth every penny.

not sure which one some of you want to happen anymore.

Would you rather pay a Sweet 16 coach top 5 money or start over and possibly not even be a tournament team? I’m glad we stepped up to keep a good coach.

Would you rather pay a Sweet 16 coach top 5 money or start over and possibly not even be a tournament team? I’m glad we stepped up to keep a good coach.

Allow me to answer this question after Keon Johnson makes his final school choice. ;)

Reactions: hUTch2002
Allow me to answer this question after Keon Johnson makes his final school choice. ;)
Ha! I tell you what. Barnes won’t have an easy job this year, not with the expectations due to what we are paying him. But now isn’t the time for that. It’s almost football time! I love your name by the way. That’s awesome.

Reactions: Jack Burton

When it was clear UCLA couldn’t afford to hire him away I would make him the 10th - 15th highest paid coach.

When it was clear UCLA couldn’t afford to hire him away I would make him the 10th - 15th highest paid coach.
I’m guessing our money was already on the table at that point. All you have to do to get him in that range is not give an increase for a year or two the way these salaries are skyrocketing.

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back