Our Assistant Coaches blasted on TOS

No, he didn't. That is historical revisionism. And with the notable exception of Alabama with Saban, none of the other elite programs in college football at the moment (Clemson with Dabo Swinney, Georgia with Kirby Smart, Oklahoma with Lincoln Riley, Ohio State with Ryan Day, LSU with Ed Orgeron) hired an established head coach. They either promoted from within or hired a coordinator. Now, I suppose you could mention Tom Herman at Texas or Chris Petersen from Washington as established coaches who were hired from other schools, but still, that is not the norm.
Lincoln Riley did not get Oklahoma to where they are now - he merely took over the wheel of a Ferrari that was already humming along at 100 MPH, the same as Ryan Day at OSU (who has not even coached a game yet as the permanent HC), the same as Orgeron at LSU. The assertion that those programs constitute the sum total of all elite football programs apart from Bama, or even the notion that all the elite programs are hiring assistants with no HC experience, just isn't true.

Just in the last four years, Michigan, Texas A & M, and Florida have hired proven head coaches - and all three schools are currently ranked in the top ten in recruiting.

giphy.gif

Reactions: jakez4ut
No, Vandy owns the Vols until we prove otherwise, unfortunately

You know what I’m talking about here. This is a top tier winning program, recruits know it and that’s why we make top 5’s consistently. We even snag a few and it will become more once we start winning a few more games.

Lincoln Riley did not get Oklahoma to where they are now - he merely took over the wheel of a Ferrari that was already humming along at 100 MPH, the same as Ryan Day at OSU (who has not even coached a game yet as the permanent HC), the same as Orgeron at LSU. The assertion that those programs constitute the sum total of all elite football programs apart from Bama, or even the notion that all the elite programs are hiring assistants with no HC experience, just isn't true.

Just in the last four years, Michigan, Texas A & M, and Florida have hired proven head coaches - and all three schools are currently ranked in the top ten in recruiting.
The assertion that Texas A&M is an elite program just isn't true.... and I never said that Day or Riley were responsible for the current state of those teams, just that they were the current head coaches. And I don't speak in absolute terms. I am well aware that a few programs have hired head coaches from other teams, it just so happens those programs are not the ones who are making the college football playoff at the moment.

No, Vandy owns the Vols until we prove otherwise, unfortunately
Please, Vandy don't own crap. They've taken advantage of us being down for several years just as they should have.

To me, saying that is as stupid as saying we go 15-0 this year.

Reactions: Lurker
Recruits don't believe in us...Why should they?...Nobody wants to be a part of a losing program...Until we start winning regularly no top recruit is going to want to come here.

That statement probably made even a few Nega Vols cringe. Maybe you should adopt your home town team since we are not going to get any top recruits.

Please, Vandy don't own crap. They've taken advantage of us being down for several years just as they should have.

To me, saying that is as stupid as saying we go 15-0 this year.

It may have been only 5 out of 7 for Vandy, but it doesn't change the fact that Vandy has owned the Vols for what is closing in on a decade, the numbers speak for themselves no matter how you spin it......I hate it, because it really hurts to say that

It may have been only 5 out of 7 for Vandy, but it doesn't change the fact that Vandy has owned the Vols for what is closing in on a decade, the numbers speak for themselves no matter how you spin it......I hate it, because it really hurts to say that

One of the dumbest things I've read on here today. Although that doesn't seem to be saying alot, it is.

You're wrong and it's not worth arguing. Carry on.

You’ve got an elite recruiting staff that has little to sell right now. Kids want to win, and be developed for the next level. Our competition has been using our recent struggles on field and in the draft against us. Only way to fix things is to win.
But what made them elite? Selling programs that were already big winners and sold themselves?
Is that a chicken or egg discussion?

Pruitt has been here ONE season, and he inherited hot garbage. What the hell is wrong with some of you?
He's had two signing classes. Not gonna cut slack because he decided to split time with Bama and collect a fat postseason bonus instead or recruiting and vetting assistants for us 24-7 from moment of hire to NSD. No more excuses.

It don't think it's a full blown freak out, it just seems there are a few that are concerned and commenting on it. I guess if Pruitt ain't happy about it, it's okay if some here aren't.
Sorry, I would have thought that you of all people would have picked up on the non- blue font sarcasm. I have done it enough for gosh sake. 🤗

Reactions: Behr
But what made them elite? Selling programs that were already big winners and sold themselves?
it's situations.

Bama was down for like 6 or 7 years there during the run of the Mikes, Shula's 10 win season not withstanding, and they were an average at best program there in the very late 90's thru the early aughts.

not quite as bad a shape as we were in at the end of Jones' tenure, but certainly not close to elite.

but...they fell in to the saban hire. remember, they were set on hiring RR, and he got cold feet at the last minute. Saban wasn't their first choice. but he goes there, he has instant credibilty as a HC given his time at LSU and coming out of the NFL. it didn't take much to sell. there was no vision. he had a product already.

GA fired Richt after a 9 win season, and the roster that Kirby inherited was loads better than what Pruitt inherited. Kirby also benfited from the fact that the lions' share of that defense stayed in school for his 2nd year. and we know what happened there....so relatively instant success, product to sell. at that point, they really weren't that far away. heck, they were there.

those two programs were just in a better situation.

so you see those two, and their year 2, and you wonder what kind of year 2 does pruitt have to have? understanding it's not going to be like either of those two's.

it's all relative, and i think pruitt and company have been pretty honest last year and this year regarding what prospects should expect from TN.

so when you hear "we need to win" in order to recruit better, it's not that we have to go win the division and beat FL and GA right now.....but we do need to show that we look completely different than we have the past two years. we do need to get back to the post season. we need to look like we belong on the same field as the rest of the conf teams.

avoid the debacles, be competitive, and win as many games as you have the opportunity to do so....especially if you find yourself in position to win a game against any of the big 3. don't lose games you should win. sounds easy, but given our record against the SEC in general the past 2 years, hard to take anything for granted in that regard.

the last staff missed on several opportunities to do that. early and late, and ultimately it cost them and the program. coulda/woulda beat FL in 13, 14, 15, or 16....and didn't. coulda/woulda beat GA in 13...OU 15...aTm 15...USCe (pick a year) Bama 15...Vandy, MO, USCe 16....

you get the idea. 7-5 would show pretty good progress, so long as the 5 L's aren't lopsided blow outs where we look as bad as we've seen lately. 8-4 would be great.

LSS, we don't have to be world beaters to have a successful year 2, in the eyes of fans or prospects. we just need to avoid looking like we still suck out loud.

Reactions: Gandalf
He's had two signing classes. Not gonna cut slack because he decided to split time with Bama and collect a fat postseason bonus instead or recruiting and vetting assistants for us 24-7 from moment of hire to NSD. No more excuses.
tired argument. that month he stayed at Bama meant little to what happened last season....very little. and again, you still just omit the whole scenario on how we wound up with Pruitt in the first place, as if it has ZERO bearing on what happened next. nevermind what happened during the 16, 17 classes, and seasons......you don't like pruitt. noted. but quit acting like that one month is a singular cause of our current ills.

to say you're leaving a lot out of the story would be putting it mildly.

Reactions: NC_Orange and Behr
Sorry, I would have thought that you of all people would have picked up on the non- blue font sarcasm. I have done it enough for gosh sake. 🤗

Oh I knew part of it was sarcasm, I was just unsure about the freak out part.

The assertion that Texas A&M is an elite program just isn't true.... and I never said that Day or Riley were responsible for the current state of those teams, just that they were the current head coaches. And I don't speak in absolute terms. I am well aware that a few programs have hired head coaches from other teams, it just so happens those programs are not the ones who are making the college football playoff at the moment.
I think you have some curious criteria for what constitutes "elite". Texas A & M finished ahead of LSU last year in their division, and also beat them head-to-head, so it's pretty indefensible to call LSU elite and claim A & M is not.

I think you have some curious criteria for what constitutes "elite". Texas A & M finished ahead of LSU last year in their division, and also beat them head-to-head, so it's pretty indefensible to call LSU elite and claim A & M is not.
if i were comparing HC's, i'd say aTm is a lot closer to elite, right now, than LSU is. Jimbo is making his presence known in college station. O is still doing what he does best too, they're recruiting like gangbusters also.

it'll be interesting to see which one of those programs takes the next step up in the West.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Texas A&M's football team has lost at least 4 games per season every year since 1999, except for one - 2012 when they went 11-2. So, with the exception of one season since '99, the Aggies have been mediocre. Do they have potential to be much better than that? Of course, they do... but the results over the last 20 seasons are what they are.

LSU has obviously been consistently better. It is hardly indefensible to make that claim because I wasn't just referring to one season. Over the last 20 seasons, LSU has been elite.

tired argument. that month he stayed at Bama meant little to what happened last season....very little. and again, you still just omit the whole scenario on how we wound up with Pruitt in the first place, as if it has ZERO bearing on what happened next. nevermind what happened during the 16, 17 classes, and seasons......you don't like pruitt. noted. but quit acting like that one month is a singular cause of our current ills.

to say you're leaving a lot out of the story would be putting it mildly.
What did I leave out? Amount of the bonus? $234,000. He had a choice to go all-in with us or or not and he chose not, for $234,000. Just a fact.

Reactions: hog88
Chip Kelly stayed throughout the NC game so he could mumble unintelligibly on ESPN. Could’ve had him for $15 million per. 😔

so there's no legitimate reason why our staff wouldn't be able to get the kids, today, that GA, Bama, Clemson, LSU are getting...understanding that they've actually already done that in last year's class, of course.
where would this class need to be ranked on July 29th to meet your expectation or make you happy? lol.

Finishing on top 25 would be great.

Neids was recruiter of the year here. Martin was specifically hired by USC from Kentucky bc of his recruiting prowess; he's also been recruiter of the year I believe. Pruitt was recruiter of the year as well; he was one of the best recruiters (if not best) on staff at UGA, Bama, and FSU. Ansley was regarded as one of the best recruiters on Bama's staff as well. Now I get what you're saying but even if you're at an elite program you have to recruit against other elite programs; most of these guys were the ones that were put on elite players to close them. Best recruiting staff we've had since Kiffin's.

VN Store

Back