Other OC’s we’d be happy with

My top picks from the start have been... Way ahead at #1 Hugh Freeze, and behind him Enos. Hopefully this happens, I know others feel good about these two as well. But if all Hell breaks loose and we don’t end up with them; who would you still be ok with? Their are a ton of OC’s out there that would willingly move. Phil Longo,(Ole Miss OC) I know... sounds like a google name, is actually a stud OC. He puts up points. A lot of points! He has been successful everywhere he has gone, and improved every offense he has touched. He wants a Head coaching gig, and wants out of Ole Miss. (according to some) Wonder why anyone hasn’t brought him up. Kendal Briles would be great, but if we won’t hire Freeze and those reports are true, then we ain’t touching him either. Matt Canada is another name that I think I’d live with. What are your thoughts? These are the first few that popped in my head now that it’s starting to look like we’re not getting the “chosen one.” Anyone else you think we could end up in a good situation with?
Good article on Trooper Taylor: Tennessee football: What about Trooper Taylor for Vols OC?

About Longo: I guess the "you're only as good as your last fight" thing is holding him back carrying over from the Egg Bowl where his O only put up 3 points the whole game. That was the last game they played. He did put up a bunch of points against scrub teams and hung tight with South Carolina in a shootout. Those crazy high scoring games were almost all against cupcakes though. To be fair, there are all kinds of variables and Miss St. and Alabama are among the best defenses, etc. to justify no offense against those two teams (3 points total and 7 points total). That makes for reasonable answers to justify his offense's lack of points production for those games, but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence if identifying a potential offensive coordinator to help the team compete again is the objective. That's not an evaluation by any means obviously, but just figure that may be some people's general impression if his name hasn't exactly been making the rounds yet.

Longo suffered from a defense that couldn't get off of the field this season. Yet, they still put up good numbers. Miss St's D was outta this world, and Bama was definitely no slouch, either. What of Missouri's OC? Love their offense. Balanced, and lethal. Probably wouldn't leave Missouri for UT though.

Guys I'd be okay with...

Yurchich OK State: total offense 10th , rushing offense 47th, Scoring off 14th

Chip Long Notre Dame: total offense 28th , rushing offense 49th, scoring off 34th

Matt Canada Maryland: total offense outside top50 , rushing offense 17th, scoring off outside top 50 (we all know alot to deal with at MD this year)

According to NCAA.com

Chip Long would be my pick if I could choose.

Last edited:
Longo suffered from a defense that couldn't get off of the field this season. Yet, they still put up good numbers. Miss St's D was outta this world, and Bama was definitely no slouch, either. What of Missouri's OC? Love their offense. Balanced, and lethal. Probably wouldn't leave Missouri for UT though.
u do know that is one derek dooley right?

The Vols need players much worse than they need a big name OC and many big name OC's will avoid UT until we have decent players.Think about the coaches watching UT struggle to gain 20 yds rushing against Charlotte...........
20 yards, unbelievable, but so true

you want him as an OC, and his unique system? I understand he will likely have at least one more season at Auburn, I’m asking theoretically.

We need a top notch OLine/OLine coach first. No offense can flourish if a QB has less than 2 seconds before the pocket collapses and RB’s get stuffed behind the LOS.

VN Store

Back