On next year's scheduling

Should Kellie pull a Mulkey for next season, scheduling-wise?

• No. Test the team early and often.

Votes: 38 31.4%
  • Yes. Next season's schedule needs to be a lot less challenging.

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • Let's see how the NCAA Tournament committee addresses LSU's weak scheduling

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Wait at least 6 games into the season before playing a ranked team

Votes: 44 36.4%
  • LSU's non-con schedule was boring, but it doesn't appear to have hurt them

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters
Actually there is tons of evidence to suggest the possibility - her health, her family, her home, her relationship with her sister, projected rosters, the fact that she has honored her four year commitment to Kellie - you're just selectively ignoring it.

Obviously none of us know what she's thinking, I doubt she herself has even 100% decided. But to deny that option isn't being seriously considered is incredibly naive on your part...

You and I have different definitions of "evidence". Those are "tons" (tons is debatable but I won't argue it) "of suppositions", at best.

You and I have different definitions of "evidence". Those are "tons" (tons is debatable but I won't argue it) "of suppositions", at best.

You're struggling so let me help you: The "supposition" is that Key would strongly consider playing at another school. The "evidence" are FACTS I presented to support said supposition.

Definitions are hard...

You're struggling so let me help you: The "supposition" is that Key would strongly consider playing at another school. The "evidence" are FACTS I presented to support said supposition.

Definitions are hard...
A supposition based on facts. Ok, got it. LOL

Definitions are hard...
Indeed she "could" leave, but since that possibility hasn't been mentioned by her or anyone in the program, why speculate about it? You could make those speculations about anyone, I don't understand what the point is.

Indeed she "could" leave, but since that possibility hasn't been mentioned by her or anyone in the program, why speculate about it? You could make those speculations about anyone, I don't understand what the point is.
Other than to coax someone into a reply?

Definitions are hard...

Let's review...

her health - You are speculating that her health issues would lead her to transfer? Wouldn't tie-ins to Knoxville/Nashville doctors and a Knoxville-based treatment program encourage her to stay in Knoxville? Do you have any actual evidence that supports that she is in any way unhappy with medical treatments at UT?

her family - Yes, she does have a family, just like any other player on our team. I guess I can't deny the fact that she has a family, but it is pretty flimsy support that she will transfer.

her home - Yes, she does have a home, just like any other player on our team. If this is valid evidence of future transfer, we'll need to update our recruiting strategy to roughly a 2-hour radius from Knoxville.

her relationship with her sister - Maybe her sis should transfer to Knoxville where she can get more than 5 min/g?

projected rosters - I don't follow, feels like you're grasping

the fact that she has honored her four year commitment to Kellie - That is a fact but it is not evidence of anything.

If you have some legit insight I'm all ears, but this is some extremely weak sauce. I've come to expect better from you, although negative leaning, usually your takes are well reasoned.

Last edited:
Let's review...

her health - You are speculating that her health issues would lead her to transfer? Wouldn't tie-ins to Knoxville/Nashville doctors and a Knoxville-based treatment program encourage her to stay in Knoxville? Do you have any actual evidence that supports that she is in any way unhappy with medical treatments at UT?

her family - Yes, she does have a family, just like any other player on our team. I guess I can't deny the fact that she has a family, but it is pretty flimsy support that she will transfer.

her home - Yes, she does have a home, just like any other player on our team. If this is valid evidence of future transfer, we'll need to update our recruiting strategy to roughly a 2-hour radius from Knoxville.

her relationship with her sister - Mayber sis should transfer to Knoxville where she can get more than 5 min/g?

projected rosters - I don't follow, feels like you're grasping

the fact that she has honored her four year commitment to Kellie - That is a fact but it is not evidence of anything.

If you have some legit insight I'm all ears, but this is some extremely weak sauce. I've come to expect better from you, although negative leaning, usually your takes are well reasoned.

The flipside is the reasons that Key has to stay:

She knows her role and the team (no adjustment curves or surprises).

She excelled in this system and knows that she will have a starring role, kinda of important if your positioning for the WNBA draft.

She missed a whole season of playing in front the Vol fan base and might want that experience.

She is connected to all the players who are coming back. Unless we have a Watergate level cover-up, there seems to be a genuine sense of sisterhood among the team.

Her actual sister coming to a team that has roster holes to fill makes a lot of sense actually.

She may have a passionate love for Calhouns's ribs.

A supposition based on facts. Ok, got it. LOL

Apparently not. You seem to be struggling with definitions like zip code.

Key's circumstances are very different than anyone else on the team as previously mentioned, and I think anyone who took off their orange shades and looked at the situation objectively would admit it makes a lot of sense whether or not it actually happens. And BTW, I'm not the only one on the forum who has brought this up...

you want to be the best you gotta beat the best. challenge them early and often

Unless you know you don't have the talent to beat them. If Kellie doesn't load up on cupcakes next year, she's signing her own termination paperwork. If we played this years schedule with next year's players... we wouldn't have made the ncaas.

Unless you know you don't have the talent to beat them. If Kellie doesn't load up on cupcakes next year, she's signing her own termination paperwork. If we played this years schedule with next year's players... we wouldn't have made the ncaas.
I wonder how much of next year’s schedule is already set. Won’t we get Ohio State next year at home?

Yeah, I hope to become full-on fan-diabetic from munching on cupcakes next season. We can thank Kim Mulkey for taking the shame out of that tactic.

How far the standard has dropped when Tennessee fans want more cupcakes.

Yeah, I hope to become full-on fan-diabetic from munching on cupcakes next season. We can thank Kim Mulkey for taking the shame out of that tactic.

She’s been doing it for years. Allows her to coach them up and set expectations. She generally benches some of her better players for mistakes early in the season.

Allows her to get them where they need to be by the time they hit conference play. I used to hate on it, but when done right it can really benefit you.

We had a cupcake season with Holly but that was to try to save her job, not to make her team better.

We would have been in a much better place if we could have benched a player or two for a half early in the season for turnovers. Instead we were forced to make them play through it and damaged their confidence against top teams we were not ready to play.

Although I have seen her bench players against good teams too. She’s not afraid to lose one if she has to make a point. I can remember a game against Stanford where she benched Kalani Brown and someone else, maybe Smith. Because they just weren’t bringing it. Probably would have won the game if they played but making the point was more important. I believe that was the year they won their last Natty.

Last edited:
Does it matter if you lose the games that matter?
It all matters
I too agree, we should have won games we weren't supposed to win.
That is the price of admission to the status of "elite"
The elite win games they're not supposed to win

Last edited:
She’s been doing it for years. Allows her to coach them up and set expectations. She generally benches some of her better players for mistakes early in the season.

Allows her to get them where they need to be by the time they hit conference play. I used to hate on it, but when done right it can really benefit you.

We had a cupcake season with Holly but that was to try to save her job, not to make her team better.

We would have been in a much better place if we could have benched a player or two for a half early in the season for turnovers. Instead we were forced to make them play through it and damaged their confidence against top teams we were not ready to play.

AGREE!!!!!
A message would have been sent re turnovers

Although I have seen her bench players against good teams too. She’s not afraid to lose one if she has to make a point. I can remember a game against Stanford where she benched Kalani Brown and someone else, maybe Smith. Because they just weren’t bringing it. Probably would have won the game if they played but making the point was more important. I believe that was the year they won their last Natty.

I'd hate it if we played as lame of a non-conference schedule as LSU did this year. I'd prefer instead we play a few less games against the top-tier teams, and few more mid-majors who are top 3 in their leagues, like teams we played this year, UMass, Wofford, and Chattanooga (maybe we could add teams that were top 3 in their conferences this year like Belmont, ETSU, Memphis, Western Kentucky, Tennessee Tech, Bowling Green, etc.). That would allow us to keep a pretty strong SOS while hopefully having a better overall record (and like you said, more opportunities to coach players up).

Reactions: VolBall09
IMO a good setup would be

quality opponent or tournament
3 cupcakes
quality opponent
3 cupcakes
quality opponent
3 cupcakes

until you hit SEC play

The quality opponents show you what problems you need to work on, then the cupcakes give you a good chance to hone those things in and experiment with the lineups.
I like opening with something important because you can use that to motivate during off-season work and in the weight room.

I would only schedule one elite non-SEC opponent like ND, Stanford, etc. I wouldn't play Uconn until Geno is dead.

Play Tennessee Tech four times, Austin Peay four times, and Vol State Community College four times.

VN Store

Back