Ok, what was it that did us in after half-time?

I go jg all the way, because at the start of the 3rd quarter we had the lead. It is when jg's turnovers started it changed the whole game. And oc has to keep plays simple for jg, if you notice when maurer played last year he had a much more wide open offense. The qb play was the difference in the game imo. And I base that on how we played the first half before the turnovers.
And what forced the turnovers? Relentless pressure.

Half time adjustments. Smart made them Pruitt didnt. Pruitt dropped the ball big time.
When your vaunted OL gets mauled, it's hard to make adjustments. Our OL was b*tch-slapped. I saw adjustments, but they were ineffective because the OL was horrible. Tell us what adjustments you would have made. We couldn't run the ball and JG didn't have time to throw the ball.

There are limited opportunities to hit 50/50 balls against UGA . The windows on passes are much much smaller. Counting on this , UGA sat on the run gaps , pass rushed with abandon and blitzed from everywhere. They man covered with no fear They put more in the box than we had blockers. They basically dared JG to hit the short and intermediate routes. He could not. If he could have , he would have got a positive blocker to rusher ratio and the run game would have worked. There would have been no blitzes. He would have had more time . He would have had time to target the man coverage downfield.

This single read check down stuff if going to work against the rank an file SEC ...but it won't against the elite. UGA just put the script on TV as to how to shut JG down. He has to go thru progressions , take advantage of blitzes and take the defense out of the box. Ever wonder why nobody would blitz Manning ? Because he would make them pay rather than stand like a deer in the headlights

Very good and very well said, anyone who understands football should see this, but there are many that don't understand this. All you have to do with jg at qb is man to man and plug running gaps and have more people coming at you than the ol can block, and you hold ut to around 14 points per game. When an opponent respects your passing game they cannot play that many men so close to the los. which affects your ol and your running game.

Reactions: 08Vol
The turnovers hurt big time, but the dirty chop block was the mental turning point in the 2nd half.

And by the way it looked like Palmer may have gotten intentionally poked in the eye by the GA defender after the tackle was over and while they were on the ground.
Chop block and poke in the eye have nothing to do with the outcome of the game.

When your vaunted OL gets mauled, it's hard to make adjustments. Our OL was b*tch-slapped. I saw adjustments, but they were ineffective because the OL was horrible. Tell us what adjustments you would have made. We couldn't run the ball and JG didn't have time to throw the ball.

He had time to throw slants which is very quick, and this would have made them play from off the los, which would open up the running game, but I think they are afraid for jg to throw many of them because he often over throws them and would be int., when you hit those passes you will see much better ol play and the running game would improve

JG had some time. Just because a pass rush is coming does not mean you cannot make plays, and you especially do not turn the ball over by holding the balm with one hand and throwing of your back foot. Peewee League Qb’s Know better than that.

Bench JG and see how Shrout or Maurer would have done. Our offense is handcuffed because of the QB.

Georgia decided to increase the pressure on the QB...JG was 11-13 in the first half because he had some time...the adjustment Georgia made was to tighten coverage and bring more pressure...they were sure we couldn’t run and their DBs can play tight...JG had no open receivers (and he is slow to check off anyway) and they got to him. That first fumble was a great play by the DE - he beat his block and striped the ball. The Int was JG being JG - he either had to hit the back while he was releasing (And not pick up a first down) or just eat the ball and punt. Georgia stayed in attack mode with their front and we had no answer.

JG just is what he is. A very average SEC QB. When we played legit Ds the game is moving too fast for him. Before and after the snap.

Yet, he played a great first half--near perfect. Was the game moving too fast for him then? In the second half, he had NO time to set up and throw the ball. The game tends to move too fast for any QB when you have less than 2 seconds to get rid of the ball.
I told my son at halftime that if our OL didn't create some running lanes, we were going to get blown out. That is exactly what happened because UGA pinned their ears back and brought EXTREME pressure to JG on most every down.

Georgia decided to increase the pressure on the QB...JG was 11-13 in the first half because he had some time...the adjustment Georgia made was to tighten coverage and bring more pressure...they were sure we couldn’t run and their DBs can play tight...JG had no open receivers (and he is slow to check off anyway) and they got to him. That first fumble was a great play by the DE - he beat his block and striped the ball. The Int was JG being JG - he either had to hit the back while he was releasing (And not pick up a first down) or just eat the ball and punt. Georgia stayed in attack mode with their front and we had no answer.
IMO, the pick was at least partially on the WR. He is responsible for seeing the blitz and filling the void created by the blitzing player. He ran upfield and then just stopped. Had he come back for the ball, worse case it's an incomplete pass. Blame that on inexperience, blown assignment, or bad coaching.

Chop block and poke in the eye have nothing to do with the outcome of the game.

The chop block took out a key DL, affected our DL depth, and affected the momentum of the game. In a close game like this was in the 3rd, momentum is big. This was one of several factors that affected the outcome of the game.

Eye poke:
Dictionary:
"by the way" = incidentally, used to introduce a minor topic not connected with what was being spoken about previously.

Yet, he played a great first half--near perfect. Was the game moving too fast for him then? In the second half, he had NO time to set up and throw the ball. The game tends to move too fast for any QB when you have less than 2 seconds to get rid of the ball.
I told my son at halftime that if our OL didn't create some running lanes, we were going to get blown out. That is exactly what happened because UGA pinned their ears back and brought EXTREME pressure to JG on most every down.
UGA turned up the pressure and he reacted with 2 turnovers straight out of the gate. Both of those were on him. Poor ball security on the first and a terrible decision on the second. Those were things you expect out of a young inexperienced QB. Not a 5th year Sr. That was basically a green light to go even more aggressive. He protects the ball and we punt twice in those situations and we are able to keep the pressure their inexperienced QB.

You re not gonna open running lanes against that defense without a QB threat. We currently don't have that and until that changes the result isn't going to.

They basically dared JG to hit the short and intermediate routes. He could not. If he could have , he would have got a positive blocker to rusher ratio and the run game would have worked. There would have been no blitzes. He would have had more time . He would have had time to target the man coverage downfield.
/QUOTE]

JG was 11 of 13 in the first half, and, if I'm not mistaken, only two of those completitions were over 20 yds. So, he hit the short to intermediate passes and we still couldn't run the ball. In the second half, UGA took away the short to intermediate passes and blitzed almost every down and our OL didn't give JG any time to go thru progressions. It almost looked like one guy playing 11.

Having said that, I think we need to be looking at other QBs, particularly when a game is out of hand one way or the other. I would have played another QB late in the Mizzou game and after we were down more than 2 scores today. But, I have no doubt that no QB on our roster would have fared any better in the second half today. UGA was just too dominant.

Was it coaching, JG, DL, OL? I just couldn't believe how we were being dominated by GA. We just couldn't come back from our errors.
Horrible offense. Look at Ole miss versus Bama. Ole miss doesn’t have any more talent on offense than us and our Defense is much better. They are playing with attitude. Kiffin schemes the defense into problems and players in those zones. Everything is quick and forces defenses to react instead did attack. Georgia was able to attack all night.

UGA keyed on the fact that other then the 2 TD passes JG does not challenge downfield with consistency....even whe. He had time hes more likely to check down to grey over the middle....so they took that away by playing downhill run and pressure defense....and instead of staying aggressive and taking those shots....OLE conservative CJP decided he wants to pull the reins in and play right into UGAs hands...
This is on CJP, CJC, OL, and JG

Reactions: 08Vol and wmcovol
The chop block took out a key DL, affected our DL depth, and affected the momentum of the game. In a close game like this was in the 3rd, momentum is big. This was one of several factors that affected the outcome of the game.

Eye poke:
Dictionary:
"by the way" = incidentally, used to introduce a minor topic not connected with what was being spoken about previously.
The chop block had nothing to do with changing momentum. The turnovers certainly did.

VN Store

Back