Official Nashville Predators Thread

I this this dude on Yahoo makes some good points. They've got a few more years (maybe) to reach the top, and if they don't get there they'll have to blow it up. Given that Poile is 70, I bet that'd be it for him too.

Predators throw caution to the wind with Roman Josi contract
It does make sense. Its a sounder move than Glen Sather's grasping in his last few years as GM trying to get over the hump by extending Girardi and Staal, signing Dan Boyle, and so on.

It's a calculated risk that you need to take to get above "contender" status, and Josi seems to play a game that won't age HORRIBLY. Worst case he breaks down and his cap hit is buried on LTIR unless the next CBA changes the rules

Reactions: 05_never_again
Bottom line you aren't replacing what he brings over the next 3 seasons if he leaves, a seasoned defenseman with skill just doesn't become available. Next summer right now you're looking at Pietrangelo and Barrie, I'd slot Josi directly between the 2. If both make it Alex will be over 10 based on being the best of a thin crop, and if that happened someone will give Barrie 9 because he's a lot better than anyone left.

He wasn't going to take a 4-5 year deal imo and we couldn't let him walk. This deal may be an albatross in it's second half but by then, our window will likely be closed anyway. Gotta make it pay off.
Oh I know. I don't hate the deal.

So we're going into 2020 with the following Preds as unsigned: Granlund, Smith, Grimaldi, Salomaki, Weber, Hamhuis, and Irwin. My guess is that one or both of Smith and Granlund will be gone since the big money we handed down to Josi. I can see Grimaldi and Salomaki signing for cheap. Hamhuis I think will retire and I'm not sure if we'll re-sign the Irwin/Weber duo.

So we're going into 2020 with the following Preds as unsigned: Granlund, Smith, Grimaldi, Salomaki, Weber, Hamhuis, and Irwin. My guess is that Smith and Granlund will be gone since the big money we handed down to Josi. I can see Grimaldi and Salomaki signing for cheap. Hamhuis I think will retire and I'm not sure if we'll re-sign the Irwin/Weber duo.
Weber is the best of the bottom defenders we have.

Offense is good enough to win a championship I think. Polie has to address the defense if we're going to do that though.

Offense is good enough to win a championship I think. Polie has to address the defense if we're going to do that though.
I really easy thing to point out after the defense struggles is the loss of Subban, but I really don't think his absence makes the defense worse. There were a bunch of defensive lapses last year too with him here.

What else can Poile do to address the defense? Those guys are supposed to be really good on paper. Bolster the 3rd D pairing perhaps?

VN Store

Back