Official Jon Gruden Thread XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2012 his agent did say there was zero interest .... from everything I am seeing and hearing I am unsure if Currie ever contacted Gruden .... I think Boosters did but still unsure about Currie

His job wasn’t at risk in 2012 tho...

No, that is not correct. He said Schiano told someone who told him. Makes it second level hearsay and wouldn't hold up in any court.

At any rate the guy just isn't a very good football coach. And possibly even worse human being. Allegedly.

Okay, that makes sense as to why he was never brought in on the case. Thanks for clearing that up. Either way, everything I've heard about him out of Rutgers and the Bucs is bad news. Definitely not the type of guy we want at the helm.

Ok, I've avoided posting here about Gruden but here it goes. I think there were some talks, there may even have been a MOU but Sunday was a game changer. This was the power play from the Haslams, they went scorched Earth and meltdown resulted. Neither side got what they wanted so at least the Haslams didn't win out but what we are left with is this. No direction.

Best we can do is hire another scrub and hope things play out in booster circles in our favor. The Haslams have to lose our even if it means they take their ball with them.

I have been here since the beginning and will remain. I love this thread and got to know some of you. For me hope is lost but I will carry out the theme of this thread which to me was hope in the face of adversity.

It's Gruden till in ain't right?

Reactions: 2 people
First one is from Davenport this morning... and the second is something I saw on twitter that I thought was interesting. Not sure who the poster is.

Attachments

• IMG_3976.jpg
    IMG_3976.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3975.jpg
    IMG_3975.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: 23 people
Just because Gruden signed a MOU does not mean that Currie signed it.

All we need is a DIFFERENT Athletic Director to sign it.

Gruden hasn't shot it down because he is in play until someone else takes the podium.

This is the hope I hang onto and that Atlanta Vol and other boosters will help oust Currie today

Wetzel basically saying we should not convict(painting on the rock) Schiano when there is no evidence he was involved in the Sandusky case.

There is evidence. Sworn testimony, as a matter of fact. The evidence was disputed by Schiano, but to say there is no evidence is categorically false.

This is why we need to go over Davenports head.

Twitter

“I deeply regret the events of yesterday for everyone involved. The university remains steadfast in its commitment to excellence, and I look forward to John Currie continuing the search...”

Reactions: 3 people
[twitter]https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/935212765370662912[/twitter]

No. Currie/Haslam do not get to deep 6 the Gruden deal and then cover it up by hiring Tee, who is woefully underprepared to take such a position, to show they are still TN guys.

HELL NO!! Currie must go, Haslam must go. Stop the coaching search and remove the cancer.

Reactions: 7 people
Rev, at this point it's not about the coach, it's bigger. You could bring in the nicest guy with solid credentials and no baggage, but with Haslam and his agent at AD, things will continue to be a circus.

Personally, I can't be involved in giving my support to a program that has those individuals making the top decisions. No offense to the players or any other coach that may be hired.

This isn't about Gruden anymore. I still think he would be the best option for our program, but the leadership issues have to be solved first and foremost.

I've sent my emails today. I encourage everyone else to do the same. Be respectful and polite, but firm. We can't support this program as long as Haslam is driving.

I agree. Been saying it all day. This isn’t about football anymore.

Wetzel basically saying we should not convict(painting on the rock) Schiano when there is no evidence he was involved in the Sandusky case.

I heard Wetzel on a show earlier (can't remember which) and he said the statement against Schiano wasn't first person but second hand. That no civil or criminal charges were ever brought against Schiano after an exhaustive investigation by the FBI.

OK, let's say he isn't guilty of that. Not saying he isn't but let's set that aside for a minute.

You stop have all these other justifiable reasons why Schiano should not be hired by UT.

The allegations of how he destroyed the Tampa locker room with his personality, the autocratic style of managing his players. Apparently he was paranoid that players and other coaches were constantly plotting against him. Having his defense try to hurt other players.And his NFL record was awful.

At Rutgers his APR was awful. He caught lightning in a bottle with Ray Rice and had a couple decent seasons in a crappy conference.

Just on his resume, reputation, and record alone he should have never been in considerstion.

Then add even the hint of knowledge about the Sandusky fiaso as the cherry on top and even my pea brain is asking, wtf was Currie thinking?

Haslam was enamored with Schiano for whatever reason, Currie was buddies with him, so they tried to backdoor us with this sob.

Two people, and only 2 wanted this clown. When other AD employees were asked it was pretty much negative across the board. And they STILL tried to pull this crap.

That's screams 2 things to me, arrogance or stupidity and I'm not sure the line isn't blurred in this situation.

I don't see us recovering from this for a long, long time.

Those 2 clowns took was the 1 opportunity that us fans have been waiting on to bring some sort of relevance to the program and crapped all over it.

It has been brought up all the good the Haslams do for the university, that doesn't absolve them from the damage they do to the university with their heavy handed ways.

Smh.. what a cluster ****.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Ok, I've avoided posting here about Gruden but here it goes. I think there were some talks, there may even have been a MOU but Sunday was a game changer. This was the power play from the Haslams, they went scorched Earth and meltdown resulted. Neither side got what they wanted so at least the Haslams didn't win out but what we are left with is this. No direction.

Best we can do is hire another scrub and hope things play out in booster circles in our favor. The Haslams have to lose our even if it means they take their ball with them.

I have been here since the beginning and will remain. I love this thread and got to know some of you. For me hope is lost but I will carry out the theme of this thread which to me was hope in the face of adversity.

It's Gruden till in ain't right?

Gruden has been set aside for now. We have much bigger fish to fry. Currie must go, Davenport must go, and the Haslams need to GTFO out of the football program. Until that is fixed, we are just wasting our time.

okay, last time i'll bother y'all with this.
we need to do something besides chat amongst ourselves.

once we've made calls and emails and such, then commence the chit chat. but please, volnation, please, take a few minutes and at least try to voice your displeasure to someone besides ourselves.

please.

Reactions: 4 people
No. Currie/Haslam do not get to deep 6 the Gruden deal and then cover it up by hiring Tee, who is woefully underprepared to take such a position, to show they are still TN guys.

HELL NO!! Currie must go, Haslam must go. Stop the coaching search and remove the cancer.

Exactly what they are trying to do...

ANYBODY behind the podium but Gruden.

Sexton is Tee's agent.

I answered last night in the negative. I think LAVol1 summarized things just about perfectly in the last thread. I think the AD was running two "searches" at the same time and hoped to get the GS deal public first so that admin and boosters would feel they had to support it. I think this put the University in a terrible position with JG, who I am still convinced signed. If I'm JG, there's no way I come to work at UT while Currie and Haslam are involved. That's just me, FWIW.

Thanks.

We are watching a civil war for the control of UT come to a head right now...I think at this point it's one we cannot lose, but may get worse before it gets better.

The time for Brohm has passed. I'll admit, after yesterday's debacle, he certainly looks like a viable option. However, due to the state we are in an Orange blood infusion is needed more than ever. I'm willing to sacrifice some wins to re-establish some Tennessee values. Let Cutcliffe take over, and let Tee be a coach-in-waiting. There will he immediate support for that, where a hire like Brohm, wise as it may be, will produce fan apathy like we've not yet experienced.
You're right, but quite honestly I may be done. I'm ashamed that my alma mater has allowed this shady crap not once but twice. I've defended the Haslams and the good they've done in the Knoxville community, but Jimmy... I'm not sure he's cut from the same cloth as his father or brother. Maybe they all are not what they appear. I dont know, but unless Currie gone & AtlantaVol comes back and says the good guys won, the only thing I'll be back on UT's campus for is my daughter's graduation in 2 years.

Reactions: 6 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back