Official Jon Gruden Thread XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peyton was working with the boosters to bring us Gruden. I doubt he was pushing for Tennessee to hire a coordinator instead of a sitting head coach. Don't believe everything you read.

You really don't know what kind of relationships Peyton has made during and after NFL. Dude is super rich and has probably been approached by Browns/Haslam for who knows what. They may have pitched a great story about Schiano. Vol football may be a little lower on his priority list
right now. God knows they probably call twice a year for money.

I get the feeling that Currie is not going to be the one making this hire, sure he might still be employed but I'd bet folding money that someone else within the AD is running the search right now. I very much doubt Currie makes it to next season as the AD, he has pissed way too many people off at this point.

Good day Grudenites, I missed much of the last thread, but what a weekend. I have yet to go back and catch up on the tweets and what not. Anywhooo,

If one was to believe this entire Grude adventure, then one should not be overly shocked by this weekends crap show. It was stated that there was/is a power struggle for the university. It was stated that Haslam put hires in place, at the last minute, previously. It was stated that "we" needed to be influenced and voice our opinions.

I'm just a knuckle dragging millwright and don't spend a lot of money, nor do I have any connections. So the way that I see it, this weekend changed nothing (if you believed the entire power struggle theory). I am still on the same train that I have been on for the past month. Gruden, Patterson, Petersen and there is a new guard in Knoxville. The old guard tried to slip one in on us again, this weekend, but lost.

Just my perspective.

Reactions: 11 people
Schiano was never plan B as I alluded to earlier...even sadder part is I found out about it from one of Urbans very close associates literally as it was going down Sunday afternoon with a text “did you know you are closing in on Schiano? Your crew is up here now are you aware?”

Ill elaborate more once I have time to put the rest of the puzzle together and the timing around it but rest assured this guy was never even on most of our radar until the very last second....which is clearly what Currie wanted.

I am headed to knoxville now...then off to an another location to discuss what measures will help force change. We must demand accountability....pure and simple.

Reactions: 149 people
Dan Lebatard (sp) just talking about how he would love to see Lane Kiffin back at TENNESSEE. Said it would be funny to see it come full circle, that the fans would be so excited now after what just happened, that we would be sleeping on our burnt mattresses to get tickets.

I didn't want to laugh.

Reactions: 6 people
I called the Chancellor’s office. A young man answered and stated Davenport was not receiving calls. Duh! So I voiced my concerns regarding Currie, who’s firing I favor, along with voicing the embarrassment and anger I feel towards the people allowing our beloved University to flounder. I expressed that my contributions, however relatively small they are, will stop. He hung up on me. TIFWIW

Amazingly they are actually taking calls. I got two angry sentences out before he hung up on me as well

Reactions: 1 person
I keep thinking about Dumb & Dumber. “Just when I think you couldn’t get any dumber, you go and do something like this.”

Except “totally redeeming yourself” seems off the table.

Good day Grudenites, I missed much of the last thread, but what a weekend. I have yet to go back and catch up on the tweets and what not. Anywhooo,

If one was to believe this entire Grude adventure, then one should not be overly shocked by this weekends crap show. It was stated that there was/is a power struggle for the university. It was stated that Haslam put hires in place, at the last minute, previously. It was stated that "we" needed to be influenced and voice our opinions.

I'm just a knuckle dragging millwright and don't spend a lot of money, nor do I have any connections. So the way that I see it, this weekend changed nothing (if you believed the entire power struggle theory). I am still on the same train that I have been on for the past month. Gruden, Patterson, Petersen and there is a new guard in Knoxville. The old guard tried to slip one in on us again, this weekend, but lost.

Just my perspective.

Love that optimism, gotta be honest, the whole debacle has told me everything I need to know about the AD right now. If there really is a power struggle then Haslam laid out his cards yesterday and got called. Very interested in where this search goes now.

Schiano was never plan B as I alluded to earlier...even sadder part is I found out about it from one of Urbans very close associates literally as it was going down Sunday afternoon with a text “did you know you are closing in on Schiano? Your crew is up here now are you aware?”

Ill elaborate more once I have time to put the rest of the puzzle together and the timing around it but rest assured this guy was never even on most of our radar until the very last second....which is clearly what Currie wanted.

I am headed to knoxville now...then off to an another location to discuss what measures will help force change. We must demand accountability....pure and simple.

we are truly a bottom barrel cesspool of **** right now huh

No their not. Not now! You can’t follow-up this PR nightmare with this kind of controversial hire, in Lane Kiffin. Think logically for a minute.

I was and that was why my whole trust was in them hiring a proven coach this go around. They literally were going to trot out one of the worst possible choices and think that was ok. Think about this, when people heard his name and said it was a smokescreen people got mad at the AD for even using his name. That should tell you something. What our AD does now will not surprise me at all.

Eff them all up for us, please.

Reactions: 12 people

Thank you AV! The UTAD doesn't deserve great boosters like yourself

Reactions: 3 people
I think things are starting to clear up regarding Gruden. With Hargis, Wallace and Brice all reporting some degree of contact/interest and with Blackburn’s comments fanning the fire, there was at the very least some interest.

On the other hand, there was Hyams saying zero percent/no interest. We can now see that this was probably accurate that Gruden had no interest in taking the job AS OFFERED BY CURRIE.

I also find it interesting that our fan base, for the most part, seems to want Blackburn as AD. And yet it was his interview that really led to a marked increase in the Grumors.

Reactions: 5 people
Use it as you wish, just don't attribute any edits you choose to make as coming from me.

Of course, I wanted to litter it with expletives so harsh, sailors would've been obliged to give me a "standing-o." However, nothing is ever accomplished when you end a conversation/correspondence before it even starts, and expletives would've done just that.

I just sent it verbatim. It’s my last day home for a couple of weeks. After yesterday I needed a drink this morning. So, I’m in no shape to be writing any angry emails today.

My email sent to Davenport and the pres.

It is with great sadness I write to you to voice my displeasure at the actions of Mr John Currie. it would appear, on the surface, that he has deliberately misinformed (at best) the faithful followers of UT Football. We, as fans, are a passionate group and can be prone to outburst. However, the events of the coaching search cannot be ignored by the administration at Tennessee. The statement allegedly released by Mr Currie was an insult to everyone who believed he could bring UT football back to glory. His reference to "getting to know Greg Schiano" would insinuate he was hiring his friend to be the coach. This would appear to be a case of malfeasance on the part of Mr Currie and would be an utter failure to perform due diligence in the search for the next football coach. It gives the appearance that Mr Currie is merely a puppet to one of the boosters and is not a man of integrity. It places a large stain on his image as AD and a stain on the university as a whole.

The situation that transpired this weekend was unacceptable. The actions of Mr Currie to ignore any established protocol and simply go after one candidate, (who appears to be a close friend of his) is short sighted and possibly damaging to the integrity of UT.

I urge to not to ignore the pleas of the countless numbers of fans and take action against Mr Currie and any who have blindly followed along with what happened this weekend. To ignore the fans is to cut off the life blood of the university.

While I do not claim to be an expert at hiring coaches, I am a loyal fan of UT. I want the best for the university and I want to continue my pride in the university.

Thank you for your time,

Reactions: 16 people

The dude himself.. hey good luck man. Hopefully you're in a position to influence someone

After yesterday I believe the fan base would support Kiffin!

It’s just too risky. You could be right...but what if you’re wrong? That’s what the AD is going to consider.

Let me draw out how the conversation would go (hypothetically).

Staff/boosters: “I think our fan base would welcome back Lane Kiffin, given the state we’re in”.

AD: “But what if they’re not accepting? What if half are against it? Could it cause turmoil within the fan base? Could we, potentially, have another riot on our hands?”

Staff/boosters: “You’re right, it’s too big of a risk. Let’s exhaust all other options before we go down that road”.

For people who really want to email the Chancellor, I think you should reference the fact that under the current organization tree at the University she is responsible for supervision of the athletic director. I would also suggest that you cc: President DiPietro and your state Representative and state Senator (if you're a Tennessee resident). I'd keep it short and respectful and omit the cryptic analogies.

Great advice! The disrespect will only get it thrown away.

Please please Atlanta, do what y'all have to do to push the "old money" out. Bama did it and look at their FB program. Auburn did it and look at their FB program.

Oh and do not on any circumstance let Currie make this hire. He needs fired immediately.

#fireCurrie

Reactions: 7 people
We are watching a civil war for the control of UT come to a head right now...I think at this point it's one we cannot lose, but may get worse before it gets better.

The time for Brohm has passed. I'll admit, after yesterday's debacle, he certainly looks like a viable option. However, due to the state we are in an Orange blood infusion is needed more than ever. I'm willing to sacrifice some wins to re-establish some Tennessee values. Let Cutcliffe take over, and let Tee be a coach-in-waiting. There will he immediate support for that, where a hire like Brohm, wise as it may be, will produce fan apathy like we've not yet experienced.

Reactions: 28 people

I sent my emails to appropriate UT personnel FWIW. Thanks for what you do. :hi:

Let us know how we can help the most

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back