O/U win total 7.5

Under. Way under. Lets look at the schedule:

Tennessee Tech, Bowling Green, and South Alabubba - should be wins (3)

Alabubba, uga, Florida, Pitt, Missouri, and Ole Miss are losses (6)

That gives us a need to sweep South Carolina, Vandy, and Kentucky - then steal one from the loss list, THEN steal another to make 8.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Reactions: Catbone and kbear01
Holy f$%k! I'll definitely take the under. I'll be happy with 4-5 wins. This season.

That gives us a need to sweep South Carolina, Vandy, and Kentucky - then steal one from the loss list, THEN steal another to make 8.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Definite Wins: S Ala, BG, Tenn Tech(3)
Definite Losses: @bama, UGA, @Florida(3)

Probable Losses: @Missouri, Ole Miss (2)
Probable Wins: Vandy (1)

Toss ups: @UK, USC (2)

Win the games we should win (4), and the toss-ups (2), win a bowl game.

Really figured it would be 7. I think we go 7-5 but 8-4 isn't out of the realm of possibility but neither is 6-6. I do think this bunch is going to fight hard, of course I am always a glass half full guy. I think despite many loses, this team isn't as depleted of talent as it seems. How fast we can pick things up will be big. I am fully excited about the season and just getting better. No matter the record the eye test of getting better and being competitive and winning as many as we can. GBO!!!!

One thing about this season is for sure we will see something that we have not seen since Manning and that is a QB first offense. For the first time in my 3 decades of watching Tennessee football we will not have a paint dry offense.

I’m taking the over. Bailey and Hooker are much better than we have had plus an offensive coach finally! Schedule is set for at least 8 wins! I like our receivers with this offense. Defense only needs to keep the opposing teams were under 28 & we should win a lot!

Reactions: Southeastern VFL
Agree. But if those rankings have any value at all then UT has talent... waiting on coaching. I'm anxious to see if this staff shows they're able to get at least the sum of the talent on the roster out of the roster. It would be nice to finally have a coach who gets more than the sum of the roster on the field.

Jones underperformed the talent on the roster in each of his 5 years. Pruitt did as well. Dooley had the one year when he came close. Kiffin is the last guy IMO to get more from the roster than the sum of its talent... and much of that credit goes to Monte. I think people often overlook the near miracle he pulled with that D.
His run game with the 2 walk on twins playing on a patchwork offensive line and a complete turnaround of Crompton was pretty impressive too. I realize Chaney and Cregg get some credit there as well but Kiffins offense was gonna only get better had he stayed. Sure wished we'd have at least tried to bring him back this last go around.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Tennessee Tech, Bowling Green, and South Bama = 3-0

Bama, UGA, Florida..............................................................= 0-3

SC, Vandy, Kentucky ........................................................= 2-1

Pitt, Missouri, Ole Piss ...................................................... = 1-2

Total.............................................................................................. = 6-6

I would be way down under on that bet. I would have KY in the loss column as I see no reason we should beat them after the destruction they laid upon last year. Five wins is the best outcome I see for us.

On that note I am sick and tired of the VOLS being an almost assured W for every program of even semi-relevancy that we schedule.

Reactions: Border Vol
Definite Wins: S Ala, BG, Tenn Tech(3)
Definite Losses: @bama, UGA, @Florida(3)

Probable Losses: @Missouri, Ole Miss (2)
Probable Wins: Vandy (1)

Toss ups: @UK, USC (2)

Win the games we should win (4), and the toss-ups (2), win a bowl game.
Tennessee plays Pitt in Knoxville and that could be a L

His run game with the 2 walk on twins playing on a patchwork offensive line and a complete turnaround of Crompton was pretty impressive too. I realize Chaney and Cregg get some credit there as well but Kiffins offense was gonna only get better had he stayed. Sure wished we'd have at least tried to bring him back this last go around.
Kiffin wasn't the right guy in a lot of different ways.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Kiffin wasn't the right guy in a lot of different ways.
Eh. Maybe back then. I think hes learned a lot since then though. When compared to the 3 that came after him, there's no comparison, from a coaching standpoint. We shall see with this newest hire.

Tennessee Tech, Bowling Green, and South Bama = 3-0

Bama, UGA, Florida..............................................................= 0-3

SC, Vandy, Kentucky ........................................................= 2-1

Pitt, Missouri, Ole Piss ...................................................... = 1-2

Total.............................................................................................. = 6-6

Looks about right. Sad to be a Vol fan and be accepting of 6-6. But, UT hasn't been relevant since when.

Reactions: kbear01
Eh. Maybe back then. I think hes learned a lot since then though. When compared to the 3 that came after him, there's no comparison, from a coaching standpoint. We shall see with this newest hire.
Last time Kiffin stepped up in competition USCw fired him. You can never trust him. He never respected UT. You don't remember him trying to change traditions to emulate USC? The worst though is that he believed you HAD to cheat to get the player to win at UT. That's not what UT needs right now.

Not going to bet against the Vols, but if I weren't a fan I would hammer the under. Hard to see our wins improving YoY with Question mark at QB, new coaching/implementing a system/ and a lot of talent that left the program.

UT should beat the 4 OOC opponents, Vandy, and USCe (which is a bigger mess than UT. That leaves Ole Miss, UK, and Mizzou. I don't really think that 2 out of those 3 is "too much".
I don’t think you can just assume we win the 4 out of conference games plus Vandy and S Carolina. We could easily find a way to lose 1 or 2 of those.

Reactions: BigOrangeFanatic
Why do people say Missouri is a loss. Our dis functional team beat them 35-12 last year. At worse this would be a tossup game.

Even last year, they improved after our game, we regressed. If we had played them at the end of the year they would have trashed us. Add to that a roster meltdown and new staff, and I see MO as a loss.

I don’t think you can just assume we win the 4 out of conference games plus Vandy and S Carolina. We could easily find a way to lose 1 or 2 of those.
The operative word is "should". UT has more talent those teams. Vandy is awful. USCe is not loaded with talent and is a big mess.

UT could go 0-12. They by some miracle could go 12-0. But dealing with likelihoods based on talent.... UT is better than those six teams and no worse than equal the other 3. That's not a prediction of what WILL happen but an attempt at an objective assessment of relative talent.

This is the time of year... every year... when folks here become internally focused. It is easy to forget that right now all of these teams are dealing with problems and depth chart holes of their own. Some are worse than UT's issues. But that can give you an overly negative or positive view.

The schedule this fall is a break for Heupel. Pitt is a middling ACC team... but they aren't OU, Michigan, or even WVU from a couple of years ago. BGSU has won six games in the last 4 years. So Alabama has won 13 games in the last 4 years. TTU is FCS. It really, honestly get any better than that for an OOC schedule at UT. Catching 3 of those games leading up to UF is just about perfect as far as developing the roster and installing the schemes. The bye week is almost perfectly positioned between Bama and UK.

I'm going to ask you to think about something. What has been the primary reason UT has struggled with UK lately? Is it really talent or is it playing down to their level? Was it low scoring, "safe", play not to lose offense that played perfectly into UK's strengths? They want to play slow. They want a game where someone gets in the mud and wrestles with them. If you have an O that scores points quickly... it takes them out of their comfort zone.

This may be the year they get "explosive" on O. I suspect however that they will continue to be traditional run O.

Reactions: Samthebam

VN Store

Back