North Korea USA Summit

You think they talked about North Korea's labor camps or nah?
Nope... nada, and at this juncture he should not. He is giving Kim every opportunity to do the first right thing for his country.

Oh... make no mistake his day of reckoning is out there... but just not right now.

Reactions: NEO and BigOrangeD
The new White House press secretary, Stephanie Grisham, got into a scuffle with North Korean officials on Sunday during a chaotic scene outside a meeting room where US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un talked privately.
A source at the scene said Grisham got in "an all out brawl" with North Korean officials as American and North Korean reporters were hustled in to view the summit. Grisham was bruised a bit in the scuffle, the source added.
Stephanie Grisham in North Korea: White House press secretary bruised in scuffle with officials - CNNPolitics
They said she was tough. She may be a Bronx Brawler to boot. :)

Cultural psychology...

Everything the President is doing, his whole current approach to NK, is about allowing Kim to save face with his own people. It's the only way Kim is going to be willing to come to the table. It's baby steps here folks, little teeny tiny baby steps to get to an end result.

Saving face - The concept is a core social value in Asian cultures, among others. The meaning has remained stable across time. Saving Face signifies a desire -- or defines a strategy -- to avoid humiliation or embarrassment, to maintain dignity or preserve reputation.

Reactions: malinoisvol
I thought it was most significant when the President of South Korea set foot in North Korea. I also don’t recall anyone having a conniption over that

Reactions: McDad and ajvol01
I thought it was most significant when the President of South Korea set foot in North Korea. I also don’t recall anyone having a conniption over that
Maybe we should invite him to the States and put him up in Trump Tower.

It's absolutely wonderful that he finally got to meet his Aunt living in NK because of that happening.

Peace? Peace is just a word that can quickly turn. We need denuclearazation.

Rocketman is playing the Dotard like a fiddle.

So you would prefer to go back to total blackout on communications with NK and pre-conditions for any meetings, like the last President? Or are you suggesting another course of action? Which do you think has a better chance of success, total blackout or openness both with sanctions? If he watched the debates last week he is probably thinking he will wait and see if any of them win before make a final decision. I would.

Kim is never, ever going to give up his nukes and anybody thinking otherwise is either naive or disingenuous. Only a regime change to moderation will change that and does anybody really see that happening in the near future?

Best case scenario is to ultimately get Kim to ease the stranglehold on his own people, ease geographical tensions and NK at some point and time becomes a cooperative functioning member of international society.

None of which is going to happen overnight and that isn't going to play well in the world of instant gratification.

Peace? Peace is just a word that can quickly turn. We need denuclearazation.

Rocketman is playing the Dotard like a fiddle.

Kim believes his only deterrent against the West is is his ability to devastate the South and maybe Japan. He isn't going to give up his nukes. He might say he will....but he won't.

Reactions: Septic and McDad
The lack of hope & faith with this historic event that just happened coming from our resident liberals is disturbing.

To say nothing has come from the dialogue between the two is wrong North Korea released a number of Korean American prisoners. Remember that late night in May of 2018 when the President & First Lady met them when they returned to the U.S. It's also disrespectful to the family's that had the remains of American soldiers returned to them after 65 to 70 years.

We have to hope that something good eventually happens and it might go a while before that happens but continued talks is better than the alternative.

While what happened to the American college student was sad and should never have happened what President Trump is doing is hopefully making it where that never happens again.

Reactions: DynaLo
If you’re being honest you can’t ignore the progress towards peace.

Only if you're accepting North Korea into the club of nuclear-armed states now.

I guess if you decide that North Korea will have nukes and you might as well make the best of it, than this is one route to go.

Only if you're accepting North Korea into the club of nuclear-armed states now.

I guess if you decide that North Korea will have nukes and you might as well make the best of it, than this is one route to go.

That nuclear cow got out of the barn many years ago and it's never going back in without extreme global violence.

Bringing Kim to the table is a first small step in improving that which can be improved upon.

That nuclear cow got out of the barn many years ago and it's never going back in without extreme global violence.

Bringing Kim to the table is a first small step in improving that which can be improved upon.

It wasn't too long ago that we were talking fire and fury over North Korea's weapons program. They have not given up one weapon.

At any rate, I suspect China is orchestrating what's happening there much more than the U.S. is.

Kim doesn’t want to be the hermit king anymore. He wants a seat at the big boy table and on the main stage....not Russian and China’s little wacko who is used to saber rattle anymore.

He sees the prosperity SK has and wants that.

I've never expected NK to fold to the pressures of giving up their nukes once they had them and I agree that China is behind a lot of what we're seeing. They'll never let NK change much and certainly won't let a regime change occur once Kim passes on. It would be ssdd with a new name at the helm.

I don't know what we'll see out this. Will the talks be somewhat fruitful over time or completely fruitless? After decades of the standoff history has witnessed it's a least a glimmer of hope in the darkness and I'm pretty happy to at least see that spark of light.

I've never expected NK to fold to the pressures of giving up their nukes once they had them and I agree that China is behind a lot of what we're seeing. They'll never let NK change much and certainly won't let a regime change occur once Kim passes on.

Interesting to see what cooperation may be going on between the Koreas, and how game China is with that.

VN Store

Back