Non-Lady Vol news 2018-19

Mechelle Voepel on Twitter

AEH given immediate eligibility for MSST . Just shook up the SEC in a big way for MSST .

I don't think so. I think the SEC was theirs to lose. This just makes them an even bigger favorite. If Promise Taylor gets eligibility ( and frankly, she should out of fairness), I'd say they are a lock.

Watching them last night, they really struggled in the first quarter. No one outside of Anriel or Teaira scored until the very end of the quarter. But once their perimeter players heated up, they steamrolled. Their freshman PG is going to be really good for them this year. Coupled with AEH, that will make it an unwise decision to clog the lane. I guess the question is if they can play defense, or if they will need to substitute offense for defense when the starting guards come out.

I don't think so. I think the SEC was theirs to lose. This just makes them an even bigger favorite. If Promise Taylor gets eligibility ( and frankly, she should out of fairness), I'd say they are a lock.

Watching them last night, they really struggled in the first quarter. No one outside of Anriel or Teaira scored until the very end of the quarter. But once their perimeter players heated up, they steamrolled. Their freshman PG is going to be really good for them this year. Coupled with AEH, that will make it an unwise decision to clog the lane. I guess the question is if they can play defense, or if they will need to substitute offense for defense when the starting guards come out.

Agreed Promise should get a waiver as well , they might as well go away with the transfer rule now . But MSST just became harder to beat for my LV's im excited for the challenge

Reactions: Amb3096
Yeah, let's see how quickly she gets up to speed, that was a nice pickup, cos watching MSU exhibition game, they looked vulnerable.

They need her, they guards look like our guards last year.

The teams who guards play the best wins league??

Shes been playing in scrimmages and practicing with the team so i doubt she needs to catch up . She scored 30 i believe a few weeks ago in a scrimmage

Agreed Promise should get a waiver as well , they might as well go away with the transfer rule now . But MSST just became harder to beat for my LV's im excited for the challenge

I don't know the specifics for why Andra let go. All I know is that Geno trashed her in an interview or something and said he wanted her gone. How that plays into immediate eligibility is anyone's guess.

Promise should not be penalized because of Ole Miss' coaching change. She flat out said she was transferring because of program changes. I don't buy that crap that a player commits to a school, not the coach. The coach is the one they build the trust and relationship with, and in my opinion, a coaching change should allow for immediate eligibility if a player elects to transfer. I think the transfer rule is needed, but should be more transparent in cases like Andra or Shepard at ND. Otherwise, you'd have a bunch of assassins for hire, and some shady coaching shenanigans to get players to transfer.

I think we give them a run for their money, I can’t see Green and KK with their physicality letting McCowan dominate the paint. I believe that game will come down to how well the guards play against each other.

I'm not convinced the championship will go through Starkville. I think they have a good coach but lost too much talent. Vivians-type players don't grow on trees. Maybe Hunter will morph into that type of player....maybe not.

Reactions: SCspur
I think we give them a run for their money, I can’t see Green and KK with their physicality letting McCowan dominate the paint. I believe that game will come down to how well the guards play against each other.

Only if they turn the MSST guards over, and their three primary ball handlers all take very good care of the basketball. Holmes in particular has an excellent ATO ratio. If they let them shoot, MSST has the two best rebounders in the SEC to clean up the misses. No way Green or KK slows Teaira down. They don't have the size (or conditioning, in KK's case) to stop her from getting to her spots.

The UCONN board is full of bullsh*tters , now that she is eligible to play they are all acting like they dont know why she got dismissed or what geno said about her during her dismissal . Those ppl never fail to amaze me with their attitudes smh

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Ive heard that he (Geno) always knew he was going to get Christyn Williams and went ahead and over recruited AEH . So it was an easy decision to let her go , but of course coaches wont admit . He knew she was never going to get PT and most likely regretting giving her a scholarship so he took it back smh

I'm not convinced the championship will go through Starkville. I think they have a good coach but lost too much talent. Vivians-type players don't grow on trees. Maybe Hunter will morph into that type of player....maybe not.

They lost Vivians. The production from the other three can be compensated for. It's not like they were All Americans. Plus they have McCowan back.

Since each of the top SEC teams lost significant components of their team, it's no surprise that MSST was chosen as the favorite. They have best returning player, got an all conference player in Howard, and enough support and experience to make up for the graduated players.

The UCONN board is full of bullsh*tters , now that she is eligible to play they are all acting like they dont know why she got dismissed or what geno said about her during her dismissal . Those ppl never fail to amaze me with their attitudes smh

They are the worst. I'm hoping they strike out on Jones and Boston so they can sweat next season with an unproven roster. It will be especially sweeter if Andra ends up doing really well at MSST.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
They are the worst. I'm hoping they strike out on Jones and Boston so they can sweat next season with an unproven roster. It will be especially sweeter if Andra ends up doing really well at MSST.

Yeah ill be rooting for the kid hella hard this season . That fan base is utterly despicable.

I really like the Mississippi State guards, and they are only going to get better. Myah Taylor is going to become and all-SEC player, IMO. I think Bibby will be a big difference maker too this year. Wiggins is very talented as well. They won’t struggle at guard like some think they will this year. The addition of AEH is just icing on the cake for them. Will be an interesting year in the SEC. We could still win it. Gonna be a fun year I think.

Last edited:

Nice post.

I don't think she going to morph into that efficient player this year, when this is going to be her first year in the SEC!

She might be good, but I don't think she gonna be Vivians consistent type good. this year.

My opinion on Middleton is that the coaching staff had already determined her limitations as a player both defensively and offensively. Of course as a coaching staff you want to push all players to get better but you see things physically that other players might easily get to and others that just don't have it. JMO Middleton was an asset offensively three point shooter, but did not have the speed or ability to guard SEC quality perimeter players. The athletic ability was not there so I wish her well think she made the right decision to leave wasn't gonna get anything more than she already was getting here.

Reactions: Ladyvol777
Now who looks like the UConn fanbase?

Right??? Alexa may not have been the most athletic player, but I doubt she was worse than Blair Schaefer. Somehow, Blair was taught how to play defense against players that were bigger and faster than her, and she did it well enough that MSST was able to get to the NC game the last two years. Alexa was a smart player. I remember the game against Florida where she picked up the 3rd and 4th foul on Ronni Williams by anticipating where Williams was going off the dribble and beating her to the spot to draw the charge. Twice.

ESPN #13/PN #16, Breanna Beal, 6’1” wing from Rock Island, IL, announcing her school choice today at 2:00 est. Selecting between Illinois, Louisville, Michigan, and South Carolina.

ESPN #13/PN #16, Brea Beal, 6’1” wing from Rock Island, IL, announcing her school choice today at 2:00 est. Selecting between Illinois, Louisville, Michigan, and South Carolina.

If SC gets her, they are shaping up to have a nice looking haul for next season.

Brown and Cox are underrated, as is Collier. I'd take KLS over Durr too, though I might be wrong with that.

is Ionescu really the best player in the country? I will admit that I haven't watched much of her game.

She broke the NCAA record for most triple doubles by the end of her sophomore year. Her court vision and passing is outstanding, she scores alot (and at a high %age) from all over the court, incredible rebounder for a guard, and a pretty good defensive player.

She's as much a magical unicorn in WCBB as exists today.

VN Store

Back