Next year's roster

Promised? Can’t say I recall Barnes ever saying “I promise we will have a 7 second scoring offense every year”.
Splitting hairs? He's always talked about wanting it since he's been here. Every season he complains about guys walking the ball. Looks like he's got guys next season that won't be doing much walking. But, then again he said the same about SV this season.

Reactions: sport3500
Splitting hairs? He's always talked about wanting it since he's been here. Every season he complains about guys walking the ball. Looks like he's got guys next season that won't be doing much walking. But, then again he said the same about SV this season.

We played pretty damn fast last year under Bone...also don’t recall him saying we would be 7 second offense under SV this season, believe he talked about wanting him to look to push but also needing him to take care of the ball. Ever think the 7 second thing is a reality he knows isn’t plausible, but in getting guys TRYING to play that fast they in turn do speed up what they were previously doing, which might ultimately be all he was trying to achieve?

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Well, they should have to eat crow lol. We’ll see on Plavsic, I sincerely hope I’m wrong and he pans out to be a serviceable big man for us. That would be huge moving forward.
Plavisc will benefit a ton playing the early season schedule. Learning the feel for the game, taking contact. Being comfortable. He'll be fine. He's likely never going to be a 20 minute a game guy, but if he can give you a solid 8-12 minutes that will be a huge benefit to keeping Fulk and Pons fresh. With Anosike coming in I'd put that number more like 6-10 minutes.

Reactions: berryvol
We needed the 7-second offense this past year. With Springer, Keon, Bailey, and the experience that James and Vescovi have gained and with Fulkerson, Pons, and Anosike inside we're going to be far more of a threat in the half court. Plus EJ should get a few offensive rebounds that were often rare gets in 2020.

We needed the 7-second offense this past year. With Springer, Keon, Bailey, and the experience that James and Vescovi have gained and with Fulkerson, Pons, and Anosike inside we're going to be far more of a threat in the half court. Plus EJ should get a few offensive rebounds that were often rare gets in 2020.
The available players who can handle the ball and score will be unprecedented. Barnes’ teams have run out of gas. This roster should t have that problem.

Starting lineup could include so many combinations so I'm not listing the first as starters necessarily since our 1-3 spots are so versatile and could end up with any combination, I'm just thinking depth chart

PG: Vescovi, Bailey, Springer, JJJ
SG: Springer, Keon, Bailey, JJJ, Gaines
SF: JJJ, Keon, Walker, Gaines,
PF: Pons, EJ, Walker, ORN
C: Fulky, Uros, EJ, ORN

Redshirt (imo): Pember
Possible redshirt: ORN or Gaines
I just don't see enough minutes to not redshirt at least 2 players (baring no injury) this upcoming season
Others opinions?

I would try my best to redshirt all 3.

I don’t see any way we have 3 redshirts. That’s almost unheard of in basketball. I see no reason to redshirt Gaines given what he can do defensively.

I don’t see any way we have 3 redshirts. That’s almost unheard of in basketball. I see no reason to redshirt Gaines given what he can do defensively.
I agree, im not suggesting that they all 3 redshirt next year, im just saying they all could benefit from one but yes I agree Gaines could definitily help us next year.

This. It will almost certainly be 0 unless a rare case of a non-freshman taking a non-medical RS without transferring happens.

Good point and Gaines has earned cred with his defense, but when you start putting minutes and positions down there is only so much time to give. At best Gaines may only get 6-8 minutes per game at this point. Vescovi, James and Springer will all get minutes at PG. Springer, Bailey and maybe Johnson get minutes at 2G. James, Johnson, perhaps Pons (when playing a big lineup) and Walker (may get some minutes at both 3 and 4...but still not a lot of minutes). The only place Gaines has a spot IMO is spare minutes at the 2G....and not that many to go around, unless Bailey isn’t any good (which I doubt). Honestly I don’t see anyone who needs to play over 28 minutes per game at PG, 2G or SF. We are going to be deep.

The only two I think get 28 minutes on the entire team is Fulkerson and Springer. This year we had basically 5-6 guys average 30+ per game. I doubt anyone plays that much next year. Pember is almost a sure-fire redshirt and ORN could use it too with Anosike on-board. Possible for Gaines unless he improves his shot significantly and overall is better than Johnson or Bailey. Based on comments from others Johnson already may be our best perimeter defender the minute he walks on campus and Bailey has good % from 3 pt range (we need shooters) and is an excellent athlete himself.

Best case scenario, imo, ON improves, especially as a true power forward (inside offensive game, rebounds, occasional block, box out his man even if he can't get the board, give some hard and hustle fouls) and UT can redshirt Gaines (and please not piss him off and he transfers) and Pember. I think all 3 players will be productive SEC players, eventually with Gaines having a NBA ceiling. Of course, I've been known to get a little carried away

Pember reshirts for sure.

They will have 12 scholarship players available. Right now the rotation will be:

Fulky
Pons
Vescovi
JJJ
Springer
Johnson
Anosike

Those seven guys will get the most minutes. Then the battle for the backup center spot will be between Plavsic and ORN. Then Gaines, Bailey and Walker will battle for some minutes. Then Pember redshirts.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

They will have 12 scholarship players available. Right now the rotation will be:

Fulky
Pons
Vescovi
JJJ
Springer
Johnson
Anosike

Those seven guys will get the most minutes. Then the battle for the backup center spot will be between Plavsic and ORN. Then Gaines, Bailey and Walker will battle for some minutes. Then Pember redshirts.

I think that Bailey will be getting big minutes.

Fulky
Pons
Vescovi
JJJ
Springer
Johnson
Anosike

Unless ORN is blowing Plavsic out of the water, you have to play the big guy. You can’t teach his size and maybe an offseason with Barnes and he can be a contributor at that backup spot.

I think that Bailey will be getting big minutes.

I would have agreed before Vescovi. Unless Bailey is some sort of elite defender I don’t think he is going to get 15 mpg. Vescovi will be getting most of those

I can see that too, but when was the last time Uros played competitively before January?

He has been in a high level college program since Summer of 2018. I know it's not the same but he's 21 and he isn't athletic at all and he runs stiff. I mean he's a seven footer so I'm not saying he will amount to absolutely nothing but the idea he could improve like a Fulkerson or become a dominant paint force just won't happen. He's not talented enough. And that's okay, he could still be something. But he has a lot of work to do while ORN is 19 and was a true freshman this year.

Reactions: Vols All Day

Fulky
Pons
Vescovi
JJJ
Springer
Johnson
Anosike

I look for one of ORN or Plavsic improving quite a bit. ORN can rebound and can move so that would be my bet. I do think Plavsic will take several steps, as well.

Good point and Gaines has earned cred with his defense, but when you start putting minutes and positions down there is only so much time to give. At best Gaines may only get 6-8 minutes per game at this point. Vescovi, James and Springer will all get minutes at PG. Springer, Bailey and maybe Johnson get minutes at 2G. James, Johnson, perhaps Pons (when playing a big lineup) and Walker (may get some minutes at both 3 and 4...but still not a lot of minutes). The only place Gaines has a spot IMO is spare minutes at the 2G....and not that many to go around, unless Bailey isn’t any good (which I doubt). Honestly I don’t see anyone who needs to play over 28 minutes per game at PG, 2G or SF. We are going to be deep.

The only two I think get 28 minutes on the entire team is Fulkerson and Springer. This year we had basically 5-6 guys average 30+ per game. I doubt anyone plays that much next year. Pember is almost a sure-fire redshirt and ORN could use it too with Anosike on-board. Possible for Gaines unless he improves his shot significantly and overall is better than Johnson or Bailey. Based on comments from others Johnson already may be our best perimeter defender the minute he walks on campus and Bailey has good % from 3 pt range (we need shooters) and is an excellent athlete himself.
JJJ will lead the team in minutes played next year I feel. He's our most valuable backcourt player and I think the offense will run through him and Fulkerson the majority of the time. Your best all-around player generally gets the most minutes and JJJs all around play will keep him on the floor, plus he and Pons are the most physically ready of the team to handle the minutes. Springer and Vescovi will share a bunch of minutes at the 1 and 2, Johnson will get most of the 3 spot's minutes and obviously Fulky and Pons will dominate the 4 & 5 minutes. I don't think we'll see many minutes that have Springer, Vescovi and Johnson on the floor together thus JJJ is going to get minutes at the 1, 2, 3 and 4 spot.

JJJ will lead the team in minutes played next year I feel. He's our most valuable backcourt player and I think the offense will run through him and Fulkerson the majority of the time. Your best all-around player generally gets the most minutes and JJJs all around play will keep him on the floor, plus he and Pons are the most physically ready of the team to handle the minutes. Springer and Vescovi will share a bunch of minutes at the 1 and 2, Johnson will get most of the 3 spot's minutes and obviously Fulky and Pons will dominate the 4 & 5 minutes. I don't think we'll see many minutes that have Springer, Vescovi and Johnson on the floor together thus JJJ is going to get minutes at the 1, 2, 3 and 4 spot.
I’m not sure VW sure how much back court he plays with Bailey, Vescovi and Springer. He’s a great rebounder and I feel will be an asset.

VN Store

Back