Next year's roster

Springer/Vescovi
Keon/Bailey
JJJ/Walker
Pons/Anosike
Fulk/Anosike

ON and Plavsic are the 10th and 11th men, with plenty of chances to prove me wrong and I hope they do.

Hoping Gaines and Pember redshirt, but if either one don't, I believe they will have chances to play their way into the rotation. Especially, Gaines, imo. Wouldn't be surprised if ON redshirted, either. At least, one of those 3 redshirts, imo, hopefully 2.

This team should be so loaded. U know, sometimes when people talk about Kansas, UK, UNC and Duke's 2nd team could make the Tournament ? Next year, I think UTs 2nd team could
Nope

If those 4-6 minutes win us games I'm okay with it and I think Gaines would be too. Every minute matters in rotations on championship teams. If we were in the mix for it all and he was playing 4-6 valuable minutes, then it's definitely worth it.
I respect that, I guess it just depends on if we want to go all in for next season or hold out for future seasons. But I agree, I would have no problem at all him playing next year and helping us win games.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
People saying Gaines will redshirt are wrong. Kid is skinny yes, but so was JP Prince all 4 years in college. I think the 2 are very comparable in terms of size, skill, and defensive intensity. I think Gaines ceiling is being a 9ppg 7apg 7rpg 2bpg 2spg guy just like JP was. Can’t score a lot without a good shot but work on the things he’s beat at!

People saying Gaines will redshirt are wrong. Kid is skinny yes, but so was JP Prince all 4 years in college. I think the 2 are very comparable in terms of size, skill, and defensive intensity. I think Gaines ceiling is being a 9ppg 7apg 7rpg 2bpg 2spg guy just like JP was. Can’t score a lot without a good shot but work on the things he’s beat at!
When I say I think its best for him to redshirt, its definitely not a knock at Gaines at all, the kid can play and I think he is going to be a great player for UT by the time he leaves. I just don't want to lose a year of eligibility of him barely playing when he has Bailey, JJJ, Springer, Keon all ahead of him on the depth chart, however if he doesn't redshirt and helps us win games next year im all for that as well.

Reactions: The Dog
JP’s best was 9/3/4/1/1

This. The mythical legend that was JP Prince continues to grow by the day. He was a good player, but the status he holds with some fans is overblown, IMO.
Yeah, I liked Prince a lot, but those numbers are way overinflated, except for maybe the points. Prince was awesome in the 2010 tournament, and his averages were 15/4/4/1/1. That 1 block in the Ohio St game was epic though!

Yeah, I liked Prince a lot, but those numbers are way overinflated, except for maybe the points. Prince was awesome in the 2010 tournament, and his averages were 15/4/4/1/1. That 1 block in the Ohio St game was epic though!
Yeah, that last blaze of glory in the NCAAT seems to have bought him some undue status. He was a decent player and a really good defender when he wanted to be, but offensively was more of a jack of all trades, master of none.

He also missed most of his senior season, may not get to enroll early in the summer, and will therefore miss summer workouts with the team. He also plays out of our deepest position. I won't be at all surprised if he doesn't.
He's the only true 2/3 guy on the team, if he's healthy he will play.

The probable starting five for next season

PG= Bailey
SG= Vescovi
SF= James
PF= Pons
C= Fulkerson

Bench

PG= Springer
SG= Johnson
SF= Gaines
PF= Anosike
C= Plavsic

Nkamhoub and Walker will be the backups at power forward and center.

Pember will be a candidate for a possible red shirt season.

Springer/Vescovi
Keon/Bailey
JJJ/Walker
Pons/Anosike
Fulk/Anosike

ON and Plavsic are the 10th and 11th men, with plenty of chances to prove me wrong and I hope they do.

Hoping Gaines and Pember redshirt, but if either one don't, I believe they will have chances to play their way into the rotation. Especially, Gaines, imo. Wouldn't be surprised if ON redshirted, either. At least, one of those 3 redshirts, imo, hopefully 2.

This team should be so loaded. U know, sometimes when people talk about Kansas, UK, UNC and Duke's 2nd team could make the Tournament ? Next year, I think UTs 2nd team could
That's exactly how it will play out I believe. JJJ, Fulkerson and Pons will lead the team in minutes. Johnson, Anosike, Springer and Vescovi will be next, Walker and Bailey will scratch and claw for minutes followed up by Gaines, Big O, Pember and Uros. I personally feel that Big O and Pember would benefit from a redshirt season but it's hard to do after they got so many minutes this past year. I don't think it's that tough at all to guess who's going to get most of the playing time off this roster.

Reactions: The Dog
The probable starting five for next season

PG= Bailey
SG= Vescovi
SF= James
PF= Pons
C= Fulkerson

Bench

PG= Springer
SG= Johnson
SF= Gaines
PF= Anosike
C= Plavsic

Nkamhoub and Walker will be the backups at power forward and center.

Pember will be a candidate for a possible red shirt season.
Zero chance that 2 five star guys start out on the bench. Why would they come to Knoxville to be bench players when they could go to about 100 other programs and start immediately?

He will never average 7 assists, 7 RPGs or 2 blocks a game, not a chance.

I don’t think it’d be wise not to start Vescovi. I like the idea of having three guys who can distribute at the 1-3 (Vescovi, Springer, JJJ). I don’t think we appreciate how remarkable he was considering he came in half way through the season

I don’t think it’d be wise not to start Vescovi. I like the idea of having three guys who can distribute at the 1-3 (Vescovi, Springer, JJJ). I don’t think we appreciate how remarkable he was considering he came in half way through the season
This

I think Vescovi is going to be used as a scorer off the bench. Just because he had a really good season last year doesn't mean the guys coming in aren't better. You can't play them all and because of that I think the guys that perform better on the DEFENSIVE end will get the most minutes. I don't think we'll see them getting many minutes on the floor together but Barnes will always have either Springer or Vescovi on the floor, they'll be interchangeable I think.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I think Vescovi is going to be used as a scorer off the bench. Just because he had a really good season last year doesn't mean the guys coming in aren't better. You can't play them all and because of that I think the guys that perform better on the DEFENSIVE end will get the most minutes. I don't think we'll see them getting many minutes on the floor together but Barnes will always have either Springer or Vescovi on the floor, they'll be interchangeable I think.
Well I think Vescovi showed defensive potential and improved at that end over the season. I don’t think he’ll be any sort of liability. Plus the freshman are likely going to have a shortened offseason, making it harder to make an immediate impact, especially for someone like Keon who’s come off an injury

Yeah, that last blaze of glory in the NCAAT seems to have bought him some undue status. He was a decent player and a really good defender when he wanted to be, but offensively was more of a jack of all trades, master of none.
I liked Prince and if I remember correctly when he played well, that squad was tough to beat. I absolutely recall him fouling more 3 point attempts than anyone in the history of basketball. It was maddening.

Reactions: cncchris33
I liked Prince and if I remember correctly when he played well, that squad was tough to beat. I absolutely recall him fouling more 3 point attempts than anyone in the history of basketball. It was maddening.
Yep, he made some athletic plays and then some real boneheaded ones. Good player who had some great moments.

No disrespect to James, but honestly Vescovi was the most impactful freshman on our team this year. Those December games post Turner’s injury and departure were pure agony to watch. I think Springer, Vescovi and James all start. Offense flows through Fulkerson and Springer and everyone else complements them.

VN Store

Back