Next year's roster

I wasnt comparing freshmen seasons, I was showing what a pure point guard was. Vescovi and JJJ are both turnover machines.....can be corrected, JJJ is not a PG
I guess we have different ideas of what a turnover machine is...2.8 apg and 2.6 TO is kinda of an even draw. But to each thier own...

Maybe the best definition would be somebody that can be given the ball, other players clear out, and he can get the ball across midcourt against high pressure defenses without turning it over.
I would like to think that we have perimeter players regardless of position that are able to function in that manner. This is hooping after all.. Positions were only created so that a novice could follow the game.. jalen rose said it best..

I guess we have different ideas of what a turnover machine is...2.8 apg and 2.6 TO is kinda of an even draw. But to each thier own...
I look at assist to turnover ratio
Vescovi has a 1.1/1 ratio where he is averaging 4.1 assists to 3.8 turnovers
JJJ also has a 1.1/1 ratio where he is averaging 2.8 assists to 2.6 turnovers

When you starting guards are averaging almost 6.5 turnovers a game and only assisting on 6.9 shots, then they are essentially turnover machines. Tennessee currently ranks 113 in the nation in assist to turnover ratio, where they are averaging 13.9 turnovers a game versus 14.9 assists a game. The freshmen will get better, I do believe that, but some of the turnovers they have made this late in the season are what a middleschool kid would make not a D1 college freshman. A college point guard should have at least a 3/1 ratio and a college wing should be at 2/1. I do appreciate the discussion though.....

Fulkerson and Pons are the 2 starters if they stay.

Springer, Bailey, Keon Johnson and James with a possibility or Walker make the other 3 by January

Vescovi starts early but will be off the bench later unless his D improves.

Plavsic, Orn, Johnson and Gaines

Pember redshirts and it will help him and us down the road

The term "true" point guard is a bit wild at times. Maybe a distinction of pass-first vs. shoot-first is better but you can probably differentiate a pass-first vs. shoot-first PG using a combination of AST% and USG% but it's not clear where to draw the line always. Personally I don't think there's one style between shoot-first and pass-first that is better, and clearly you can be a very successful point guard either way. We are extremely lucky to get to see the different play styles of point guards but the ability to run the court, control the game, and lead the team (in some capacity) to victory is plenty PG for me.
I would define a PG as the main ball handler. One who brings the ball up the court and gets the team in its offensive set. They need to be good passer and able to breakdown a defender off the dribble.

I would define a PG as the main ball handler. One who brings the ball up the court and gets the team in its offensive set. They need to be good passer and able to breakdown a defender off the dribble.
That's the idea. But at this level why shouldn't we expect to have multiple guys on the court at once who possess the ability to move the ball from end to end? Can we not get out and run off a missed shot until the PG touches the ball? Should we take a SC violation because the PG is being denied the ball and unable to initiate our sets? I understand what the role of a PG is (trust) but this notion that we can't do anything unless we have the ball in said hands is one of the reasons why and where we are currently

Reactions: Vols All Day
That's the idea. But at this level why shouldn't we expect to have multiple guys on the court at once who possess the ability to move the ball from end to end? Can we not get out and run off a missed shot until the PG touches the ball? Should we take a SC violation because the PG is being denied the ball and unable to initiate our sets? I understand what the role of a PG is (trust) but this notion that we can't do anything unless we have the ball in said hands is one of the reasons why and where we are currently
It looks like we will next year with Bailey, Vescovi, Springer.

The reality is what sounds simple isn’t so simple. I know how many years UT struggled to have a true point. A PG has to be unflappable when being pressured. The fact is there just aren’t that many great PGs. It took Bone until year three.

It looks like we will next year with Bailey, Vescovi, Springer.

The reality is what sounds simple isn’t so simple. I know how many years UT struggled to have a true point. A PG has to be unflappable when being pressured. The fact is there just aren’t that many great PGs. It took Bone until year three.
Agreed with next year having more bodies being able to do so but we're moving towards the era of positionless basketball. We miss bone in the worst way right now

Walker is a small forward scoring machine.

The 3 freshmen and Bailey will get a lot of minutes.
Vescovi and James will be pulled early and often if they keep up the turnovers and bad defense

My concern is we haven't addressed our teams biggest weaknesses. Inside presence and smaller guards that can stay in front of their man and handle the rock. We should be a good team just based on overall talent but some of our problems may not be solved.

Reactions: Vols All Day
My concern is we haven't addressed our teams biggest weaknesses. Inside presence and smaller guards that can stay in front of their man and handle the rock. We should be a good team just based on overall talent but some of our problems may not be solved.

I think Keon and Springer will be able to guard opposing point guards, if you’re referring to the couple 5’7” jitter bugs we might run across those are an exception, but I don’t think perimeter defense will be a struggle.

Also, Fulk is one of the more efficient post scorers in the league, I wouldn’t necessarily say that’s a major weakness...and according to analytics it definitely is not, perimeter shooting would be considered a bigger weakness.

Reactions: sport3500
I think Keon and Springer will be able to guard opposing point guards, if you’re referring to the couple 5’7” jitter bugs we might run across those are an exception, but I don’t think perimeter defense will be a struggle.

Also, Fulk is one of the more efficient post scorers in the league, I wouldn’t necessarily say that’s a major weakness...and according to analytics it definitely is not, perimeter shooting would be considered a bigger weakness.
Fulk is going to have to put on some legit mass. And good grief he’s taken what, one three all year?

Fulk is a good player but we need a physical post player to mix in.

Yeah, he’s played enough PG, now, that I think he can safely be considered a PG, which is probably his NBA position. He is definitely a scoring guard, but he is a very good passer, as well, and he has a good deal of experience playing the position l, now.

He reminds me a lot of Derrick Rose at Memphis. The size, driving ability, athleticism...all similar, plus, Springer is already a much better defender.

Yeah, he looks like he can play point, to me. He looks he can rival Vescovi for no look passes. I think we will be fine at all positions if everyone returns and stays healthy. We may not be all world at the 5 position, but I think we will be fine.

First game starters could change drastically by Christmas before SEC IMO

Fulky
Pons
Vescovi
JJJ
Springer

VN Store

Back