Next year's roster

Unless injury or something crazy happens, SV is on track to be one of the top 5 pg’s in the SEC next season. He’s still got a lot of room for improvement, but the progress he’s accomplished in 2 months is amazing and he’s still got plenty of upside. PG “should” be in good shape next season, especially if one of the incoming freshmen can provide 10-15 minutes a game.

What we’re lacking are good shooters who can score. Hopefully there’s a couple showing up.

It is said by basketball junkies who cover the high schools and AAU that Keon will be an Alpha on the D End. With our lineup we will play alot of 4 guard looks and even sometimes play Pons at the 5 . I defiantly expect Rick to trap more on D end some 3/4 1/2 and even 1/4 court trap. Very deep team next year except the 5 spot unless Uros makes big improvement which could happen. My take is we should compete for SEC championship regular and tournament and push to be a Top 10 team all year.

Walker is a post...ORN and Pember are freshman, Plavsic a sophomore...I understand you are gonna say all 3 suck but if you track guys who have stayed here under Barnes they usually turn out decent, guessing those guys develop.

Plavsic is a freshman but Wikipedia shows he's a sophomore. Sports Reference only has stats for the current year. I think that utsports.com has it right... RS FR, even though he'll have an AARP card before his eligibility is used up.

Reactions: gainesvol82
It will be interesting seeing Vescovi and James surrounded by all this talent. I think it will open their game up a lot .

That's what I've been thinking. That's a good way to phrase it. JJJ is going to have a lot more assists when Keon or Jaden are on the court alongside of him.

Reactions: gainesvol82
We should temper our enthusiasm for next years team, not one of the recruits is a true point guard and they will be freshmen. JJJ has shown how a freshmen 5 star can play and be a turnover machine. We will experience some growing pains with the team. A true PG makes all the difference, will be curious to see how Vescovi develops and who will be backup PG....
Define true pg please?

Does Bailey ever play the point or is he strictly a SG? I would be shocked (and it would be a good sign of the strength of this team) if Gaines redshirts. I wouldn't be surprised if Gaines gets a start in the next game or two. I think ORN takes a big step this offseason and is a much bigger factor next year.

Springer will be the point guard. He is not typical pg, but we will want the ball in his hands.
If I was to pick one of the freshmen who could move into a back up role, then I think Springer would be the one, but he would have to learn the offense, not turn the ball over and be ready to listen to Barnes who is not easy on PGs at all.

If Springer and Johnson aren’t as good as advertised, this team is gonna struggle some, especially offensively. We will see if they add anyone in the off-season.

Short, fast, fancy dribbler that can get to the rim, hopefully a competent perimeter shooter, often a defensive liability.
The term "true" point guard is a bit wild at times. Maybe a distinction of pass-first vs. shoot-first is better but you can probably differentiate a pass-first vs. shoot-first PG using a combination of AST% and USG% but it's not clear where to draw the line always. Personally I don't think there's one style between shoot-first and pass-first that is better, and clearly you can be a very successful point guard either way. We are extremely lucky to get to see the different play styles of point guards but the ability to run the court, control the game, and lead the team (in some capacity) to victory is plenty PG for me.

The term "true" point guard is a bit wild at times. Maybe a distinction of pass-first vs. shoot-first is better but you can probably differentiate a pass-first vs. shoot-first PG using a combination of AST% and USG% but it's not clear where to draw the line always. Personally I don't think there's one style between shoot-first and pass-first that is better, and clearly you can be a very successful point guard either way. We are extremely lucky to get to see the different play styles of point guards but the ability to run the court, control the game, and lead the team (in some capacity) to victory is plenty PG for me.

Maybe the best definition would be somebody that can be given the ball, other players clear out, and he can get the ball across midcourt against high pressure defenses without turning it over.

Reactions: VolunteerCeltic
If Springer and Johnson aren’t as good as advertised, this team is gonna struggle some, especially offensively. We will see if they add anyone in the off-season.

Lose Bowden (who’s offense has struggled) and add in 3 Top 50 players, and a sit out transfer former Top 100 who was efficient offensively....return everyone else, hard to think we struggle much offensively.

Walker is a post...ORN and Pember are freshman, Plavsic a sophomore...I understand you are gonna say all 3 suck but if you track guys who have stayed here under Barnes they usually turn out decent, guessing those guys develop.
Sorry, but Pember is a tall wing. He has no physicality to his game. I’d be surprised if he finishes here. Walker is great prospect but also a bit of a tweener. I like ORN a lot. Great frame and should be able to play around 235.

We’ll see on Plavisc. He looks terrible so far. I can’t imagine he doesn’t improve. I think not getting to play the early part of the schedule really hurt his development. He never got to bang with Grant and Kyle in Practice either.

We will still be missing a true pg and power presence inside .. we have all off guards and forwards . Poor roster mgmt

To me a PG is THE ball handler that makes the players around him better by getting the ball to them at the right time and in the right spots. He doesn't have to be a big scorer, but does need to be a good free throw shooter as he will be called upon the make FTs at the end of games. Also, he needs to be able to penetrate to draw the D to him - find a good 3pt shooting team and you will also find a PG who dishes to the wide open shooters after breaking down the D. A PG is also the first line of defense and can really disrupt an O if he has the quickness, instincts and ability to do so. Hard to start an Offense when you are pushed way out by a defensive PG. Vescovi has struggled against this type of player, but has adjusted amazingly quick, IMO.

Statistically SV and JJJ and performed on par with 2 of the 3 on your post here....as freshman...
I wasnt comparing freshmen seasons, I was showing what a pure point guard was. Vescovi and JJJ are both turnover machines.....can be corrected, JJJ is not a PG

Lose Bowden (who’s offense has struggled) and add in 3 Top 50 players, and a sit out transfer former Top 100 who was efficient offensively....return everyone else, hard to think we struggle much offensively.

Well as we’ve seen this year, sometimes those top 50’s shouldn’t have high expectations apparently. So based on that, if Springer isn’t as good from day one as we hope this team will have have issues with getting the ball to the basket

Sorry, but Pember is a tall wing. He has no physicality to his game. I’d be surprised if he finishes here. Walker is great prospect but also a bit of a tweener. I like ORN a lot. Great frame and should be able to play around 235.

We’ll see on Plavisc. He looks terrible so far. I can’t imagine he doesn’t improve. I think not getting to play the early part of the schedule really hurt his development. He never got to bang with Grant and Kyle in Practice either.
He was the only recruit from last year that seemed a head-scratcher to me. Shows some potential but I don't know with the incoming freshman if he'll get any minutes next year.

VN Store

Back