New NIL Rules

SCOTUS did not ok pay for play (offering recruits money to play at X school). They gave the ok to NIL to student athletes already on campus. This isn’t a new rule and even when the new NIL rule was made, it clearly stated it was for players on campus and could not be used in recruiting. @LWSVOL is correct.

Reading through some of the wording on this, it is the schools (Presidents) driving this bus, not the NCAA. Presidents don’t want paying recruits to come to school and want to curve the tampering of offering NIL to transfer players. Will it work? Mark me down as a skeptic.

Think of this as the Texas A&M rule.

ATM rule for recruiting and USC rule for tampering, that’s your showponys.

True, because they are losing control of some of the billions they make from college kids, and they don’t like it.
They are fine with their million dollar salary and the coaches making millions.
They also don’t like the idea of all teams possibly benefiting, they like to keep their money makers at the top every year and all this NIL money and transfer portal might upset the balance.

Reactions: McMannis
True, because they are losing control of some of the billions they make from college kids, and they don’t like it.
They are fine with their million dollar salary and the coaches making millions.
They also don’t like the idea of all teams possibly benefiting, they like to keep their money makers at the top every year and all this NIL money and transfer portal might upset the balance.
Certainly don’t disagree with anything you just said but just one note. NCAA makes zero dollars from CFB. That money goes directly to the conferences. The money from games goes to the individual schools involved and the tv revenue goes to their leagues to be distributed. Same goes for bowls, the schools involved plus leagues receive that revenue.

The NCAA does make money from the NCAA Basketball Tournament, and they receive every dime. TV alone is over 100 million. Makes you think twice about why KS, AU, and the Duke’s of the world haven’t been punished when caught red handed………

Reactions: 67Vol and GVol1966
Then states began passing laws allowing NiL to be a thing. In California, high school kids can sign NiL deals. Which is good and proper, because they can work in any other industry too. Thus someone from Spyre made a big offer to Nico, which he was legally able to accept. The NCAA isn't ever going to be able to restrict someone's ability to earn money. They are toothless.
Correct, NCAA isn’t going to be able to restrict someone’s ability to receive money but they can put in guidelines before these prospects become NCAA student athletes. SCOTUS added they have that jurisdiction over pay for play. It’s going to be messy for sure.

Change you adapt or you get left behind. Right now you have a few whining and crying about it and a few that are adapting. Now the way life works a large majority of the time is if you are the one whining about the change and not adapting once that change whatever it may has fundamentally changed the entire structure landscape more times than none those that were whining don't exist in that new world that the change has created.

Ignored

Last edited:
Correct, NCAA isn’t going to be able to restrict someone’s ability to receive money but they can put in guidelines before these prospects become NCAA student athletes. SCOTUS added they have that jurisdiction over pay for play. It’s going to be messy for sure.

There's a case proceeding through Federal courts right now that the NCAA has lost in it's attempts to have it thrown out already. It's a suit regarding their ability to limit a player's NiL opportunities and pay. They will likely keep losing as it progresses. There's virtually no chance Congress steps in to limit it. It's one of the few things they all seem to agree upon. The NCAA is especially screwed, as one of the people in the lawsuit pointed out when she testified before Congress about it, every other student at her school could at the time, make money as a social media influencer. She had hundreds of thousands of followers but wasn't allowed to make a cent. She even pointed out that the school and coach made money off her via that same form of promotion and she couldn't get a penny for it. The NCAA is done as far as limiting what people can earn.

I wouldn't downplay the effect NIL will have on the Bammer program. NIL money makes the Gump's cheating much less effective. The tea-baggers don't have near the alumni cash that many schools have.
You discount their decades of expertise in paying players.
They may not have as many ultra rich as some schools but I would guess their per centage of those they do have that actually donate is among the nation's leaders. While bama was in their slump pre saban they re-vamped their "collective" that buys players. Every po dunk county in the state has a bama club that solicits and collects for that slush fund.
Having alumni with cash means diddley squat if they don't throw the coin at football.

Last edited:
I'm just here living in the moment. Can't you just let me have a few hating on Bama comments in bliss?
Ha.. Yep, that is bliss alright. I live in Bama. I understand totally, but to rain on the parade - Until Bama actually has a crappy recruiting class (out of top 10), I won't believe it. I do like the logic that the trailer park people combining spare change are the reason for NIL not working for Bama.

SCOTUS did not ok pay for play (offering recruits money to play at X school). They gave the ok to NIL to student athletes already on campus. This isn’t a new rule and even when the new NIL rule was made, it clearly stated it was for players on campus and could not be used in recruiting. @LWSVOL is correct.

Reading through some of the wording on this, it is the schools (Presidents) driving this bus, not the NCAA. Presidents don’t want paying recruits to come to school and want to curve the tampering of offering NIL to transfer players. Will it work? Mark me down as a skeptic.

Think of this as the Texas A&M rule.

ATM rule for recruiting and USC rule for tampering, that’s your showponys.

Spot on, IMHO.

We may have a booster or two dissociated for inducing high school students, but the University itself is actually doing an excellent job pointing out where the line of acceptable conduct lies.

Cat is out of the bag. NCAA has no teeth, and high profile players know what their value is now.

The big schools, we all know who they, are crying because their money bags aren’t working anymore.
They cry to the NCAA, “it’s not fair” blah blah blah NCAA said “ oh crap, we didn’t think this through. All we wanted is for EA Sports to produce another great college football game.”
Retroactive is ridiculous. That’s like saying, let’s dig up Babe Ruth’s body and test it for PED’s.

another thing is can the NCAA define what a booster is? by definition a booster is anyone who has contributed to a schools athletics, that would be technically any fan that has bought a ticket or merch, and get around the state laws that make NIL legal including TN.....NCAA has no chance to win here.

The big schools, we all know who they, are crying because their money bags aren’t working anymore.
They cry to the NCAA, “it’s not fair” blah blah blah NCAA said “ oh crap, we didn’t think this through. All we wanted is for EA Sports to produce another great college football game.”
Retroactive is ridiculous. That’s like saying, let’s dig up Babe Ruth’s body and test it for PED’s.
I don't think the "big schools" have gone all-in on NIL yet. They are already successful and have other stuff to sell, i.e championships, wins, consistently large numbers of players drafted, etc. They are also still basically doing fine in recruiting, so they aren't sticking their necks out. Those who are all-in on NIL at this point are those with a big desire to win but nothing really to lose as far as recent program success/stability (e.g., us, Miami, Southern Cal, A&M).

Reactions: tngivm6 and njvols
I don't think the "big schools" have gone all-in on NIL yet. They are already successful and have other stuff to sell, i.e championships, wins, consistently large numbers of players drafted, etc. They are also still basically doing fine in recruiting, so they aren't sticking their necks out. Those who are all-in on NIL at this point are those with a big desire to win but nothing really to lose as far as recent program success/stability (e.g., us, Miami, Southern Cal, A&M).
100%...we were first dog off the porch in a big way because it's our window to get back in the game...but doesn't happen if we had another Butch/Pruitt 2.0. Finally got right coach/AD and have wind in our sails.

So what does this mean for us and Nico and we’ll Sprye? Kind of confused. Being honest.

It honestly doesn’t matter. In a unanimous Supreme Court decision these players have the right to earn as much as possible. Just like everyone else.

If they try, the die. Losing a court case by opposing or restricting NIL could start the move away from the NCAA.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
One other question. If they become employees of the university with no academic requirements, do the Title IX rules still apply? I don’t see how they would.
Some other civil rights laws could kick in though.
I wonder if going the other direction - making football a "club" sport, then contracting with Spyre to run the thing, would work. U-T used to have club gymnastics (probably still does) which would compete against schools with varsity gymnastics.

VN Store

Back