New NIL Rules

Saban has lost respect from me as a person.

I’ve said all along that he’s the best College Football Coach of all time but he’s become the biggest hypocrite when it comes to NIL.

After losing out on Nico due to not wanting to get into a “bidding war” with Tennessee, sealed the deal for me.

He’s done this under the table since he’s been at Bama but since it’s legal now, he doesn’t agree with it.

Can’t have it both ways.
Saban simply wants to retain the edge he has on some schools. Let’s be honest here most programs were cheating in some capacity especially in our conference; Bama, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Ole Miss, Tennessee, etc all of those schools have paid players or given illegal benefits to conduce players to come to their school. Bama has just been better at it than most.

The portal and NIL have dynamically changed the rules and if you’re the best coach in the country with the old rules you for sure don’t want them to change.

A little misleading ain't it?
Yes, very.

Here's how it would've looked if it had been honest:

On3 said:
BREAKING: University of Colorado AD and others who wish to remain unnamed are complaining about NIL.

If they had their way, the NCAA would stop running scared of the courts and set rules limiting NIL. The complainers want the new NIL guidelines to be retroactive, too. Colorado wishes guidelines would be published next week.

Last edited:
It is Obvious that the NCAA is way too Late to the NIL Party
In an afterthought their desire after the fact was to turn their Organization into one of more Power and Governance over College Athletics.
In contrast, The NCAA has never been organized to perform such a task nor has it been able to regulate, enforce, or administrate the tasks in it's own Charter currently.
Giving the NCAA the authority to do so will only increase and contribute to the problem resulting in more violations.
This is an Ad Hoc Organization, that can't even conduct a time investigation in a reasonable time frame. So why increase the workload and by doing so it will lead to an Epic Fail and business as usual
Inept is the best word to describe the NCAA.
It was a good thought many years ago but it has outlived its purpose and needs to be dissolved and restructured under a new Name.

The NCAA is controlled and administered by the College Presidents. At some point, the NCAA will be replaced. It might end up with multiple entities replacing by conferences or a group of conferences. BUT, whatever those organizations look like, they will be controlled and administered by the College Presidents. They will never give up that role. Emmert has always been controlled by Presidents. Sankey has always been controlled by Presidents. That will never change unless college athletics becomes something other than college athletics.

The NCAA is controlled and administered by the College Presidents. At some point, the NCAA will be replaced. It might end up with multiple entities replacing by conferences or a group of conferences. BUT, whatever those organizations look like, they will be controlled and administered by the College Presidents. They will never give up that role. Emmert has always been controlled by Presidents. Sankey has always been controlled by Presidents. That will never change unless college athletics becomes something other than college athletics.
I agree with everything you’ve said. I would say that the NCAA may not be replaced but it will be changed a great deal at the very least.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan

It's already no longer college athletics. You cannot call these players amateur athletes anymore. Plus if it is ever decided that these athletes are employees of the university and not merely student athletes, well there goes any academic requirements for these players. They may never have to sit in a classroom the entire time they play for the school. It will truly be minor league football at that point. Then you have to wonder, what's next to go? The 4 year eligibility rule? What if a player decides they'd rather play in these ranks beyond the 4 years because they are getting a better deal than what they would in the NFL? Are they going to change that rule too? Will college football eventually become the true competitor to the NFL?

To be fair, Saban’s recruiting classes are always ranked that low early on over the last few years. He doesn’t pick it up until late summer and will fly up the rankings
Makes it easier to get recruits if they think they are the only player at a position being offered.
"NIL" will not end the Saban dynasty, only Father Time will.
Commitments and signings mean nothing.
The clock starts when players are put on payroll.

Reactions: perico

Pandora’s box is open. Don’t see them being able to close it. The only way i see them somewhat being able to regulate it is somehow the athletic department separated from the university and become a developmental league. The university signs a contract with the respective team to lease out their name “UT Vols” and the facilities. Then the team or league can develop their own rules to govern the salary cap etc. the university gets it money from the negotiated contract and it would be up to the athletic franchise to make its money and rules.

Pandora’s box is open. Don’t see them being able to close it. The only way i see them somewhat being able to regulate it is somehow the athletic department separated from the university and become a developmental league. The university signs a contract with the respective team to lease out their name “UT Vols” and the facilities. Then the team or league can develop their own rules to govern the salary cap etc. the university gets it money from the negotiated contract and it would be up to the athletic franchise to make its money and rules.
And also get rid of scholarships.

As it stands today the NCAA has little to no power anymore. I believe once the P-5 conference consolidations are completed they'll form their own governing body.
I think it will be less than all the P5s. More like the top 32/48/64 teams. The real money is in the top schools when it comes to football and basketball. Why create an association of 100 schools where 32/48 are really the ones bringing in the TV bucks.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan

And also get rid of scholarships.

feeling a little schizophrenic today? :D

It's already no longer college athletics. You cannot call these players amateur athletes anymore. Plus if it is ever decided that these athletes are employees of the university and not merely student athletes, well there goes any academic requirements for these players. They may never have to sit in a classroom the entire time they play for the school. It will truly be minor league football at that point. Then you have to wonder, what's next to go? The 4 year eligibility rule? What if a player decides they'd rather play in these ranks beyond the 4 years because they are getting a better deal than what they would in the NFL? Are they going to change that rule too? Will college football eventually become the true competitor to the NFL?

I don't ever see colleges in general having student-athletes as "employees". Colleges will not venture into that. Not enough schools would support that type environment to make it feasible.

At best you might see colleges allowing their "name" to be used for a fee to support a team of college aged athletes in a minor league type environment.

Just never see colleges involved in funding athletic programs where student-athletes are involved that are not also pursuing academic degrees.

Thanks for your clarification....

Sounds like a 360 degree vicious with any replacement organizations continuing to do business the same. Wash Rinse Repeat.

I wonder why the Presidents have not ensured that the NCAA administrative Rules and Guidance side of Athletic Operations has not forced more pressure on the NCAA to act vs react to situations.

The NCAA got caught with their pants down because they inept.

Last edited:
Makes it easier to get recruits if they think they are the only player at a position being offered.
"NIL" will not end the Saban dynasty, only Father Time will.
Commitments and signings mean nothing.
The clock starts when players are put on payroll.

I wouldn't downplay the effect NIL will have on the Bammer program. NIL money makes the Gump's cheating much less effective. The tea-baggers don't have near the alumni cash that many schools have.

Saban simply wants to retain the edge he has on some schools. Let’s be honest here most programs were cheating in some capacity especially in our conference; Bama, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Ole Miss, Tennessee, etc all of those schools have paid players or given illegal benefits to conduce players to come to their school. Bama has just been better at it than most.

The portal and NIL have dynamically changed the rules and if you’re the best coach in the country with the old rules you for sure don’t want them to change.

I guess the true meaning is that Saban (Alabama) is totally against paying players in the open. They don't want anybody to know how much they pay each year under the table. Pruitt adopted/allowed the same practices here and got caught.

I would love to see CFB develop a pro league and think this would be the only way to create a real NFL competitor. Start the league with the top 20-30 revenue generating college teams. Season runs from May - July. Former college players who ran out of eligibility/weren’t drafted/were released by NFL teams can play another 4 years for their school’s pro team. We’re building this league on local fan name recognition so this limit keeps recent names around.

Players from schools without a pro team can enter a “transfer portal” and be picked up by a college pro team. Each team has to be at least 60% former players from their own school. Since the colleges are running this they can use their same logos, colors, stadiums, facilities, etc. just add the word Pro to the uniforms.

I don't ever see colleges in general having student-athletes as "employees". Colleges will not venture into that. Not enough schools would support that type environment to make it feasible.

At best you might see colleges allowing their "name" to be used for a fee to support a team of college aged athletes in a minor league type environment.

Just never see colleges involved in funding athletic programs where student-athletes are involved that are not also pursuing academic degrees.
I’m certain they could gin up some low bar degree -BS in football theory- and automatically enroll all of them.

Just a show for the sake of a show that had to be done. It will be important, and already established in the minds of those involved, that there must be a clear separation between the institutions and the collectives. Communicating is one thing, actual interaction is another. It will be necessary to prove that the money offered by the collectives is an attempt to gain control of player's earning potential outside the fields and courts of play, not on. Peyton had NFL money for his on field abilities and money from those wanting his N and I and L in their adds and promotions. No collusion necessary. I think the courts have placed a big burden on the NCAA or anybody else to defeat that and similar fact sets.

I think show is the right word, because what the NCAA feared more than anything else was ending up with inevitable earnings by the athletes being made by their institutions as employees or independent contractors. If you think Title IX was a problem before, add in discretionary income and see where that could go. So creating a quasi adversarial relationship with the funders, collectives in this case, is a necessary ploy. A few forays into court will be necessary too. But in the end they will accept defeat and fall back to the leveling the level playing field defense and force a distribution of the NIL worthy players across the broadest possible number of teams possible by accepting the existence of the money, but limiting the amount NIL money on rosters of each sport at each institution. Collectives will then have to offer money to players before they can be assured they will be able to attend specific schools or if the kids and the schools really want to each other and especially before they can be assured players will elect to stay at the original school, i.e. the kid from OSU to Texas first pass. NIL and ONE TIME are with us. They probably can be modified or regulated, but not eliminated. Peyton proved you could earn money in Indy and Denver, so linkage to specific schools will not be tolerated and court battles between collectives and players will mandate the collectives honor their deals regardless of jersey color.

VN Store

Back