New cars bought - prices paid

Some adjustments are/were ridiculous. Some adjustments are/were necessary. When the supply interruptions first started, I wouldn't allow any market adjustments. People started buying popular vehicles and flipping them to CarMax, carvana, etc for several grand more within days. I had to raise prices enough to disincentivize that.
LOL. Whatever. You price gouged.

For decades manufacturers, chasing marketshare, remained silent while dealers had to deeply discount vehicles... even selling some models at a loss.
If they now can't produce enough to keep up with demand and dealers sell over MSRP, they need to remain silent.
What we need is to deregulate and just let the manufacturers sell direct to consumer.

I’m going to hallmark tomorrow to get my wife’s palisade that just came in. You have any tips or things to watch out for when then deal sheet comes out?
Hallmark is straight man, which is why I recommended them. I’d appreciate if you mentioned I recommended them, I think I get $100 haha. Darrell Green. Rod Parkin was my salesman, he’ll know who I am

Independent mechanics..
exactly. the same shops that service the after-market extended protection plans. traditionally, many of the import manufacturers certify mechanics that are not affiliated with a dealership so consumers know they can get experienced work done on a jaguar (or whatever) even if they are hundreds of miles from a dealership. I don't know the big 3 US manufacturers do those sort of certifications, but if they don't they could certainly start. The fact is that pretty much every franchise contract for a dealership with a big 3 manufacturer specifies that selling above MSRP is breach. Manufacturers looked the other way the past couple of years but there is no reason for them to keep doing so. All it's going to take is one state to allow direct-to-consumer sales and then everyone will be able to bypass their local dealerships by buying online, which states cannot regulate.

People were selling new cars to Carmax for a couple thousand profit? So I guess Carmax had to sell them for a few thousand more than that to make a profit. So why were people paying Carmax 5 thousand more for a used car than they would pay for that same car new? I don't understand
Because that was the market on some models.

exactly. the same shops that service the after-market extended protection plans. traditionally, many of the import manufacturers certify mechanics that are not affiliated with a dealership so consumers know they can get experienced work done on a jaguar (or whatever) even if they are hundreds of miles from a dealership. I don't know the big 3 US manufacturers do those sort of certifications, but if they don't they could certainly start. The fact is that pretty much every franchise contract for a dealership with a big 3 manufacturer specifies that selling above MSRP is breach. Manufacturers looked the other way the past couple of years but there is no reason for them to keep doing so. All it's going to take is one state to allow direct-to-consumer sales and then everyone will be able to bypass their local dealerships by buying online, which states cannot regulate.
No manufacturer dealer agreement specifies that you can't sell above or below msrp.

I'd be ok with that though. How about you?

Hallmark is straight man, which is why I recommended them. I’d appreciate if you mentioned I recommended them, I think I get $100 haha. Darrell Green. Rod Parkin was my salesman, he’ll know who I am
They’re asking for your phone number and address at Hyundai

Because that was the market on some models.
You must not be understanding my question. You said people were buying new from the dealers - then selling to Carmax for a profit - then Carmax would sell for a profit. So for example some guy buys a new Camry for 34,000 - then he sells it to Carmax for 37,000- then Carmax sells it for 40,000. Are you saying that's what was happening? Then my question is why would a person pay Carmax 40,000 for that used Camry if the dealer had new ones for 34,000? It doesn't matter what the market for the used Camry was if the dealer had new ones cheaper. Why would you pay more for a used Camry from Carmax than a new Camry from Beaman Toyota?

Reactions: Danl and -GiveHim6-
You must not be understanding my question. You said people were buying new from the dealers - then selling to Carmax for a profit - then Carmax would sell for a profit. So for example some guy buys a new Camry for 34,000 - then he sells it to Carmax for 37,000- then Carmax sells it for 40,000. Are you saying that's what was happening? Then my question is why would a person pay Carmax 40,000 for that used Camry if the dealer had new ones for 34,000? It doesn't matter what the market for the used Camry was if the dealer had new ones cheaper. Why would you pay more for a used Camry from Carmax than a new Camry from Beaman Toyota?
I'd wager that due to supply in many cases there wasn't any new Camrys to be had at 34 or 38 or 44

Reactions: GroverCleveland
I got lucky a few weeks ago and found a Toyota Highlander on the lot for my wife. Actually got it under MSRP even though they were showing me other vehicles that still had the "market adjustment" that I kept rolling my eyes at.

Bought a Tesla Performance Model Y 2023 on Nov 3, 2022. Price including taxes, registration etc... $70,290

One surprise was that I overlooked the fact that the remote garage door opener, I think it's called HomeLink is a $350 option that wasn't included on the car. It does have a trailer hitch that will be good for our bike rack.

Buying experience with Tesla is really different, we had a sales person (the store was in a mall) that was weird and ok. We have a Mercedes E300 2018 and the first thing she says to us when we get out of the Mercedes is "if you're expecting the finished details that you have on your Mercedes you don't want a Tesla" then she proceeded to show us where the finished details with the Tesla weren't perfect. Also, it's basically, you, the sales person, a laptop and a test drive. Then you put down $250 and wait for delivery.

Note: after driving an EV for a couple months, I'm not sure I can or would go back to a gas powered vehicle.

Absolutely love it and can't wait for spring. Bought a Badlands Sasquatch LUX in Iconic Silver soft top. Pop two latches and entire top opens in seconds. Terrible gas mileage at ~15 mpg is the only issue but that comes with the gearing and 35" tires. Have not been 4 wheeling yet.
I reeeaallly want the heritage edition in red. 2 door manual...

Reactions: TN404
There were many months where a late model used vehicle would sell for more than msrp on popular models.
‘The biggest reason is you need/want it now and it’s not available. When the new Tundra came out, it was 8 months before one made it to my lot. They were all presold.

Reactions: StarRaider
The key thing here is was there any available. For a significant stretch they were being bought before the truck arrived. So if someone wanted a Camry or whatever, plenty of folks paid the asking price because otherwise they did without.

Reactions: txbo
Finally this one today after waiting for months. ‘23 Palisade. @YankeeVol - I turned in your info, I hope they hook you up. You were right, super straight guys to work with at Hallmark Hyundai. The tech on this thing is nuts.

Attachments

• A8052FF3-6FA2-404C-9B49-E789A49ADC63.jpeg
    A8052FF3-6FA2-404C-9B49-E789A49ADC63.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20

VN Store

Back