New cars bought - prices paid

I went to the same dealership to check out an EV6. Loved the car and they had it sold, but they wanted me to pay 10k dealer markup. I said nope, they came back with 5k markup, so I walked out. They called me the next day asking about 2500 markup, still holding out. If more of us refuse to pay these markups they will have to stop doing that.
If you think you have that kind of power, you may be right, or you may be over playing your hand. You’re assuming that everyone is operating like you. If you’ve ever been to an auction, it’s always the last person with their hand up that wins. Even if 40 people say hell no, it only takes one. The only thing that will change it is supply. Dealers are tying to make a living selling a fraction of the inventory. This has resulted in dealers paying more than they should for trades.

sounds like they are trying to work with you. It’s not then doing anything except abiding by the market. Exactly the same when they were selling back of invoice and giving rebates. No different.

Plenty of dealers didn’t. And that’s the first question I ask any dealership I interview at because I’d rather work at McDonalds than for those that take advantage of people.
And they are likely suffering for it now. Were customers taking advantage of you when you sold for under invoice and got rebates and 0% financing? You bet. Was it wrong? No. It was the market.

You said earlier that’s not why you got out. So, you’re saying the limited inventories which limited your opportunities and income had no impact on you leaving?

I can't stand the constant switching. If I need my high beams, I'll turn them on myself. Just like I've been doing the past 18 years.

My 2022 Honda has a idle stop feature. I have to turn it off every time I start it up or it will activate whenever I come to a stop. So aggravating at redlights and drive thru's if I didn't turn it off. As far as I know, you can't permantly deactivate it

They say the idle stop feature saves gas. How much could it really save?

Plenty of dealers didn’t. And that’s the first question I ask any dealership I interview at because I’d rather work at McDonalds than for those that take advantage of people.
I agree that some dealers took advantage. I believe their customers will remember too.
There are also many dealerships that wouldn’t have survived without some market adjustments.

Last edited:
Reactions: YankeeVol
My 2022 Honda has a idle stop feature. I have to turn it off every time I start it up or it will activate whenever I come to a stop. So aggravating at redlights and drive thru's if I didn't turn it off. As far as I know, you can't permantly deactivate it

Hate those too. I also wonder how it impacts the life of the starter.

Reactions: McDad and vols 30
I agree that some dealers took advantage. I believe their customers will remember too.
There are also many dealerships that wouldn’t have survived without some market adjustments.
That‘s a good thing.

I think most folks that buy new cars not because they need one but they just want one. I know covid really screwed with supply and dealers had to do what they had to do. I'm sure some took advantage, there are bad eggs in every type of business. I've thought about trading my wife's 2015 highlander several times but can't justify it. That being said, I feel for those that desperately need a new car with prices the way they are.

I've done pretty good. Sold a 2017 Fiat 124 Spider for almost 4 grand more than I bought it for almost 4 years prior. Carmax.

Bought a 21 VW Golf last year from Carvana for MSRP (was used but only place I could find a manual transmission). Figured I way overpaid and would eat it eventually but I sold it back to them 8 months later for $400 less then I gave them. Couldn't pass up the chance to get out from it - no way I'd not take a big hit after things go back to normal. They ended up selling it for $4K over MSRP (a 2 owner car).

Have generally done well on trades and not overpaid too much - bought a Chevy Silverado Crew 4x4 that I probably overpaid for but in a couple years I should be alright given how few miles I'll put on it and the fact it's 4x4.

Can be a good time if you aren't desperate but can be a terrible time if you are. I typically have 3 cars at a time so I can always find the one with the best value to move if the opportunity comes along. I didn't want to sell the Fiat but I couldn't pass up the deal. Same with the Golf. Those deals will not come along again.

I've done pretty good. Sold a 2017 Fiat 124 Spider for almost 4 grand more than I bought it for almost 4 years prior. Carmax.

Bought a 21 VW Golf last year from Carvana for MSRP (was used but only place I could find a manual transmission). Figured I way overpaid and would eat it eventually but I sold it back to them 8 months later for $400 less then I gave them. Couldn't pass up the chance to get out from it - no way I'd not take a big hit after things go back to normal. They ended up selling it for $4K over MSRP (a 2 owner car).

Have generally done well on trades and not overpaid too much - bought a Chevy Silverado Crew 4x4 that I probably overpaid for but in a couple years I should be alright given how few miles I'll put on it and the fact it's 4x4.

Can be a good time if you aren't desperate but can be a terrible time if you are. I typically have 3 cars at a time so I can always find the one with the best value to move if the opportunity comes along. I didn't want to sell the Fiat but I couldn't pass up the deal. Same with the Golf. Those deals will not come along again.
I'm getting rid of the Jeep. It's the first vehicle in nearly 3 years that I'll take a little loss on.

If a GR86 can be found, that's my next toy (unless I take the Acura job and then it'll be the Intrega Type-S)

Which Honda? We’re a couple of years (hopefully) away from being in the market but would love to avoid having that feature. It’s always been annoying on rentals I’ve had.

Which Honda? We’re a couple of years (hopefully) away from being in the market but would love to avoid having that feature. It’s always been annoying on rentals I’ve had.
Anything new, and you’re almost guaranteed to have it.

Most vehicles youbcan turn it off(you have to every time you get in).

It’s possible to get it ”turned off,” but it may void your warranty

Reactions: ATC_VOL

May save a tiny amount of gas, but it is definitely shortening the life of the starter.

Reactions: txbo and vols 30
My son just bought a 2023 Hyundai Tucson SEL Convenience. That's the trim level with power and heated seats, power lift gate, power moon roof, auto climate control and every lane assist warning light known to man. Got it at Murfreesboro Hyundai. Paid MSRP + tax, title and tags and a small doc fee ( he didn't say how much ). Price OTD was 35,565. He put 20K down and Hyundai has 2.9% financing through the end of February.

Went by Music City Honda today to look at the CR-Vs. They only had hybrids on the lot, which I'm not interested in. I could buy a gas model and get it within a couple months. MSRP for the EX trim would be between 32K and 33K. They add 4,900 to the MSRP on all CR-Vs, which would put it to around 38K. With tax and tag you are at around 40K otd. Salesman told me that for the added 4,900 you get free oil changes and tire rotations for 24 months. Tempting but I'll have to pass.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
May save a tiny amount of gas, but it is definitely shortening the life of the starter.
My son has it on his SUV. There is a button to disable it each time you start the car. When you leave it enabled it's annoying as crap. It sort of shudders and cuts off, like a car that has the idle speed set too low and dies at a stop. It starts back when you take your foot off the brake but there is a small delay. When the engine cuts off the A/C is cut to 50%. That would suck in summertime. Some models claim that when the outside temps reach a certain level that the feature automatically cuts off in order to provide full A/C.

I did a little research and read in some forums where people have had trouble at intersections because of the feature. The engine stops while braked, waiting for oncoming traffic to clear so you can turn left. Then when you hit the gas there is a delay before you can go. You have to re-learn how much space you need before the next car comes in order to turn left safely.

Eventually somebody will get t-boned and killed because the feature will lag too much and a driver will misjudge the amount of time they have to turn left.

My son has it on his SUV. There is a button to disable it each time you start the car. When you leave it enabled it's annoying as crap. It sort of shudders and cuts off, like a car that has the idle speed set too low and dies at a stop. It starts back when you take your foot off the brake but there is a small delay. When the engine cuts off the A/C is cut to 50%. That would suck in summertime. Some models claim that when the outside temps reach a certain level that the feature automatically cuts off in order to provide full A/C.

I did a little research and read in some forums where people have had trouble at intersections because of the feature. The engine stops while braked, waiting for oncoming traffic to clear so you can turn left. Then when you hit the gas there is a delay before you can go. You have to re-learn how much space you need before the next car comes in order to turn left safely.

Eventually somebody will get t-boned and killed because the feature will lag too much and a driver will misjudge the amount of time they have to turn left.
Start/stop technology has been around for years. If thats not a problem yet (it's not), it never will be.

Start/stop technology has been around for years. If thats not a problem yet (it's not), it never will be.

Isn't there a setting to disable it full time so you don't have to do it every time you start your car? I hate it when a rental car has start/stop which most of them do now.

Isn't there a setting to disable it full time so you don't have to do it every time you start your car? I hate it when a rental car has start/stop which most of them do now.
There are 3rd party workarounds. I would think they’d void the warranty though.

Not on our VW. It used to bother me, but I've grown used to it. The startup is very quick and quiet.

Me and the wife just bought a 2020 Ford Escape. This car is fully loaded with all the bells and whistles for 24K. Not sure if this is the new normal or we just got screwed?

After looking for a few weeks we decided on a Tucson. Wilson County Hyundai. Got the SEL trim - which has power and heated seats and the hands free liftgate. White Pearl with black seats. This one had a tow hitch included, which is good because I have a utility trailer. MSRP was 30,800. They discounted the price 1,322 to 29,478. Tax, title and tags + a doc fee totaled 2625 for 32,103 OTD. I got 0% financing for 4 years. They do free oil changes and tire rotations for the first 3 years. 5 years free roadside assistance. 10 year powertrain warranty. 5 year/60,000 bumper to bumper.

After looking for a few weeks we decided on a Tucson. Wilson County Hyundai. Got the SEL trim - which has power and heated seats and the hands free liftgate. White Pearl with black seats. This one had a tow hitch included, which is good because I have a utility trailer. MSRP was 30,800. They discounted the price 1,322 to 29,478. Tax, title and tags + a doc fee totaled 2625 for 32,103 OTD. I got 0% financing for 4 years. They do free oil changes and tire rotations for the first 3 years. 5 years free roadside assistance. 10 year powertrain warranty. 5 year/60,000 bumper to bumper.
0% financing is incredible, didn't think that was possible.

VN Store

Back