NCAA rules against Tn. No bowl ban

OK good, CBS suggested it was a harsh ruling by the ncaa.

It's harsh in the sense that it's highest fine for recruiting violations that they have ever handed out. But you can always make more money. It's nice to see them but want to punish the current players who had nothing to do with what happened.

Didn’t have time to read all the posts and it may have already been said. $8 million sounds like a lot. But in the overall picture, it’s cheaper than having to buyout Pruitt at that time. That would have cost $12.5 million. This investigation and now an $8 million fine allowed us to fire him with cause and Beldar gets squadoosh. There’s always the attorney fees to consider but a buyout would not have precluded an investigation. Still probably would have had attorney fees even if they bought him out. Firing him with cause made UT look better in the eyes of the NCAA. Maybe my math is all wrong but didn’t we just save money?

The scholarship reductions hurt but I hope those are spread out over a number of years. Bottom line is I think we did OK.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
If those players were ineligible and then transferred to other schools, wouldn’t they then be ineligible at the school and the same rule apply to those programs for vacated wins? Or am I way off here?

I know it was reported that some players were given amnesty if they cooperated and talked to NCAA. Since they have no subpoena power that is how they try get information and I imagine Henry T was one of them.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Didn’t have time to read all the posts and it may have already been said. $8 million sounds like a lot. But in the overall picture, it’s cheaper than having to buyout Pruitt at that time. That would have cost $12.5 million. This investigation and now an $8 million fine allowed us to fire him with cause and Beldar gets squadoosh. There’s always the attorney fees to consider but a buyout would not have precluded an investigation. Still probably would have had attorney fees even if they bought him out. Firing him with cause made UT look better in the eyes of the NCAA. Maybe my math is all wrong but didn’t we just save money?

The scholarship reductions hurt but I hope those are spread out over a number of years. Bottom line is I think we did OK.

Agreed and they are. 12 over 5 or 6 yrs isn't bad at all.

I know it was reported that some players were given amnesty if they cooperated and talked to NCAA. Since they have no subpoena power that is how they try get information and I imagine Henry T was one of them.
Our school should have done that, too.

Oh, wait ... we did.

Last edited:
As usual - UT gets hosed by the corrupt ncaa - where are they supposed to get $8 million in cash?

All of the people crapping on Fulmer in here need to grow up. Did he do a good job as AD? No. Should he have ever been given that title? No. (And it’s not like we had a plethora of great coaches beating the door down to take the job).

That’s like being mad at the the person who sold you a new car that turned out to be a lemon, instead of being mad at the company that manufactured the car. But crapping on one of the best coaches we have ever had, who gave us over a decade in the upper echelon of the sport, and who brought us a national title. You all can get bent.

Last edited:
All of the people crapping on Fulmer in here need to grow up. Did he do a good job as AD? No. Should he have ever been given that title? No. (And it’s not like we had a plethora of great coaches beating the door down to take the job).

That’s like being mad at the the person who sold you a new car that turned out to be a lemon, instead of being mad at the company that manufactured the car. But crapping on one of the best coaches we have ever had, who gave us over a decade in the upper echelon of the sport, and who brought us a national title. You all can get bent.
I will get bent when you can give us the inside scoop as to how Fulmer got the AD job.

Reactions: Kungfuman2000
Does anybody have the text messages Pruitt sent? They’re behind a paywall on another site .

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I don’t know how bad this is, but it doesn’t seem to be just a slap on the wrist. What good did all the self imposed stuff do? Prevent bowl bans I guess. Thanks again Fulmer for making the worst hire in the history of the program.

Pruitt was obviously a dog. But, you have to keep in perspective what Phil inherited a week after Schiatnogate! Mel Tucker looks like the home run of the 3 scrubs Phil had left to choose from. But, nobody of relevance at that point wanted anything to do w TN. Not to mention that we were so late in the coaching carousel that every decent coach had plenty of better options and had taken them.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Can we voluntarily vacate all those losses too? Everything but GSU. They need it for marketing and we need it as a shrine of our 1½ decades of Lamentations.

We do have to vacate any wins in which ineligible players participated. We have fourteen days to provide the NCAA with a list of those wins.

"A vacation of all records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible. The university must provide a written report containing the contests impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 14 days of the public release of the decision." (Quoted from Boston Vol's summary in the other thread.)
I read this to mean vacating ALL games I which student-athletes competed while ineligible. wins AND losses, not just wins. It may be a wash as far as impacting Tennessee’s winning percentage. It will certainly impact total wins though.

We self-punished early on to the tune of 16 scholarship reduction. So that counts against the 28 total levied by the NCAA, we're all assuming. Leaving 12 still to give up.
2 or 3 a year depending on the year, but after 4 years of a 2 per year loss of scholarships is still a loss of 8 scholarship players after 4 years. 85 players becomes 77 players. Am I missing something here? I know NIL can try to make up the difference, but it’s still a hit.

Phil knew exactly what was going on. He probably encouraged it. He should be on the hook for part of the 8 million. I get the feeling Phil burnt the house down on his way out. Also, can we talk about the cars driven by Bama and Clemson players long before NIL?

VN Store

Back