NCAA rules against Tn. No bowl ban

"Tennessee has been placed on five years' probation, was given an $8 million fine among other financial penalties and will see a total reduction of 28 scholarships; the school was credited for its self-imposed 16-scholarship reduction over the past two seasons."

How will this loss of scholarships be handled? Is it 28-16=12 and those twelve happen at once, for one year, or over time? Could someone explain the nuts and bolts of this please?

"Tennessee has been placed on five years' probation, was given an $8 million fine among other financial penalties and will see a total reduction of 28 scholarships; the school was credited for its self-imposed 16-scholarship reduction over the past two seasons."

How will this loss of scholarships be handled? Is it 28-16=12 and those twelve happen at once, for one year, or over time? Could someone explain the nuts and bolts of this please?

I am pretty sure the reductions will be spread out over the 5 years

I noticed we lose some recruit visits as well, both official and unofficial visits.

The NCAA fined Tennessee $8 million, put the football program on probation for five years and imposed limits on scholarships and unofficial visits, the association announced Friday — but the Vols avoided a bowl ban for committing “hundreds of violations” under former coach Jeremy Pruitt, who received a six-year show-cause order.

Tennessee was docked 28 total scholarships, but the program has already self-imposed a penalty of 18 scholarships. Tennessee must also vacate all wins and records in which 16 sanctioned players participated.

Tennessee fined $8M for infractions, avoids bowl ban

Article is free to read for more details.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
We don't have to vacate any wins? WOW. The worst punishment of all the possibilities, totally avoided?

Please, please let this be true.

The $8M and 12 lost scholarships over 5 years, we'll hardly miss. And the probation, meh, nothing more than an, "I'm keeping my eye on you," from the investigators.

If this is all correct, we truly came out smelling like roses.

Pruitt, on the other hand...that dude will likely never coach at the college level again. In 6 years, he'll be in his mid-50s. Looking like he's a permanent high school coach from here on out, making tens of thousands of dollars a year. Good on him.

Go Vols!

We don't have to vacate any wins? WOW. The worst punishment of all the possibilities, totally avoided?

The $8M and 12 lost scholarships over 5 years, we'll hardly miss. And the probation, meh, nothing more than an, "I'm keeping my eye on you," from the investigators.

Go Vols!

We do have to vacate any wins in which ineligible players participated. We have fourteen days to provide the NCAA with a list of those wins.

"A vacation of all records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible. The university must provide a written report containing the contests impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 14 days of the public release of the decision." (Quoted from Boston Vol's summary in the other thread.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Starchief13VFL

Pruitt, on the other hand...that dude will likely never coach at the college level again. In 6 years, he'll be in his mid-50s. Looking like he's a permanent high school coach from here on out, making tens of thousands of dollars a year. Good on him.

Go Vols!
"The university will face vacated wins" I read in the CBS article.

We do have to vacate any wins in which ineligible players participated. We have fourteen days to provide the NCAA with a list of those wins.

"A vacation of all records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible. The university must provide a written report containing the contests impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 14 days of the public release of the decision."
Tell them we are the FBI and they are not getting it.

VN Store

Back