NCAA rules against Tn. No bowl ban

We do have to vacate any wins in which ineligible players participated. We have fourteen days to provide the NCAA with a list of those wins.

"A vacation of all records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible. The university must provide a written report containing the contests impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 14 days of the public release of the decision."

Not like there was many of them( wins) anyway!

We do have to vacate any wins in which ineligible players participated. We have fourteen days to provide the NCAA with a list of those wins.

"A vacation of all records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible. The university must provide a written report containing the contests impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 14 days of the public release of the decision."

If those players were ineligible and then transferred to other schools, wouldn’t they then be ineligible at the school and the same rule apply to those programs for vacated wins? Or am I way off here?

"A vacation of all records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible. The university must provide a written report containing the contests impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 14 days of the public release of the decision." (Quoted from Boston Vol's summary in the other thread.)
Ah, dammit. It was too much to hope.

Thanks for setting me straight.

We don't have to vacate any wins? WOW. The worst punishment of all the possibilities, totally avoided?

Please, please let this be true.

The $8M and 12 lost scholarships over 5 years, we'll hardly miss. And the probation, meh, nothing more than an, "I'm keeping my eye on you," from the investigators.

If this is all correct, we truly came out smelling like roses.

Pruitt, on the other hand...that dude will likely never coach at the college level again. In 6 years, he'll be in his mid-50s. Looking like he's a permanent high school coach from here on out, making tens of thousands of dollars a year. Good on him.

Go Vols!
I hate to say, but this part looks like vacating wins, unless I'm wrong. May I please be wrong :)

• A vacation of all records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible. The university must provide a written report containing the contests impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 14 days of the public release of the decision.

"Tennessee has been placed on five years' probation, was given an $8 million fine among other financial penalties and will see a total reduction of 28 scholarships; the school was credited for its self-imposed 16-scholarship reduction over the past two seasons."

How will this loss of scholarships be handled? Is it 28-16=12 and those twelve happen at once, for one year, or over time? Could someone explain the nuts and bolts of this please?

It would appear we lose an average of 2.4 schollies per year over 5 years. We must apply a minimum of 2 per year, so it may look like: 2,2,2,3,3 per season lost.

Huge win.

Nice work by Admin.

If those players were ineligible and then transferred to other schools, wouldn’t they then be ineligible at the school and the same rule apply to those programs for vacated wins? Or am I way off here?

I'm in no way qualified to answer, but I'd be shocked if those other schools had to vacate any wins, provided that they signed our ineligible players in accordance with NCAA regulations.

Reactions: onevol74
Can someone explain the talk of 12 lost scholarships when the VQ piece I read said 28? I’ve not read the NCAA infractions doc itself.

Oh, I guess we can thank Pruitt’s wife for being so involved with the football program 🤷🏻

Pruitt's payout would have been $12.6 million so you can offset the $8 million fine and say Tennessee is $4.6 million ahead.
Minus $2M in legal fees, and we're still up by $2.6M. Heh.

Shoulda spent that bribing the NCAA chief investigator to let us keep the vacated wins. ;)

Go Vols!

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Can someone explain the talk of 12 lost scholarships when the VQ piece I read said 28? I’ve not read the NCAA infractions doc itself.
We self-punished early on to the tune of 16 scholarship reduction. So that counts against the 28 total levied by the NCAA, we're all assuming. Leaving 12 still to give up.

"A vacation of all records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible. The university must provide a written report containing the contests impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 14 days of the public release of the decision." (Quoted from Boston Vol's summary in the other thread.)
That shouldn’t take long

Minus $2M in legal fees, and we're still up by $2.6M. Heh.

Shoulda spent that bribing the NCAA chief investigator to let us keep the vacated wins. ;)

Go Vols!
Lawyers gotta eat too. Wonder what Pruitt paid for his and his wife's representation?

At least any remote possibility Pruitt would see another dime from Tennessee died today.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Lawyers gotta eat too. Wonder what Pruitt paid for his and his wife's representation?

At least any remote possibility Pruitt would see another dime from Tennessee died today.
So did any chance of him being a college coach again I am thinking.

Selling out Neyland will more than pay for it. I’m just happy no bowl ban and it’s behind us. Other schools won’t be able to use this as a recruiting tool against us anymore

I agree completely. This ended up being about the best result we could get.

Being bowl eligible is huge and allows the program to continue moving forward.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

Shouldn’t Alabama have to vacate wins in which a certain LB participated?

Probably about 11.

It will hurt. We will drop so far below UGa (and USCw) that it could take decades to catch up again.

I doubt it would be all 11 wins, depending on the time of year the penalties occurred and who played in which games. But honestly I could careless about total wins. We don't deserve those and don't want any wins by Pruitt's name. Considering what we could have gotten, this is basically smelling like a rose.

Reactions: EZE
I hate to say, but this part looks like vacating wins, unless I'm wrong. May I please be wrong :)

• A vacation of all records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible. The university must provide a written report containing the contests impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 14 days of the public release of the decision.

Maybe I’m reading it wrong, but it sounds like some of our records get a free vacation.

VN Store

Back