NCAA Open Jobs Thread

Cal: Head coach Sonny Dykes is nearing an agreement on a contract extension and raise, according to Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman.

West Virginia: Head coach Dana Holgorsen will return in 2016, according to ESPN’s Brett McMurphy.

I guess Charlie Strong returns also -- I dont see any big names for Texas right now

Cal: Head coach Sonny Dykes is nearing an agreement on a contract extension and raise, according to Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman.

West Virginia: Head coach Dana Holgorsen will return in 2016, according to ESPN’s Brett McMurphy.

I can't figure why they're keeping Holgorsen around. It seems like he's been about to be canned the last three seasons.

I wouldn't understand a move from Whittingham. seems like a step back. going from the pac-12 to independent?

Southern Miss offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey will be the new offensive coordinator at Arizona State, per Sports Illustrated. Lindsey passed on an offer to become head coach at Eastern Kentucky earlier this week. Lindsey served as OC / QBs at Southern Miss the past two seasons. He served as an offensive analyst at Auburn in 2013 and was head coach at Spain Park HS (Alabama) before that.

ECU: Bruce Feldman reports tonight that Everett Withers, Shane Beamer and Brady Hoke have interviewed and Gene Chizik “is also believed to be someone ECU is interested in”.

BYU: Navy head coach Ken Niumatalolo’s agent stated today that Kenny plans to tour BYU’s campus and facilities on Monday.

Texas: Reports out of Austin state that Tulsa’s Sterlin Gilbert has accepted Texas’ offer to become their new offensive coordinator; however at this time, sources tell FootballScoop nothing has been agreed to. While, a deal certainly could be reached, at this time no offer has been extended. Tulsa officials have now confirmed the same as we reported…at this time no offer has been made to Sterlin Gilbert. No reason to think an offer still couldn’t be made, and if so it could be accepted; but at this time that has not happened.

Reactions: 1 person
Brett McMurphy
‏@McMurphyESPN

Tulsa co-OC Sterlin Gilbert has turned down 3-year deal to become Texas’ OC sources told @ESPN

When you turn down Texas for Tulsa...

Related: there is no way Strong makes it to 2017.

Former Bucs HC Greg Schiano expected to accept Assoc HC/DC at Ohio State, per source; will replace former OSU DC Chris Ash, new Rutgers HC.

When you turn down Texas for Tulsa...

Related: there is no way Strong makes it to 2017.

Stay in Tulsa...go to a P5 team where you might get noticed...

I have to chuckle at watching the train wreck Texas has become in recent years. Along with their arrogant fans.

Tulane: Tulane is nearing an agreement with Georgia Southern head coach Willie Fritz

Texas: Well, this is bizarre. UT president Greg Fenves is flying to Tulsa to meet with Sterlin Gilbert, according to Orangebloods, the Dallas Morning News and Austin American-Statesman. Orangebloods reports Texas has gotten Gilbert to agree to a three-year contract, but needs offensive line coach Matt Mattox to jump on board as well. The Statesman reports Charlie Strong and AD Mike Perrin are coming along as well. Stay tuned to this one.

Texas: In the wake of the news today and earlier this week with TCU’s Sonny Cumbie, UT president Greg Fenves tweeted Friday afternoon, “I fully support Charlie Strong. I am committed to helping him move Longhorn Football forward.”

Texas: Well, this is bizarre. UT president Greg Fenves is flying to Tulsa to meet with Sterlin Gilbert, according to Orangebloods, the Dallas Morning News and Austin American-Statesman. Orangebloods reports Texas has gotten Gilbert to agree to a three-year contract, but needs offensive line coach Matt Mattox to jump on board as well. The Statesman reports Charlie Strong and AD Mike Perrin are coming along as well. Stay tuned to this one.

Texas: In the wake of the news today and earlier this week with TCU’s Sonny Cumbie, UT president Greg Fenves tweeted Friday afternoon, “I fully support Charlie Strong. I am committed to helping him move Longhorn Football forward.”

The deal they are offering is:

1st year $600 k
2nd year $700 k
3rd year $800 k

Cumbie is already making $750 k as Co-OC at TCU

Last edited:
The deal they are offering is:

1st year $600 k
2nd year $700 k
3rd year $800 k

Texas pres can talk all he wants Strong is finished if they have another year like this one...I'd only take it if it was guaranteed money

Texas pres can talk all he wants Strong is finished if they have another year like this one...I'd only take it if it was guaranteed money

Rumor is that it will be guaranteed. You're right, anything less than 7 wins, maybe 8, and Strong is toast.

Saw on Texags today that Strong and Sumlin are having a race to the bottom lol

Don't think Briles is too thrilled about his offense being implemented in Austin.

Gilbert served as a graduate assistant on Art Briles' staff at Houston in 2005 and worked for two Briles proteges, Philip Montgomery and Dino Babers, during his rise through the coaching ranks.

"We have to work harder now," Briles said Thursday night from The Home Depot College Football Awards ceremony. "It's like when someone gets into your bank account and steals your identity."

All Gilbert needs is an OL, a QB, some WRs and a chance to call plays for the first time in his career. Wonder if Texas will give him and Charlie three years to do this?

East Carolina: Duke offensive coordinator Scottie Montgomery will be the next head coach at ECU, per Bruce Feldman.

I added Georgia Southern...forgot they were FBS..If we have one more opening (Navy) that would give us 25 for the season...that's 20% of all FBS jobs that will have a new coach next year

USCe-filled Will Muschamp
USCw-filled Clay Helton
Miami-filled Mark Richt
Maryland-filled DJ Durkin
Central Florida-filled Scott Frost
Illinois- filled Bill Cubit
North Texas-filled Seth Luttrell
Minnesota-filled Tracy Claeys
Virginia Tech-filled Justin Fuente
Hawaii- filled Nick Rolovich
Missouri-filled Barry Odom
Louisiana-Monroe
Iowa State-filled Matt Campbell
Syracuse-filled Dino Babers
Memphis-filled Mike Norvelle
Tulane-filled Willie Fritz
Toledo-filled Jason Candle
Virginia-filled Bronco Mendenhall
Georgia-filled Kirby Smart
Rutgers- filled Chris Ash
East Carolina-filled Scottie Montgomery
BYU
Bowling Green- filled Mike Jinks
Georgia Southern

Just a matter of time imo before Navy coach is named HC at BYU

You don’t typically see coaches talk openly about specific jobs, especially before the season ends, but BYU is a unique situation for Ken Niumatalolo.

The Navy head coach will travel to BYU early next week and meet with officials. The news first came out via Niumatalolo’s agent speaking to the Capital Gazette. Niumatalolo is Mormon, and his son is a linebacker on the team.

On College Gameday before Saturday's game against Army, the coach talked more about the job.

“Several schools contact my agent. Quite frankly, I wasn’t that interested in them,” he said. “I love the Naval academy. I love what it stands for. But when this one opened up, it’s different. It’s just different for me. My faith is everything to me. This is the only reason. I just feel like I need to listen to what they have to offer, and that’s it.

VN Store

Back