NCAA advisory panel discusses the reality of not playing college football in 2020

Dr. William Schaffner at Vanderbilt and on the coronavirus NCAA advisory panel discusses the reality of not having a college football season

College football is historic stadiums, lots of fans, and celebrating big wins.

So either way, Dr. Schaffner and Vandy wont experience college football in 2020.

I keep saying it and there is no way for this not to turn political.

But, people are not going to volunteer for an economic collapse.

I believe strongly football will be played. Movie theaters will be open. Schools will be open. Etc., etc, etc.

Otherwise, I better brush up on the Hunger Games to find out what district I'm in.

Safety has to be paramount. If we can get it done safely, do that. If not, then we may lose a season.

It sucks but health comes before sport.

Maybe they could delay the season a bit? My guess is the bulk of corona is over by August-September.

So, I'm mixing a couple of threads with this comment, but there are so many issues to consider. The economic impact of not having a 2020 season for every school would be horrendous, and the fact that players need to play to get better (internal/external competition and so forth), recruiting impact, and on and on, tells me that some sort of season must occur. But, I just don't think anyone knows what the talking heads (at the NCAA level) will decide. Heck, I don't think they even know where this is going, yet.

Personally, I do believe schools will be playing football---theoretically, coaches, staff, and players and so forth can be repeatedly tested to ensure no spreading of the virus. I just don't know what the 2020 season is going to look like for the fans. I already made my donation back before the pandemic hit and I've received no word of how recent events may impact the 2020 season from UT, to date. I have no idea what to expect at this point.

Safety has to be paramount. If we can get it done safely, do that. If not, then we may lose a season.

It sucks but health comes before sport.

Maybe they could delay the season a bit? My guess is the bulk of corona is over by August-September.
Based on the likely timeline for development of a vaccine, and the current lack of well regarded preventive treatments, it is possible there won't be a season in 2021 either.

Reactions: 08Vol and Coach_Z

I believe strongly football will be played. Movie theaters will be open. Schools will be open. Etc., etc, etc.

Otherwise, I better brush up on the Hunger Games to find out what district I'm in.
They already are, bro.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel

You are in district 14. That is the unmentioned district that managed the sewage system in Panem.

In a different thread I opined that the season may start mid to late September. For the safety of the players that would require that organized workouts resume by 8-1 +/- with at least 10 to 15 extra practices added to preseason camp. In this case the s&c staff become the most important members of the program.

That brings about another group of questions:
1. No conference championship?
2. Restructure conf schedule and eliminate all non-conf games?
3. Are the cannon fodder teams compensated for not playing?
4. How are the TV deals restructured for a much shorter schedule?
5. Are donations prorated due to less product while the schools get less income,too?
6. Will there be some form of indemnity for schools if it is later determined that stadium X was a hotspot for a massive rekindling of the pandemic?

We are truly in uncharted waters.

On a Gator board, someone did a little research regarding 1918 when the Spanish Flu was around. There was indeed football played in 1918. Many schools did not play their normal schedule (amount of games) at that time, but according to research that was more due to the impact of World War I than the Spanish Flu.

Based on the likely timeline for development of a vaccine, and the current lack of well regarded preventive treatments, it is possible there won't be a season in 2021 either.

If we are still in lockdown mode come fall 2021, be prepared to live in a country where you have no job, no retirement, and you eat only because the government gives you about $500 a month to not starve

VN Store

Back